Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I don't understand why BWW doesn't open before Thanksgiving or on Black Friday. The restaurant would had made a killing during that weekend. The opening date was to be in November.
    I'm guessing they really didn't have a choice in the matter.

December opening. Bagger Dave's is also planned.

http://mobile.mlive.com/advdetroit/p...tguid=rH6FWLGB

Quote Originally Posted by tarynd85 View Post
    December opening. Bagger Dave's is also planned.

http://mobile.mlive.com/advdetroit/p...tguid=rH6FWLGB
    Where do you see anything about Bagger Dave's? I'd love to have one downtown though. Maybe in the new Gilbert Garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Where do you see anything about Bagger Dave's? I'd love to have one downtown though. Maybe in the new Gilbert Garage?
    Apparently they are still looking for a location for Bagger Daves

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/b...oit021412.aspx

It says at the bottom of the article

I think that the empty spot near Detroit Seafood Market would be a good spot for Bagger Daves. There are a couple of empty storefronts along the Paradise Valley strip that runs from Grand River to Gratiot. I think that the Rhino was once in on of the spots

My 2 cents. Yes the main floor looks pretty garish and typical of BW3's strip mall versions. But the work done on the upper floors looks great. The details over the windows and the date block look wonderful. I think on the whole people should be very pleased a large company/franchise is putting stock into the downtown area, and should be a good signal to others to follow suit just like other brands such as Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Jimmy John's and others have.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    My 2 cents. Yes the main floor looks pretty garish and typical of BW3's strip mall versions. But the work done on the upper floors looks great. The details over the windows and the date block look wonderful. I think on the whole people should be very pleased a large company/franchise is putting stock into the downtown area, and should be a good signal to others to follow suit just like other brands such as Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Jimmy John's and others have.
    Hi mcs, yes... at least the garish part is removable... and the ornate entranceway on the right was covered over. Although the first floor is kitsch, I will concede 1) they're making use of a long empty building, 2) they did add a nice cornice to the top of the building... 3) they repainted the facade of floors 2, 3 and 4, and 4) they added an addition covering the demolished building to the left, and put a small cornice that matches the main building [[although everything below that cornice looks as you say is befitting of a "strip mall".

Here's the before...
    http://i39.tinypic.com/k13z1k.gif
    And here's the after...
    http://headsupdetroit.com/blog/?p=422

Does anybody know whats going on at the old barber shop next door?

Looks like it opened today:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ors_picks=true

Anyone check it out?

Looks like it opened today:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ors_picks=true

Anyone check it out?
    We went last night - it was absoluty packed. Enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. It is HUGE and I think we'll be catching quite a few games here.

Love the way they said "we kept the integrity of the old building"... and left out "hidden behind a modern entrance veneer"...

How is it doing? Has the novelty worn off yet?

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    How is it doing? Has the novelty worn off yet?
    Stays busy. Been a few times, really busy at lunch but also a ton of people doing carry out.

ArmDetroit Guest

Apparently it's doing well enough to shut down neighboring businesses.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...uthfield/page4
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmDetroit View Post
    A wing joint opening downtown isn't going to force other businesses in the community to close.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Tell that to the Ham Shop across Monroe.

I was there yesterday for lunch. Still pretty busy at 1:30, although the auto show helps. The flat yellow exterior certainly isn't attractive. When I pointed out to my wife where we were going she said "It doesn't look open yet."

It will do fine because of the brand. I think the foods sucks but for some reason people feel good about going to this chain.
    If your an out of towner coming for an event then this place is something they know and trust.
    Even we need some chains

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    It will do fine because of the brand. I think the foods sucks but for some reason people feel good about going to this chain.
    If your an out of towner coming for an event then this place is something they know and trust.
    Even we need some chains
    I haven't been there yet [[I will, as I am a Bdubs fan), but this is only part of what will make them successful. It's also likely the best sports bar in downtown Detroit, which is a big selling point in a very sports-focused city that is generally lacking in that capacity.

I haven't been there yet [[I will, as I am a Bdubs fan), but this is only part of what will make them successful. It's also likely the best sports bar in downtown Detroit, which is a big selling point in a very sports-focused city that is generally lacking in that capacity.
    This.

The closest other place for lots and lots of big TVs you can watch at the same time is probably Rub, which isn't that great because of the lamps that hang down and block the view of the TVs behind the bar.

As of right now, I plan on leaving work early on that first [[real) day of the NCAA tourney and watching those games there, my bracket in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    This.

The closest other place for lots and lots of big TVs you can watch at the same time is probably Rub, which isn't that great because of the lamps that hang down and block the view of the TVs behind the bar.

As of right now, I plan on leaving work early on that first [[real) day of the NCAA tourney and watching those games there, my bracket in hand.
    It's quite possible I'll be doing the same. Detroit Pub is the only other one I've been to that was ok. Haven't been to Hockeytown yet [[since it's pretty much always closed) but have heard that's not bad. The options are severely lacking around here though.

Rub BBQ is also pretty good for watching sports and I haven't been there much but Pappy's is another - but BDubs downtown just went crazy with the TVs, almost 100 in total. There's also a second level, which is more of a bar than a restaurant [[21 to enter), with what has to be the largest flat screen I've seen.

Detroit Pub, Rub, Pappy's, Hockeytown, BW3...maybe there are more sports bars than we realize?
    Last edited by TexasT; January-24-13 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Detroit Pub, Rub, Pappy's, Hockeytown, BW3...maybe there are more sports bars than we realize?
    Can't say I've ever tried to watch a game at Rub or Pappy's, but neither seemed like they'd be ideal for it. I certainly wouldn't consider Rub a sports bar. I've watched games at Big City, Detroit Pub, Park Bar, Detroiter, Coaches Corner, Cheli's, Bagley Bar, and Dirty Trick so far I believe. Detroit Pub was the only one I really felt was a solid sports-watching venue.

Can't say I've ever tried to watch a game at Rub or Pappy's, but neither seemed like they'd be ideal for it. I certainly wouldn't consider Rub a sports bar. I've watched games at Big City, Detroit Pub, Park Bar, Detroiter, Coaches Corner, Cheli's, Bagley Bar, and Dirty Trick so far I believe. Detroit Pub was the only one I really felt was a solid sports-watching venue.
    Rub is pretty good for sports - I watched almost all of my college football games there last season. It has 7 TVs along the bar with other TVs stationed around the room and they'll turn the audio on whatever the "big" game is [[UM or MSU).

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Rub is pretty good for sports - I watched almost all of my college football games there last season. It has 7 TVs along the bar with other TVs stationed around the room and they'll turn the audio on whatever the "big" game is [[UM or MSU).
    Rub will probably be one of my next spots to try, it does seem like it would be good, especially for individual/small group.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast