Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Well, that was fun! That was the year I bought my Dodge Colt, and there she was,or her alter ego, running the POR. We actually talked about running DH's Toyota in that rally. It was great to see how the rally worked.
    Are you saying you were in the rally?

A little love for the RX7 racing Michigan . I think maybe a NISSAN in there.
    Press On Regardless Rally 1985 Part 1

SCCA Pro Rally - Houghton Michigan. Footage by David Maclean

Last edited by black gold man; February-19-12 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    You can get one of the best 240s out there for 10 to 15 grand or as little as 500 bucks.
    But the Toyota will set you back 300,000
    Look what they did to this one.

http://www.autoviva.com/news/toyota_...ed_2000gt/2356

Here is another DETROIT datsun hater.
    Eyes on Design car show

Every fathers day at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House

see you there. There is a video of toyota gt 2000
    at the show but i cant find it.
    BGM

Look at that vet looks like a Z
    No need to quote pricing I already know what most every automobile will set you back!

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    You can get one of the best 240s out there for 10 to 15 grand or as little as 500 bucks.
    But the Toyota will set you back 300,000
    Look what they did to this one.

http://www.autoviva.com/news/toyota_...ed_2000gt/2356

Here is another DETROIT datsun hater.
    Eyes on Design car show

Look at that vet looks like a Z
    BTW, the Corvette is a Motion Performance edition. Kind of like the Yenkos, the Berger, or for Mopar Grand Spaulding cars of that time. And not to forget, the Royal Pontiacs. Some dealerships sold a lot of custom cars that weren't about vinyl tops or paint jobs.

The Vette predates the Datsun by a few years. If it matters about who was first with the design theme.
    Last edited by BagAJellyDonuts; February-19-12 at 07:30 PM.

The design is European I am refereeing to the headlight sugar scoops.

1965 Z Concept Drawing
    Last edited by black gold man; February-19-12 at 07:49 PM.

No, we weren't in it. We did talk about getting into it but never did. We liked backwoods driving a lot, and have taken many different cars on some pretty rough rides, including the 73 Colt.

I was the proud owner of a Datsun B-210. I'll try to find a pic of it to post here.

I owned a new 1979 620 King Cab pickup. It replaced the worst POS I've ever owned, an also purchased new 1977 Mustang II.

I care a great deal actually

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Has anyone told you this is DETROIT?

Does anyone really care about Datsun, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or any other import for that matter?

Datsuns racing downfall

"Datsun 'Z' cars had won the last ten annual SCCA C-Production championships, so Freddy Baker's best practice lap was calculated to cause some unrest. No Jaguar of any kind had ever circulated Road Atlanta as quickly as this."

After the pace car left the track, the Datsun driver next to me [[Jim Fitzgerald) pulled out ahead of me, jumped the start, and the race still got the green flag. I was about half a car length behind him when they threw the flag. All of a sudden he turned right" [Baker was on the inside – to Fitzgerald's right] "and he started bouncing off the Jaguar......" "His door was hitting my left front fender. I thought 'Oh my God!' I could see the inside guard rail and the grass and had a picture of finishing the race, a DNF, on the first lap. He almost got me onto the grass. Without thinking I turned into him, trying to push him off and kept my foot to the floor."
    "I got by Fitz on the straight. From that point on I hardly looked in my mirrors. The race is what's in front of you ; not what's behind. I just kept my foot in."
    http://www.xclusively-jaguar.co.uk/x..._11-05-01.html

Must see if you like jags http://www.xclusively-jaguar.co.uk/n...y_2011/gtj.pdf

Some boys from Ohio fixed up an old jag and whopped ass on the DATSUNS.
    The DATSUN crew saw how fast the jag was and drew straws to see who
    was going to be the designated hitter to take the jag out.
    Jim Fitzgerald wore the DD tag on his suit that day.
    It is really a great story you should read up on.
    but here is a video.

Last edited by black gold man; February-22-12 at 12:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2