Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Beachboy wrote:

"mostly-corrupt Mayor Jerry Cavanaugh"

Please cite anything that would indicate that Cavenaugh was a corrupt" mayor. in all my years working close to City government, I have never heard anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Beachboy wrote:

Please cite anything that would indicate that Cavenaugh was a corrupt" mayor. in all my years working close to City government, I have never heard anything like that.
    He might not have been, but Louis Miriani was, and a racist to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Beachboy wrote:

1) Maurice Kelman Collection [[papers), Reuther Library, Wayne State U.

Box 1, Folder 28. Corruption allegations [[Cavanagh and the Mafia),
    1968-69, 1974

2) On Cavanagh's involvement with the disastrous Model Cities program:
    at http://www.thedailycrux.com/content/...ment_Stupidity

"Cavanagh's motives were political not moral.) He instated aggressive affirmative action policies at City Hall. And most critically, he greatly expanded the role of the government in Detroit, taking advantage of President Lyndon Johnson's "Model Cities Program" – the first great experiment in centralized urban planning.

Mayor Cavanagh was the only elected official to serve on Johnson's task force. And Detroit received widespread acclaim for its leadership in the program, which attempted to turn a nine-square-mile section of the city [[with 134,000 inhabitants) into a "model city." More than $400 million was spent trying to turn inner cities into shining new monuments to government planning. In short, the feds and Democratic city mayors were soon telling people where to live, what to build, and what businesses to open or close. In return, the people received cash, training, education, and health care.

The Model Cities program was a disaster for Detroit. But it did accomplish its real goal: The creation of a state-supported, Democratic political power base..."

On a positive note, Mayor Cavanagh tried to help black people and other minorities, and was energetic in pursuing objectives of urban renewal.