Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

now that ah Tim's is open I can Stawp on the way to Hawckey and get some cawffee and crullers eh?

chitaku- from North Windsor

I think it's important and exciting that a viable business is going in there. We patronized Starbucks many times when visiting The Island, and will do so again at Tim Horton's.

Perfect, a new place to patronize on my way in to Rivertown!

I've always like Dunkin Donuts better [[managed a store for them for years) but Hortons is good too. Glad to hear they're coming to Belle Isle. That will be great.

5. Default

Tim Horton's coffee is shit. I'm sorry that this swill is being forced upon our neighbours to the north.

You gotta love it, people will find any way to piss on a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I have to say, I patronize the Biggby Coffee on Evergreen between 10 & 11 frequently, and they have the nicest people working there. It's busier during the week when city hall and the offices around there are open, but even on weekends they are so upbeat and I really like the coffee selection.

Tim Horton's is still bland and overrated.
    funny i am there daily

I happen to prefer Tim Horton's coffee over both Dunkin Donuts and especially Starbucks. Not all of us like a weeks worth of caffiene in one cup of coffee. If you think it's bland, so be it. But I'd rather drink three cups of Tim's coffee than one of Stabucks - and it would still cost less!

someone asked about the success that the Biggbys in Midtown Detroit was having. I go there every once in a while, but I pass by it more often and it's usually busy, if not busy then about half full. They are doing well, and they should because Midtown Detroit has a population of over 200,000 people, plus it's in the middle of College country. I'm not sure how the Biggby's at the DMC is doing. I'd assume pretty well, lots of employees who are paid very well. Midtown Detroit, even with all of the wonderful retail/restaurant locations that are already here, is still underserved. It could support more businesses. Over the past 2 years, a good 15 businesses have opened up, but since the recession deepened it has slowed but hasn't stopped.

The document says "population" which most likely includes commuting workforce
    Last edited by dcmorrison12; June-16-09 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    someone asked about the success that the Biggbys in Midtown Detroit was having. I go there every once in a while, but I pass by it more often and it's usually busy, if not busy then about half full. They are doing well, and they should because Midtown Detroit has over 200,000 residents, plus it's in the middle of College country. I'm not sure how the Biggby's at the DMC is doing. I'd assume pretty well, lots of employees who are paid very well. Midtown Detroit, even with all of the wonderful retail/restaurant locations that are already here, is still underserved. It could support more businesses. Over the past 2 years, a good 15 businesses have opened up, but since the recession deepened it has slowed but hasn't stopped.

200k??? What are you counting as Midtown? I'd be surprised of there was 200k living inside the Blvd.

I'm counting Zip-Codes 48201 and 48202. This encompasses most of Midtown [[but not all) and bits that lay just outside of Midtown - essentially making up for the sections that do not include Midtown. I actually rounded down - If you were to combine the two zipcodes, you will have a population over 200,000. I've done the research - I came across documents [[thanks to the help of the UCCA) from the Center for Urban Studies at WSU. The estimates are very strong - I spoke in person with the chair of the Geography and Urban planning department who verified it for me.

I came across this data for some research I am doing in the Business Services department at WSU.

There is indeed a population of 200,000 people in Midtown - this estimate most likely includes commuting work force.
    Last edited by dcmorrison12; June-16-09 at 12:09 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

200,000? No way! Try 50,000 with a capacity of around 150,000. Are you counting the daytime work force? Midtown and Downtown Detroit have a massive commuting work force and entertainment crowd, but there are only about 75,000 residents in the greater downtown area.

Source: http://www.tcaup.umich.edu/charrette...workshop07.pdf, page five, second paragraph.

I don't know about daily workforce, but according to the 2000 U.S. Census, 15,080 people live in 48201 and 21,870 in 48202.

The Web site City Data reprints the Census figures and gives 2007 estimates of 14,628 for 48201 and 21,215 for 48202.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/48201.html
    http://www.city-data.com/zips/48202.html

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    funny i am there daily
    We've probably ordered coffee at the same time and didn't even know it.

I'm just happy I have somewhere to buy doughnuts for the office. I work on Franklin near Rivertown. And it's funny that there is nowhere to buy doughnuts near my work.

I know everyone will skewer me for this, but it's a sad day when opening a Tim Horton's makes headlines.

Their food is so plain and uninteresting, how they've made it so far is amazing to me.

I am happy for the jobs it will create, and that's about it.
    Actually, their breakfast sandwiches are really good. The coffee is pretty good too but Dunkin Donuts is on the top of my list.

We've probably ordered coffee at the same time and didn't even know it.
    small world ! I work in the travels Tower just up the road

Quote Originally Posted by Single Malt View Post
    I'm just happy I have somewhere to buy doughnuts for the office. I work on Franklin near Rivertown. And it's funny that there is nowhere to buy doughnuts near my work.
    I don't eat doughnuts, but it would be nice to be able to get a good bagel downtown for breakfast or lunch. Every bagel I've seen in the CBD is one of those huge, soft, puffy, bready, Einstein-like abominations. New York Bagel in Ferndale is, as far as I know, making the most authentic bagel that's close to downtown.

As for coffee, the little place in the Dime Building is good. They usually have a rich, flavorful roast going. I haven't been there in awhile, though... hope they're still open. You never know, with this economy.

I suppose I used the wrong word. The actual word used on the data sheet I was given is "population" which very well may contain commuting workforce. Either way, there's over 200,000 people in Midtown and parts of the outskirts in a work day.

Drinking my first of many Iced Capps from the new Tim Hortons at Jefferson and E. Grand. The store's official opening is today. If you stop by, bring cash the CC machine is down.

I may have skimmed the thread too quickly, but in all the talk about Biggby, no one mentioned its a rare Michigan business success story? Founded and HQ'd in East Lansing/Lansing. It's funny that there is a thread dedicated to the opening of a extraordinarily bland Canadian donut shop, but a pretty great Michigan chain opening a few stores in Detroit to add to a 100 nationwide barely gets a mention. I understand it's not a Cheesecake Factory, but c'mon.... with all the obsessing around here about supporting local business, one would think someone would at least mention it. But I suppose it's a Lansing business thus equal to Tims in the view around here of what 'local" is.

Supporting local businesses? HAHAHAHAHA

It's all about "ME and MY."

I love "Tim Horton's". It is too bad that I was forced to boycott them.

Is this why you're boycotting ejames?
    Doughnut Chain Tim Hortons Violates Its Own Policy, Sponsors NOM Antigay Fund-Raiser

Canadian coffee and doughnut chain Tim Hortons is sponsoring the National Organization for Marriage’s antigay cookout and worship service on behalf of heterosexual-only marriage Aug. 16 at Aldrich Mansion in suburban Providence. Rhode Island is the last state in New England to oppose marriage equality.

YAY Detroit's first Tim Hortons!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast