Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Detroit Movies

I'm trying to come up with a list of the best movies set in Detroit and filmed on location in Detroit. Here are 3 to start with:

8 Mile
    Out Of Sight
    Zebrahead
    Last edited by wardwood; February-23-12 at 04:09 PM.

detroitjim Guest

Detroit 9000

Beverly Hills Cop and Cop 2. [[Cop 3 sucked and I don't think Detroit was in it anyway)
    Blue Collar with Richard Pryor [[great movie I haven't seen in a long time)
    Gran Torino
    Detroit Rock City
    The Rosary Murders
    True Romance

What was the name of the movie that came out not too long ago that has some excellent shots of the Guardian building?

Wesley Snipes did a really chessy action movie that I think had the last fight scene on top of the Guardian. The movie was horrible, but there are many areas of Detroit that you don't see in most movies.

Ah, here it is: Game of Death - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446072/

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Detroit Rock City
    was this actually filmed in Detroit?

Transformers

Quote Originally Posted by wardwood View Post
    was this actually filmed in Detroit?
    Parts of the film were including a few scenes on the Belle Isle bridge.
    The Betsy

Danny DiVito had a couple of movies that used Detroit extensively.

Hoffa
    Renaissance Man

Mike Binder's Crossing the Bridge used Detroit and the Ambassador Bridge as a metaphor for growing up, however little of the movie was actually filmed here.

Andy Hardy's family moved to Detroit for one of thier movies.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-23-12 at 12:54 PM.

This might not be the BEST movie, but it was a lot of fun: Let's Kill All The Lawyers, filmed in and around Detroit with a lot of cameos by well-known Detroiters.

For a cheesy, silly, but still entertaining 80s buddy cop movie, check out
    "Collision Course", which was filmed entirely in Detroit. It featured the Grand Prix, the Hotel St. Regis, the Majestic/Garden Bowl, and other unique Detroit locales. It starred Pat Morita and Jay Leno. Leno was drag racing a guy on Michigan Avenue near Tiger Stadium in one scene.

"Narc" looked and felt like a Detroit movie, although only a small portion of it was actually filmed in Detroit. There were shots along Woodward and on Belle Isle. It was an excellent movie, too, although very dark.

XYZ murders

I was watching Michael Keaton and Teri Garr in "Mr. Mom" recently. There's a scene where Teri Garr goes to work on her first day and I'd swear she's on a Ren Cen elevator. You can see another one of the towers behind her as the elevator seems to take her all the way to the 39th floor of one of the main towers [[100-400). The story is supposed to be in the Detroit area but I can't find any record of any of it being shot here.

Great movie. Funny as hell. Does it count as a Detroit movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    For a cheesy, silly, but still entertaining 80s buddy cop movie, check out
    "Collision Course", which was filmed entirely in Detroit. It featured the Grand Prix, the Hotel St. Regis, the Majestic/Garden Bowl, and other unique Detroit locales. It starred Pat Morita and Jay Leno. Leno was drag racing a guy on Michigan Avenue near Tiger Stadium in one scene.

"Narc" looked and felt like a Detroit movie, although only a small portion of it was actually filmed in Detroit. There were shots along Woodward and on Belle Isle. It was an excellent movie, too, although very dark.
    I was watching them film the scene on Woodward in from of the old Hudson's. I also saw them filming in Trapper's Alley during a foot chase. I don't Leno has moved that fast since.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
    I was watching Michael Keaton and Teri Garr in "Mr. Mom" recently. There's a scene where Teri Garr goes to work on her first day and I'd swear she's on a Ren Cen elevator. You can see another one of the towers behind her as the elevator seems to take her all the way to the 39th floor of one of the main towers [[100-400). The story is supposed to be in the Detroit area but I can't find any record of any of it being shot here.

I don't think they filmed in the area. One way you can tell is that there is at least one outdoor scene with cars having front Michigan license plates.

Best is just an opinion. Here is a list.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...set_in_Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post

this doesn't count since it was not filmed here

good movie though

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Best is just an opinion. Here is a list.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...set_in_Detroit
    this is a good list but not exactly what I was looking for, I want films that are set in metro Detroit AND were filmed in metro Detroit,

bartock Guest

I'm trying to come up with a list of the best movies set in Detroit and filmed on location in Detroit. Here are 3 to start with:

8 Mile
    Out Of Sight
    Zebrahead
    Out Of Sight would have to be my favorite, and very "Detroit." Based on an Elmore Leonard novel, so I guess that makes sense.

Scarecrow stars Gene Hackman and Al Pacino, and quite a bit of it takes place in Detroit--on the east side, I think. As I recall there are some neighborhood shots that looked like they were filmed here.

Although only a portion was filmed here the Detroit scenes in "The Island" were cool !

When does/did the new Red Dawn come out?

8 Mile
    Out Of Sight
    Zebrahead
    I'm glad you mentioned Zebrahead because it was a good movie and always seems to get overlooked.

I've heard March of this year but more likely November of this year for Red Dawn which I believe was filmed in part in Mt.Clemens , Harper Woods and Detroit . Other than the usual holdups releasing a movie , they had to re-do alot of scenes [[on a computer ) to erase the China like star on all the enemies uniforms and anything else with that star because those commies bitched about it being to similar , so supposedly they re-did the star to look more like N. Korea . I mean China threatened Norway with diplomatic hardships because they wanted to award a Nobel Peace Prize to a Chinese National .

Real Steel
    Sparkle [[not out yet)

True Romance. Great scenes of Downtown, Foxtown area. It is clear that even in the 90s there were many more buildings still standing. There are also some shots of the west riverfront rail tracks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast