Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisRecords90 View Post
    The Walgreens at Grand River & Telegraph closed back in July also. I think the lot of them are closing. Johnson's was usually a busy spot. Another good restaurant gone under.
    http://luvfireimages.smugmug.com/DET...ES/GREENFIELD/

By the way THAT DISTRICT IS NOT DEAD. The area ain't what it used to be, I'm sure, but the area is getting better, cause part of the neighborhood is considered Grandmont, next door to Rosedale. But i agree, i hate when they knock down old historic buildings and put up old plain, modern-looking buildings, but those strip malls now contain Sunny's Mens Wear stores, school uniforms store, shoes, womens clothes. Around Christmastime, drive up Grand River with 100.3 on, they have recently repainted the corner building where Wards was at, and they put up a Christmas tree in the corner window every year. Every year, thats the one corner where you really feel the Christmas spirit. The SE corner building [[Mammoth) is currently vacant. They are supposed to be redeveloping it, they are just waiting for a developer to pick up the project. There are quite a few good stores on the NE side, particularly 7 Days West for flannels, jeans, coats, etc, and Sheik [[just changed over from Athlete's Foot for custom hats, shoes, etc. West of Greenfield, they have a few new stores in there. The St Vincent De Paul Thrift Store replaced the old furniture store [[next to Montrose Lunch) Im still waiting for Montrose Lunch to reopen/redevelop. Up Grand River to Rutherford they have Janco Candy Distributors, open since 1950's, one of my favorite spots. Cosmos Coney Island and Golden Pizza at Lyndon & Greenfield, head south to Schoolcraft, there is a good fish place just south of Schoolcraft, there is new place JUST OPENED SUMMER 2014 called Hot Toppings at Schoolcraft & Greenfield next to the BP gas station. The old car wash on the NW corner of Schoolcraft & Greenfield is still open Now Greenfield Car Wash [[i think it used to be Jack's Car Wash or something. my mom could tell me the name of the old one.)
    Yeehaw! Like your style. Memories and all. There's the Norwest. Funny them showing "Beverly Hills Cop" for us during the children's matinee [[double feature with "Breakin' 2"). They made sure to jumpcut the strip bar scene [[all the kids went "awww" in protest-not that anyone there minded the F-bombs).

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    WHAT I REALLY HATE ABOUT THAT DISTRICT, is that it's just about dead, and that developer Herb Strather demolished all of those storefronts west of Greenfield to build those ugly strip malls.
    Just be glad Grand River/Greenfield hasn't been completely destroyed like 7 Mile/Gratiot...

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...le-and-Gratiot

versus this now:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...le-and-Gratiot

You all still have something to salvage as far as a walkable/urban district.

^^^^
    Looks the same to me......?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    ^^^^
    Looks the same to me......?
    You think so?

Notice in the photos from the 1980s the buildings lined in FRONT of Gratiot creating a solid streetwall with no surface lots nor vacant lots...

1980s:

Today:

1980s:

Today:

1980s:

Today:

MEanwhile, this is still Grand River and Greenfield today:

And as you can still, unlike 7 Mile and Gratiot, it's hardly a total loss. So although there were some losses on the west side of Greenfield, please be thankful for what you guys on the westside still do have as far as street frontage stores and a streetwall.

Yep - no difference.

Schoolcraft & Greenfield was a Mac's car wash for the longest time. It may have been a Jax pre-1977. The AMC dealership made that corner even into the Renault days. Once Chrysler bought AMC it was short lived. Kingsway closed 82 or 83. Mammoth didn't last long.

hopefully this area in the city will actually get redeveloped and those pretty pictures won't just be something nice to look at during a presentation.

After Strather bailed on the "mega bundle" a while back, is he even prepared to redevelop that zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Yep - no difference.
    Then maybe you're looking at something different than I'm looking at [[as well as probably others)...

AMC building is completely gone.
    The parking lot is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Then maybe you're looking at something different than I'm looking at [[as well as probably others)...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3