Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Coffee Houses with WIFI

I just moved back to Detroit after 4 years and I can't seem to find any recent threads on Detroit coffee houses. I am trying to finish up my thesis and don't work well from home. What are your favorite coffee houses in Detroit to study from?

I used to go to Amsterdam in the Forest Arms. Years ago I went to Zoots. I was going to head over to Cafe 1923 but would be open to new ideas. Hamtramck is a bit of a haul by bike from Cass Park.

Thanks in advance!

Thistle Coffee Shop is right across from the Bronx.

Still waiting on Bottom Line Coffee to open over on Third.

I second Thistle. I work out of there often.

Also, Cafe Con Leche in Mexicantown is super chill and comfortable. Probably the same distance to CCL as it is to Hamtramck, though.

If you're into classy coffee shops, check out the joint in the Park Shelton. They have water with strawberries floating in it. It's like crack. And free.

What is Zoots?

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    What is Zoots?
    Zoot's was a hipster coffeehouse on Second next to the Bronx back in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    What is Zoots?
    Best. Coffeehouse. Ever.

My first date with my wife was coffee at Zoots followed by an evening of terrible William Castle movies at the DFT.

There is a coffee house in where the old Passport Pizza used to be across from the Bronx. Never been there...

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Best. Coffeehouse. Ever.

My first date with my wife was coffee at Zoots followed by an evening of terrible William Castle movies at the DFT.
    I went there once. My old pal Michael Cooper used to work there.

EZZ: You are describing the Thistle Coffee House.

Biggbe's [[sp?).... it's a chain but the wifi is FREE!

Thistle Coffeehouse would be the ticket here. Incredibly friendly people, the coffee is all french pressed [[but still somehow the least expensive in town), and you get 10 free pages printed for each coffee you buy. Not a bad deal.

Despite the kind of awkward location [[in a strip mall with a parking lot) the coffee shop has managed to achieve a really warm and cozy environment. There's certainly a good set of regulars. Some of the most interesting conversations going on are happening at Thistle, and most everyone is friendly enough to hold a conversation with a stranger.

I suggest the "dirty" chai tea latte and the oversized chair in the corner.

oh dirty chai. My favorite. Thanks everyone!

Ugh! Chai! I don't care how fancy the brand it tastes like hot dirt to me... Give me a green or ginger tea first!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukabottle View Post
    oh dirty chai. My favorite. Thanks everyone!

Stopped in at Thistle. Great location, like the decor. However, the espresso I ordered was way overextracted and undrinkable. I'll try again soon.

Does the one next to Slows have Wifi? Thats not too far from Cass Park.

While we're on it? Will the burger place be open for parade day? I can recall that several years back the coffee house there closed a week before parade day! I would think that being open by the parade would be job #1 for the owners.

Though I haven't been to the coffeeshop in Corktown [[Astro's I think its called?) I've heard that it decidedly does not have WiFi.

I recall it having something to do with trying to resurrect the "old fashioned" coffee shop where people weren't looking at screens but rather talking to each other. Kind of a cool concept, but not the best place to work...unless you're distracted by the internet and don't need it to do you work.

In any case though, the coffee there is supposed to be delicious, they have some sort of fancy process they use to brew it. One cup at a time or something.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    Though I haven't been to the coffeeshop in Corktown [[Astro's I think its called?) I've heard that it decidedly does not have WiFi.

I recall it having something to do with trying to resurrect the "old fashioned" coffee shop where people weren't looking at screens but rather talking to each other. Kind of a cool concept, but not the best place to work...unless you're distracted by the internet and don't need it to do you work.

In any case though, the coffee there is supposed to be delicious, they have some sort of fancy process they use to brew it. One cup at a time or something.
    Astro = Elitist coffee. Not having wireless is just one example, they also have one "community" table and a few tiny tables, so no where to sit even if you wanted to! And everyone in there seems to be friends, so you'd be interrupting in their scene time. Plus, its four dollars for a tiny cup of coffee that takes forever to make. Might be a good concept in a coffee rich city such as San Francisco, but not Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Astro = Elitist coffee. Not having wireless is just one example, they also have one "community" table and a few tiny tables, so no where to sit even if you wanted to! And everyone in there seems to be friends, so you'd be interrupting in their scene time. Plus, its four dollars for a tiny cup of coffee that takes forever to make. Might be a good concept in a coffee rich city such as San Francisco, but not Detroit.
    Calling Astro elitist coffee is like calling Buddy's elitist pizza. As far as it not being a good concept for Detroit, they are thriving. If what you want is low quality coffee at a cheap price ar a hot n ready, there are plenty of options. If you want the best coffee there is and are willing to pay a little extra and have the patience to wait for it then Astro fits the bill. Lots of laptops in use there picking up the wireless from Slows.

Astro has the best coffee in town, and arguably the best baked goods, too. I don't know that it's any more expensive than any other coffee shops, but if it is, you're paying for insane quality.

It is a higher echelon place, but the people there are really friendly and inviting.

Le Petit Zinc in Corktown might also have wifi. That's a wonderful little spot with decent coffee.

If you're looking for somewhere in Midtown, I'd suggest Avalon or 14 East in the Park Shelton.

Does Motor City Java House have WiFi? It does have good coffee and great soups and sandwiches next to the Redford Theater....

Cass Cafe - free WIFI and right near the library. Good food too...

I don't know if it has WIFI and it's still working on more seating it seems but Germack in Eastern Market looks great!! I can't wait to try on Saturday mornings at the market.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...is-morning.php

There are *$ at Woodward and MLK as well as at the MGM Grand. Won't they have wifi? [[I don't even know if these are still around, I can't stand thier coffee, tastes like burned warmed over crap).

Default Germack Coffee Roasting Co. has WIFI

It is 2517 Russell St. in the Eastern Market.

Some people just won't ever 'get' what the beautiful folk at Astro are sharing with us...but their experience and enthusiasm flows with every fresh-poured cup of magical goodness. And their baked goods are second to NONE!

They charge a fair price for the extraordinary quality, and are always eager to answer questions...its not as if they are holding their wisdom tightly. They are great neighbors both on and off the job.

But this 'is' a thread about shops with Wifi. I am now 4G with my laptop, and can share it with four others at a time. Buy my coffee and breakfast sandwich...LOL...and we can work anywhere!

Cheers!

Pretty sure that Rowland Cafe in the Guardian Bldg. has Wifi. It's a good location for some work or a meeting.

I'll give another thumbs up to Astro Coffee. It is the best coffee in the city. The baked goods are creative and just outstanding as well. The price point is problematic though. If their business model is working, then who can complain? But they are succeeding without much business from the folks who need that extra large coffee every morning. It would be $10 or more at Astro's prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast