Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So Wayne County City Government is using our hard eared tax dollars to building more prisons in Downtown Detroit rather than helping the poor and low-income families, education, improving our infrastructure, tearing down county owned abandon buildings. CRAZY!

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    No new jails. No new prisons. Period.

Mass incarceration is the new Jim Crow and it needs to be stopped.

From a racial perspective with the three strikes and drug laws currently on the books there are more Black men and women in prison now than there have EVER been during all of the dark period of slavery....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    From a racial perspective with the three strikes and drug laws currently on the books there are more Black men and women in prison now than there have EVER been during all of the dark period of slavery....

LOL. If the race of the person is not newsworthy or important in reporting the crimes, who is suspected, who is arrested etc, it certainly is not newsworthy or important when the criminals wind up in prison.

leasing the mound facility sounds like something to consider...in fairness it was not closed when the bribe took place for the new downtown jail.
    the existing downtown jail may have sight line issues but ficano's mentions the dead radio zones as the safety issue...sad thing is a radio company could install repeaters to enhance the covered zone....new jail is a pocket liner imo...
    lease mound and fix downtown jail radio issues and save money.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    No new jails. No new prisons. Period.

Mass incarceration is the new Jim Crow and it needs to be stopped.
    WORD.
    Would this new jail be considered privatized?
    Privatized prisons equal modern day slavery. Making money off another man or womans freedom. With the 3 strikes law and mandatory minimums for drug offenses theres a lot of money to be made. Jailing ppl should not be left to the private sector, that in itself should be a crime and an obvious flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Just curious as to what would constitute the need for 1 guard per cell. Don't they have doors on the cells? Most jails utilize camera systems. It seems like they could figure out some sort of camera system that would be cheaper.
    A camera system would be cheaper and I've seen the "fishbowl" as it's called in the jail. It's pretty much a glass enclosed room where all the surveillance officers sit and watch the inmates though cameras as well as the inmates on the first floor through the class. From what I remember the cameras were directed at hallways and avenues of the jail, which there was a lot of there. I've never been to the upper levels of the cells of the jail. But it's just a think that one of the bailiffs of Frank Murphy told me. Something about the horrible design of the place that makes it so that it is very hard for officers to have a good view of all the cells from a single vantage point. Cameras can't catch everything and having a camera in each cell isn't reasonable since it's impossible to monitor each cell from CCTV. Also, there's probably some constitutional issue of doing that anyway.

Fun fact, the jail has the distinct odor of feet and despair in the summer time.

In any case, when people saw that a new jail was being build - when they were laying the ground for it - the general consensus by law enforcement as well as the prosecutors [[and public defenders) was a collective "thank god". The land that the jail is being built on was just an open parking lot. Where people would park to go to court [[as well as employees of the courthouse and the officers of the current jail) would park for work. It was something ridiculous, like $20 a day, or something.

Also, as I understand, this one facility is designed to replace three of Detroit's older ones. So that would save money in the long run.
    Last edited by JayKay88; February-22-12 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Isn't there a vacant state prison up on the north side somewhere?

Or did they do something else with that?
    The Mound Rd Facility is to be closing.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    Not saying I support the project, but it's being built to consolidate three other older facilities into one location closer to the courthouse. So all posturing and hysterics aside, it's a logical plan.
    A logical plan would be to use the Mound Rd Facility.

Building a prison in Downtown Detroit does not make since.

Why use prime real estate to build a prison.

I thought the plan was to revitalize Downtown Detroit. Why put a prison just 2 blocks away from Ford Field and Comerica Park?

This is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by JayKay88 View Post
    A camera system would be cheaper and I've seen the "fishbowl" as it's called in the jail. It's pretty much a glass enclosed room where all the surveillance officers sit and watch the inmates though cameras as well as the inmates on the first floor through the class. From what I remember the cameras were directed at hallways and avenues of the jail, which there was a lot of there. I've never been to the upper levels of the cells of the jail. But it's just a think that one of the bailiffs of Frank Murphy told me. Something about the horrible design of the place that makes it so that it is very hard for officers to have a good view of all the cells from a single vantage point. Cameras can't catch everything and having a camera in each cell isn't reasonable since it's impossible to monitor each cell from CCTV. Also, there's probably some constitutional issue of doing that anyway.

Fun fact, the jail has the distinct odor of feet and despair in the summer time.

In any case, when people saw that a new jail was being build - when they were laying the ground for it - the general consensus by law enforcement as well as the prosecutors [[and public defenders) was a collective "thank god". The land that the jail is being built on was just an open parking lot. Where people would park to go to court [[as well as employees of the courthouse and the officers of the current jail) would park for work. It was something ridiculous, like $20 a day, or something.
    The consensus of my pocket book is OUCH!

There was no formal feasiblity study report to justify a new prison in Downtown Detroit.

We spent 14 million for the land and over $220 million for the facility without any formal study.

People we are getting a raw deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    A logical plan would be to use the Mound Rd Facility.

Building a prison in Downtown Detroit does not make since.

Why use prime real estate to build a prison.

I thought the plan was to revitalize Downtown Detroit. Why put a prison just 2 blocks away from Ford Field and Comerica Park?

This is illogical.
    Again, it's because of its close proximity to the courthouse. With non-public access between the two assures that there will be safe and quick exchanges from one to the other without allowing anyone to be out in public.

A minor note: Jails house people for under a year,as well as those pending trial, Prison's house people for a year or more.

Also, as I understand, this one facility is designed to replace three of Detroit's older ones. So that would save money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by JayKay88 View Post
    Again, it's because of its close proximity to the courthouse. With non-public access between the two assures that there will be safe and quick exchanges from one to the other without allowing anyone to be out in public.

A minor note: Jails house people for under a year,as well as those pending trial, Prison's house people for a year or more.

Talk your propaganda to justify this crap to Joe Public.

An Courthouse is cheaper than a jail. Move the Courthouse from Downtown to the middle of the City. The Mound Road Facility has plenty of land.

The truth of the matter is that this jail was built to provide $$$ to Ficano Friends [[Walbridge Aldinger).

Detroit Does not require that it municipal courthouses and jails should be in Downtown Detroit. The Cadillac Place in New Center and other buildings in the New Center area has a plenty of office space.

Talk your propaganda to justify this crap to Joe Public.

An Courthouse is cheaper than a jail. Move the Courthouse from Downtown to the middle of the City. The Mound Road Facility has plenty of land.

The truth of the matter is that this jail was built to provide $$$ to Ficano Friends [[Walbridge Aldinger).

Detroit Does not require that it municipal courthouses and jails should be in Downtown Detroit. The Cadillac Place in New Center and other buildings in the New Center area has a plenty of office space.
    I understand your argument about how it's upsetting that money is being spent in a way you disagree with but I'm not convinced that the location is a problem. I mean, there already is a jail there, it's a crap jail and it doesn't operate efficiently, but it's there. There's a juvenile detention facility there - across the street from that jail. The courthouse has been there since the 60's. The police headquarters is still there… I think… [[what's going on with that, anyway?). All these buildings are either on the same block or across the street from each other. It's a very tightly packed area for related services. Are you suggesting we move all of those as well? Economically speaking, I think running one jail is cheaper than running three. Is there a large initial investment? Yes. But, honestly, things have gotten so bad for the system and facilities are in such poor shape that they honestly couldn't wait for a better political climate to do this. You know the Wayne County prosecutors office is the 3rd busiest in the nation? They also have the fastest turnaround from jail to court to prison in the nation. They're also the lowest paid prosecutors in the nation. There were plenty of other things they could have spent this money on. But as far as priorities go, this had to come first - at least in the area of law enforcement.

Didn't I read something on a different thread here a few months ago that there were some empty jails in Detroit because the city couldn't afford to staff them?

That might be in connection with the fact that old jails were inefficiently designed. Again, consolidation would lower running costs.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay88 View Post
    i understand your argument about how it's upsetting that money is being spent in a way you disagree with but i'm not convinced that the location is a problem. I mean, there already is a jail there, it's a crap jail and it doesn't operate efficiently, but it's there. There's a juvenile detention facility there - across the street from that jail. The courthouse has been there since the 60's. The police headquarters is still there… i think… [[what's going on with that, anyway?). All these buildings are either on the same block or across the street from each other. It's a very tightly packed area for related services. Are you suggesting we move all of those as well? Economically speaking, i think running one jail is cheaper than running three. Is there a large initial investment? Yes. But, honestly, things have gotten so bad for the system and facilities are in such poor shape that they honestly couldn't wait for a better political climate to do this. You know the wayne county prosecutors office is the 3rd busiest in the nation? They also have the fastest turnaround from jail to court to prison in the nation. They're also the lowest paid prosecutors in the nation. There were plenty of other things they could have spent this money on. But as far as priorities go, this had to come first - at least in the area of law enforcement.
    the jail is overprice.

The bidding process was a farce.

No feasibility study was made before approval to build a $220 million facility.

Detroit has a existing prison campus that will soon close.

By your responses, i can easily presume that you work for law enforcement or the court system or an appointee of ficano.

I'm just pissed off I losing my tailgating lot. Dammit!

There is a small industry that is dependent on keeping Pot illegal.

The cops.
    The local/regional/national Dealer.
    The jailers.
    The various Clerks.
    The privatized jail services.
    All "Politicos".
    The bonds persons.
    Social Services.
    The Universities/Colleges that train cops.
    The DEA.
    The INS.
    The DHS.
    The BATF.
    RehabCo.
    The military.
    The Military Industrial Complex.
    Big Pharma.
    Big Corpra.
    ChurchCo.
    All Court systems.
    The US Border Patrol
    The Drug Cartels.
    HollyCo/Corporate Media.
    The Internet.

And, the glue that holds all of that shit together:

THE LAWYERS.

They are all part of the problem.

Are you part of the solution?

Legalize Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post

The cops.
    The jailers.
    The various Clerks.
    All "Politicos".
    The bonds persons.
    Social Services.
    The DEA.
    The INS.
    The DHS.
    The BATF.
    RehabCo.
    The military.
    Big Pharma.
    Big Corpra.
    ChurchCo.
    All Court systems.
    The US Border Patrol
    The Drug Cartels.
    HollyCo/Corporate Media.
    The Internet.

THE LAWYERS.

Legalize Now!
    The alcohol commission is a bigger obstacle then all of your list combined. In fact they fund and lobby most of them.

the jail is overprice.

The bidding process was a farce.

No feasibility study was made before approval to build a $220 million facility.

Detroit has a existing prison campus that will soon close.

By your responses, i can easily presume that you work for law enforcement or the court system or an appointee of ficano.
    Actually none of the above. I'm a recent grad from law school who's working on starting a food business. I volunteered my skills at the prosecutors office and made friends with the people there. So yes, I have some bias, but it's not political. I just believe that these people who work on the ground level, who serve the city for next to nothing, deserve to have better facilities than they get. Their wages are crap, the new hires no longer get the government health insurance that made the job somewhat worth while, they're pretty must getting crapped on, and all they do is work hard and do good things for the people in this city. Do I trust the people higher up? Not really, I don't know them. But when you're a prosecutor, or an honest cop, doing what you do here for next to nothing, you get my respect and if they ever proposed to renovate and renew the courthouses, I would gladly pay more to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post

The cops.
    The jailers.
    The various Clerks.
    All "Politicos".
    The bonds persons.
    Social Services.
    The DEA.
    The INS.
    The DHS.
    The BATF.
    RehabCo.
    The military.
    Big Pharma.
    Big Corpra.
    ChurchCo.
    All Court systems.
    The US Border Patrol
    The Drug Cartels.
    HollyCo/Corporate Media.
    The Internet.

THE LAWYERS.

Legalize Now!
    If you want to legalize than you better vote for those who believe the same. You can call out as many people as you want, if you don't vote, it won't matter.

Especially since they're doing to decriminalize it within the next few elections. Keep your eyes open for it, you'll have a chance to do something about it soon.

First off, is this the plot of land right off 375 I can see cranes at that is being developed for the new jail? Haven't gotten the chance to drive by on surface streets in awhile.

Secondly, until marijuana is legalized on a federal level, not just a state level, anyone selling it "Legally" is still going to be the subject of law enforcement harassment. I'm really impartial on the issue. I don't use it. But if you can tax it and bring in money, what's the harm? Alcohol is way worse for your body as it is and as long as you don't drink and drive, you can drink all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay88 View Post
    actually none of the above. I'm a recent grad from law school who's working on starting a food business. I volunteered my skills at the prosecutors office and made friends with the people there. So yes, i have some bias, but it's not political. I just believe that these people who work on the ground level, who serve the city for next to nothing, deserve to have better facilities than they get. Their wages are crap, the new hires no longer get the government health insurance that made the job somewhat worth while, they're pretty must getting crapped on, and all they do is work hard and do good things for the people in this city. Do i trust the people higher up? Not really, i don't know them. But when you're a prosecutor, or an honest cop, doing what you do here for next to nothing, you get my respect and if they ever proposed to renovate and renew the courthouses, i would gladly pay more to do so.
    i rest my case.

Your empathy for your friends has clouded your logic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2