Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I like option #3.

Gives the far northeast side its own representative who would concentrate solely on that area [[not Belle Isle or other monuments, just the neighborhoods).
    Isn't that rather short-sighted?

Based on the proposed maps it appears that Southwest Detroit will likely have their own district regardless of the final decision. Does anyone familiar with Southwest Detroit know of any potential candidates that might make a run for a seat on the city council? Are any of the current council members from that proposed district? I don’t know the community that well, so I’m curious to know if there are any highly regarded community leaders that are likely to emerge. One other point/question – has Sue Mosley [[Midtown area) ever campaigned for a city council seat? Personally I think she would be a great addition to the city council.

Originally Posted by East Detroit
    I like option #3.

Gives the far northeast side its own representative who would concentrate solely on that area [[not Belle Isle or other monuments, just the neighborhoods).

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Isn't that rather short-sighted?

maxx in the interest of the discussion would you care to elaborate a bit more as to your views as to why it is a bit short-sited?

This newly proposed district map makes the most sense to me and still meets the demographic guidelines set by the law.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012020...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

But local think tank Data Driven Detroit has come up with a fifth option -- districts drawn to respect longstanding neighborhood boundaries and intended to build on the sense of community that residents in different parts of the city already have.D3's map, which also offers a more even balance of population among districts, is the first I've seen that draws on qualitative input as well as rudimentary quantitative measures.And what would be a better qualitative consideration than neighborhood sensibilities, which were the impetus behind the drive to convert from an at-large City Council in the first place?

Name:  C418458922.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  73.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    This newly proposed district map makes the most sense to me and still meets the demographic guidelines set by the law.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120203/COL33/202030342/Stephen-Henderson-A-smarter-council-district-map-links-neighborhoods?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE| p
    Mmm, I like.

Yep, that looks like the best one......which, of course, will never be considered.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Yep, that looks like the best one......which, of course, will never be considered.

Stromberg2
    I am the eternal optimist I think it will be considered...

...though I'm not saying it'll win. We'll see....