Detroit River Fishing

The Great Detroit Flood of 2014 resulted from the second largest downpour in Detroit history. It closed several expressways and poured into thousands of Metro Detroit basements. The 4.72 inches of rain was the highest daily recorded rainfall since July 31, 1925, when 4.74 inches of rain fell. What went wrong? Could it have been prevented?

READ MORE »

New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?

AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Default Free Art Friday Detroit!

Not trying to spam anybody, but there is a fun art scavenger hunt going on every Friday in Detroit. The idea is that artists will leave a piece of art somewhere in the city and it's free to take home for anyone who finds it.
    I've participated for the last couple weeks and it's a lot of fun.

Here's how it works:

1. An artist creates a custom piece of art anything from a painting to a screenprint to a sculpture.

2. They write their Twitter handle and the hashtag #FAFDET as well as "Free Art Friday Detroit" on the back of the piece.
    3. Then they hide their art somewhere in the city.

4. The artist posts a photo clue of the drop spot to the FAFDET Facebook page and tweets with hashtag #FAFDET.

5. Anyone who finds it is free to take the artwork home. We just ask that they tweet or post a photo to this page letting us know it has found a good home.

Hope some DYESers can join in!
    https://www.facebook.com/FAFDET

Name:  403327_233401426744487_228990643852232_492480_886152011_n.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  24.6 KB

Agree this is a fun weekly event from the folks at Skidmore. My dog Otis found one a few weeks back lol!

let me know when Rodin's the Thinker or Van Gogh's self-portrait are going to be included. I will hunt for those.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    let me know when Rodin's the Thinker or Van Gogh's self-portrait are going to be included. I will hunt for those.
    I grabbed both of those this morning, you're too late!

Fun idea...I'll be sure to join in.

Glad to see this post show up here!

I've been working to spread the word and encourage more artists to join. If anyone is interested head to www.facebook.com/fafdet to learn more.

It's a great way to bring art to the city while also encouraging people to explore the city. Win Win!

So this will be a weekly thing? Maybe I can contribute some of my photographs....

Yes!

We've been doing it every Friday since the beginning of this year.

There have a been a couple other artists that have gotten involved so far - including the Detroit Artist's Market, but we feel like the more, the merrier. Would love to stumble upon your photographs around town

Just a reminder that today is a Free Art Friday!

Head on over for clues about where to find free art hidden within the city!

What a cool&neat idea!!

Is there any way to do this without all the facebook/twitter crap?

Last Friday while walking home from the Boll Family Y, I noticed a young woman hanging a small object from a light pole on Farmer Street. I asked her what was happening and she explained Free Art Friday to me and gave me one of her pieces, a small collage in the shape of Michigan.
    Name:  photo-1.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  83.2 KB

Today, while walking to the Y I spied this painted bowling pin fellow in the bushes in my neighborhood. My first thought was to leave it for someone else to discover, but then I quickly changed my mind and toted it right back to my home.
    Name:  photo-3.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  21.5 KB

Later, when I was leaving the Y, I saw these guys across Broadway erecting a movable display. They were a part of Free Art Friday and the artist Evereman directed me to one of his small pieces attached to a nearby lamp pole.
    Name:  photo-2.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  34.8 KB

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._river_default