Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    I was there today, and I have never seen so
    many people. I expected to see more than usual but this was over the top. I'd guess around 200 came through during the 4 or 5 hours I was there.

I came to shoot the winters ravages on the place, but the light was so mediocre and the crowd so thick that I just ended up taking photos of people taking mediocre photos. A very bizzare day.
    I was there today too and couldn't believe the crowd. I just drove by to see what was up and had no intention of going in. When I seen all the people, I decided to park and go in. Had to be over 100 people at least. It was very bizarre.

I also agree, tons of medicore photos were probably being taken as well. Many years ago, Packard was a photo goldmine.

Occurrence Guest

Reading a lot of comments on the news articles and message boards, does anyone even know that the Packard Plant was a functioning facility up until the 90's when the city kicked everyone out and seized the property, then failed to secure the plant, allowing it to fall into disrepair?

From what I have read, the "owner" seems like a shady character, but why is everyone blaming him for the current condition of the place? It was pretty bad when the city had those two "guards" placed inside the gate inside the front offices.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    "... does anyone even know that the Packard Plant was a functioning facility up until the 90's when the city kicked everyone out and seized the property, then failed to secure the plant, allowing it to fall into disrepair?

"...but why is everyone blaming him for the current condition of the place? It was pretty bad when the city had those two "guards" placed inside the gate inside the front offices."
    Yes, it is a FACT that there were 90+ rent paying tenants in the buildings when the City tried to take it from him.

Here is a portion of a Detroit Free Press article:

“In the late 1990s, the plant had scores of rent- paying tenants who stored their cars and boats there, operated small businesses and staged paintball war games inside the tattered warren of buildings that straddle East Grand Boulevard.

It was also a time when the city believed it had title to the property through foreclosure for unpaid taxes. The state, meanwhile, planned to tear down the plant and remove hundreds of thousands of tires.

In August 1998, the plant's then-manager, Edward Portwood, died in the factory's executive offices. Within weeks, Cristini was collecting rents and managing the property. The city tried to evict him that fall, but he holed up inside while the city's gang squad stood guard.

In 1999, Cristini and his lawyers sued the city, saying it failed to give notice to mortgage holders when the city sought to foreclose on the property. Cristini's lawyers thwarted the state's demolition plans and launched what would become a decade-long legal battle.”

You can read more here:
    http://www.propertytaxrights.com/ind...id=68:michigan

The original November 2010 article by Jennifer Dixon and ML Elrick of the Free Press is no longer on line.

Yes, Cristini is a “shady” character, but the CofD used their police power to try and sieze the property from him. However, he has won in court and at every appeal process.

Reading a lot of comments on the news
    articles and message boards, does anyone even know that the Packard Plant was a functioning facility up until the 90's when the city kicked everyone out and seized the property, then failed to secure the plant, allowing it to fall into disrepair?

From what I have read, the "owner" seems like a shady character, but why is everyone blaming him for the current condition of the place? It was pretty bad when the city had those two "guards" placed inside the gate inside the front offices.
    You are correct ,the general Attitude has been is nobody is going to do any thing with it so it justifies in their mind stripping it ,doing their part to ensure nothing does happen so what you now see is the end result.

The water and sewerage dept were there today, looks like they finally fixed those leaking pipes in the basement beneath the offices.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    City Council should require before approval of demo that metal scrap monies be put into escrow until the time at which all demolition and debris removal is complete.
    I don't think it really makes a difference at this point.

Even if they tear half the place down, and run off with the money from selling the scrap, its better than leaving the entire thing standing./

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I don't think it really makes a difference at this point.

Even if they tear half the place down, and run off with the money from selling the scrap, its better than leaving the entire thing standing./

I really have to disagree. Any value in the scrap could be used to offset a proper demolition of the complex in the future. As it stands now there is no logical incentive for Christini to do any of the demolition properly. He's obviously not worried about any fines from the environmental aspects of it [[He apparently owes over 30k to the EPA). He's obviously not worried about fees or back taxes from the city [[He reportedly owes between 300k and 750k depending on what source one reads).

After reading a bit more of the back story on the complex I noticed that around the year 2000 several local "business men" paid some of the overdue taxes on the complex. This is a total assumption on my part, but I have a feeling they are leaning on Christini to get him do whatever possible to either repay their loans [[If they were loans) or take the scrap from the complex now as they may see this as their last chance to recoup some of their investment [[If it was an investment).

Again these are complete assumptions on my part based upon what I have read online and the reputations of the people involved.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-06-12 at 08:03 AM.

so are there signs of this big scary fence going up yet?
    lol

i dont feel like wasting my gas to go check.

So please someone fill in a tiny bit of back story. Edward Portwood died on the property and in swoops Crestini to take over? What was his relationship to Portwood? Crestini was the owner and Portwood was managing? Or did Crestini just come in and claim ownership? I've not heard this whole story of how he gained ownership of the property in the first place. And what was the cities rush to evict all these tenants when it was generating tax revenue?

Crostini is the owner and Ed Portwood was his onsite manager.

Why did the city evict? Because they thought they could sieze it. Cristini was buying on a land contract and been making debt service payments and tax payments to the title holder. But the title holder never sent the tax payments to the city. So the city foreclosed, but the city never bothered to do a title search before taking action - that was negligence and the court agreed with Cristini.
    Last edited by Packman41; March-06-12 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    The water and sewerage dept were there today, looks like they finally fixed those leaking pipes in the basement beneath the offices.
    Thank Bill Gallagher at Fox2 for that. I called and posted photos for months, but Bill got it shut off.

Also seems that he invited a few hundred people to come take pictures, too...

Came across this photo of the plant on the Library of Congress web site. Photo was taken at E. Grand Blvd and Canton. Below it is the Google shot I cropped from the same location. Top photo is c. 1910.

Going up and coming down.

Attachment 12206Attachment 12207

GUSHI Guest

Want there a kingsway around there.

To Ray1936:

Actually, the photo you posted is 1 frame from a 4 frame panorama and it was taken in 1911. Please see the panorama below. The car in the photo is a 1911 Model 30 [[UD) that was probably out on testing or adjustments as it wears one of Packard’s “manufacturers” license plates – 5062M. They used this plate well into the ‘teens.

There is a colorized version of this panorama and once I get it I will post it here.

Name:  packard plant - Copy.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  15.6 KB

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Thank Bill Gallagher at Fox2 for that. I called and posted photos for months, but Bill got it shut off.

Also seems that he invited a few hundred people to come take pictures, too...
    Thanks for not calling Mr. Charlie Leduff. That hack will just write false information and sensationalize the story for people who don't know any better.

Thanks for not calling Mr. Charlie Leduff. That hack will just write false information and sensationalize the story for people who don't know any better.
    you juss hatin' cause he's black
    lol

Occurrence Guest

Lol, no no no.

My hatred of Leduff goes back a few years with an article he wrote regarding frozen legs sticking out of ice. His fabrication and sensationalism of that story probably means he does it in others. I can't take anything he says seriously. Metro Times actually wrote a great story on the whole thing, I wish I could find it. I might have the physical copy stashed away somewhere, but I can't think of the writer or the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post

I have a copy of that from when it was first posted a few years back ,I believe it was by freep ,I am sure they will chime in soon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1385284.html

[[A city official said no one has applied for permits to demolish the building. "They haven't done anything," said Nate Ford, director of buildings, safety engineering and environment for the city. "We want it torn down.")

of course he does not come out and add so bad that we will insure nobody attempts to rehabilitate it.

Care much for your fellow citizens Mr. Ford ?

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    http://blog.preservationnation.org/2012/04/11/video-living-in-detroits-packard-plant/

It's interesting to see this kind of site from the perspective of a resident. Typically, abandoned sites are just that. Seeing this makes me want the impossible/unreasonable: to move it somewhere where it has a better economic chance. What about you? How do these buildings and this story move you?
    Maybe we can move it to the State Fair Grounds.

i went there to take pics about a month ago. just me, a couple of obvious suburbanites taking pics [[and looking mildly scared), and a couple of scrappers. i wasn't real impressed. i like the big tower, but didn't really see much else worth saving. i didn't explore the whole site, though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3