Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hardcore Pawn on 8 Mile & Greenfield

Been watching Hardcore Pawn on Tru TV. Wondering if anyone knows the owner or his son & daughter and what they're like. Has anyone been to the store & what was their experience like. Is it really as crazy as shown on tv? Where exactly is it-I've been told it's 8Mi&Greenfield. If this has already been discussed previously-my apologies.

Jack Cooley 61. Now living in Dallas area. Thanks

I went there in October to look at used snowblowers [[so far haven't had to use it lol ) TruTV just happened to be filming that day , as my wife and I approached the door a producer asked us if we were selling anything , we said no we're buying so that was that . I'm sure they were looking for something interesting like the H2 Hummer sitting out by the door . I didn't see too much crazy stuff/characters my hour there , but there was a few . The store is more on Greenfield/xway service drive not on 8 Mile , but you can see the store from the 8 Mile overpass . Don't know any of them but Les and his daughter were in the store , didn't see Seth anywhere . They were pretty organized , an employee help me load my snowblower in my car . I must have been there when it was quiet , no nuts causing trouble . Sop this video at about the 6:20 mark and then start and stop through the 6:25 mark , and you'll see my wife and I looking at the snowblowers , we had no idea we were being filmed , we both have Tigers jackets on .

I traded my Dell desktop for a Dell laptop plus $100.00. The guy on the left waited on me. I flirted he flirted and he threw in a really nice case, a cord, and a wireless mouse. I've been watching the show to see if I made the cut or got cut..

Name:  pawn.jpg
Views: 14035
Size:  31.2 KB
    Last edited by MidTownMs; March-01-12 at 07:37 PM.

The Father of Les Gold, had a pawnshop on Michigan Avenue. He got into a shootout with a customer [[ mid 80's I think ) he survived after being shoot in the buttocks.

He later moved the business to the the Green - 8 strip mall.

From what I understand, he was a really miserable guy.

i went there in may with my brother, niece & nephew because my nephew loves the show and want to visit.[[ they live in Georgia)
    They were filming that day and the family wanted to meet the owners. we got to and they were falling over themselves being nice. everyone was nice friendly and posed for pictures. they even used my brother & family in an episode. have not seen it yet though.

MidTownMs: does the laptop still work pretty good? how old was it?

What other types of electronics do they have in there? portable dvd players? vid-game systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    MidTownMs: does the laptop still work pretty good? how old was it?

What other types of electronics do they have in there? portable dvd players? vid-game systems?
    The laptop is a Dell Latitude D620. I am not sure how old it is but it works great. When I went they had all kinds of computers [[laptops & desktops) and accessories. They had a lot of newer things too. I don't know the exact names for them because I'm not up on all the newest electronics. But I'm sure the guys who work there are. My laptop had WiFi, WindowsXP, Microsoft Office 2010, when I bought it so I didn't have to spend any additional money on upgrades. I don't have any complaints.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; March-02-12 at 05:07 PM.

It's a crazy show, but I quite enjoy it. Living here in Las Vegas, I went to the pawn shop that's featured on "Pawn Stars". Tourists were arriving literally by the bus load. Wanted to sell my autograph of Neil Armstrong, but they wouldn't look at it without authentication [[which I subsequently got, but decided to keep the darn thing). That aside, if you plan on visiting the store from the Vegas show, plan on waiting in line for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Wanted to sell my autograph of Neil Armstrong, but they wouldn't look at it without authentication [[which I subsequently got, but decided to keep the darn thing).
    That dopey place seems to be the most popular spot in Vegas, if you've authenticated your Armstrong signature Ray1936, keep it. Probably based on the advice of Detroiter Charles Lindbergh, Armstrong DOES NOT like giving autographs or interacting in public. http://books.google.com/books?id=dAe...ed=0CEEQ6AEwAA

Most reality shows are fake to the point of annoyance

It's a good pogrom...

I have a dell D620 also and while its about ten years old, they are tanks. Paid $175 about 3 years ago.

Love the show.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    I have a dell D620 also and while its about ten years old, they are tanks. Paid $175 about 3 years ago.

Love the show.
    Sorry to hear that. Mine is Great!!!

They are filming today according to a post on FB....

SteveJ Guest

Pawn shops are to exploit the poor. I can't believe how stupid some of these people are selling unique items from 200 years ago for $200 and you know the pawn shop will sell it for 10 times the amount.

Am I the only one embarrassed by this show?

those shows are all fake. i work in the industry and know.
    the only one that is real is 'COPS'.
    my experience with 'hardcore pawn' is that a production assistant thought of the whole scenario for my brother and family. it went like this.
    since he had a camera to take photos of him & family with the stars of the show, she suggested that he was there to sell the camera because the had no money to get back to Georgia, then argue about the price and get kicked out of the store causing my niece and nephew cry about how they were man-handling their dad.
    quite funny, but all staged.
    take it for what it is.

Is it true that ex-Red Wing Darren McCarty took a job there?

I vaguely remember hearing something about him taking on something there. Lord knows it was better than his part time gig on the radio where I thought he was vastly overwhelmed and I thought he was ill prepared to talk about things other than hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    That dopey place seems to be the most popular spot in Vegas, if you've authenticated your Armstrong signature Ray1936, keep it. Probably based on the advice of Detroiter Charles Lindbergh, Armstrong DOES NOT like giving autographs or interacting in public.
    Yeah, I've had it mounted on a nice display frame with some corresponding items, and it looks beautiful in my hallway. If I ever do sell it, I'll do it on ebay where some are getting four figures for a smiliar 'graph.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Mine is Great!!!
    No need to be sorry I meant it in a good way, like tough as nails, cant kill em'. I think mine is a D600 but all the Latitudes were good.

And yea these "reality" shows are all fake but they can be funny, Storage Wars is a real hoot. Friend of a friend saw the show and started buying abandoned storage units and ended up with a bunch of junky clothes and worthless chochkies. What a dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Is it true that ex-Red Wing Darren McCarty took a job there?
    I never bought a Slurpee from Denny McLain. Chinmen, i too know guys who've crewed up on "COPS"-it's been on the air long enough, eh?-what they WILL do is edit out police misbehavior. Another funny thing is if a suspect swears they bleep it, but if the cop utters an obscenity they simply edit out his entire sentence. But if COPS is the top, & "Operacion Repo" the basement of faked reality tv, I think "Truck Stop Missouri" [[now "Truckstop USA" the most annoyingly faked.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Lord knows it was better than his part time gig on the radio where I thought he was vastly overwhelmed and I thought he was ill prepared to talk about things other than hockey.
    Darren McCarty was an even worse on air personality than Jeff Riger and that's saying something.

He is [[or was -- I am hoping) simply awful on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by fratman View Post
    Been watching Hardcore Pawn on Tru TV. Wondering if anyone knows the owner or his son & daughter and what they're like. Has anyone been to the store & what was their experience like. Is it really as crazy as shown on tv? Where exactly is it-I've been told it's 8Mi&Greenfield. If this has already been discussed previously-my apologies.

Jack Cooley 61. Now living in Dallas area. Thanks
    The people are acting, so of course it will seem crazy. All TruTv shows have explanations and disclaimers in the credits

I've been there a couple of times...the tv cameras are more of an annoyance than anything. Everyone who works there is very nice and helpful. Didn't see any crazy behavior or Darren McCarty though...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    those shows are all fake. i work in the industry and know.
    the only one that is real is 'COPS'.
    my experience with 'hardcore pawn' is that a production assistant thought of the whole scenario for my brother and family. it went like this.
    since he had a camera to take photos of him & family with the stars of the show, she suggested that he was there to sell the camera because the had no money to get back to Georgia, then argue about the price and get kicked out of the store causing my niece and nephew cry about how they were man-handling their dad.
    quite funny, but all staged.
    take it for what it is.
    I only watched a few shows but I was disgusted by the entire thing and the exploitation of the "customers". Funny that all of the crazy actors are pretending to be ignorant ghetto thugs and skanks. What tipped me off was one of their early shows where this black woman needed to pawn something to pay for her father's funeral. She looked a hot mess and the whole story just sounded fake. She comes back a day or two later and she didn't look as if she'd bathed or slept and her hair was still a mess. She came back to thank them for helping her so much so she could bury her father. I was just done with that show and besides, I can't stand looking at that ugly daughter that works there, she hurts my eyes and my ears.

Fun to watch a local show but it does not take long to see how scripted it is. Granted I know some crazy people can be real but SOOO much is obvisouly scripted drama I just cannot seem to get past it.

At least 2 or 3 people in every episode "I want $$$ for this watch/PS3/TV.. Your not going to give me $$$?..." /enablescripteddrama

Watching the children bitch at each other gets old fast, I hope for their sake its not all real. If they deal with company problems like they portray on TV then I can only imagine what else goes on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast