Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I agree, Gistok. Though, wouldn't window awnings have been standard back when this building was constructed? Not tacky awnings, but awnings nonetheless?

I'm glad that they rehabbed the building and I like BW3's wings, but I have to say that the street level facade is not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I will refrain from calling the clashing of old and new styles butt ugly only because...
    I'm not ready to give them a pass on the ground floor facade. Refer back to post #70 of this thread and look at the photo Gorath posted of the downtown Grand Rapids BWW. They did a lot to respect the historic facade in that store.

photo

Does anyone know if they acquired the old barber shop also? The photo posted by Knocturnal shows the ground floor facade removed and the big barber pole on the second floor is gone.
    Last edited by downtownguy; November-16-12 at 04:37 PM.

How long will it be before they hire bouncers?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I'm not ready to give them a pass on the ground floor facade. Refer back to post #70 of this thread and look at the photo Gorath posted of the downtown Grand Rapids BWW. They did a lot to respect the historic facade in that store.
    Thanks for the info and pic downtownguy.... then BUTT UGLY it is.....

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    How long will it be before they hire bouncers?
    They have bouncers in Ferndale, probably for the first day. They also card everyone.

I don't understand why BWW doesn't open before Thanksgiving or on Black Friday. The restaurant would had made a killing during that weekend. The opening date was to be in November.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I don't understand why BWW doesn't open before Thanksgiving or on Black Friday. The restaurant would had made a killing during that weekend. The opening date was to be in November.
    I'm guessing they really didn't have a choice in the matter.

December opening. Bagger Dave's is also planned.

http://mobile.mlive.com/advdetroit/p...tguid=rH6FWLGB

Quote Originally Posted by tarynd85 View Post
    December opening. Bagger Dave's is also planned.

http://mobile.mlive.com/advdetroit/p...tguid=rH6FWLGB
    Where do you see anything about Bagger Dave's? I'd love to have one downtown though. Maybe in the new Gilbert Garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Where do you see anything about Bagger Dave's? I'd love to have one downtown though. Maybe in the new Gilbert Garage?
    Apparently they are still looking for a location for Bagger Daves

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/b...oit021412.aspx

....This has to rank as one of the worst amalgam of old versus new anywhere in downtown Detroit... not to mention the awkward color palette. But since they did it with an effort to preserving what was there before... I won't complain.... much.... .....
    How can its current appearance - excuse me, "awkward color palette" - be any worse than the way it [[and the rest of that block) looked back in 1968?

"But please... continue to make a meal out of a morsel..." - Gistok

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    How can its current appearance - excuse me, "awkward color palette" - be any worse than the way it [[and the rest of that block) looked back in 1968?

"But please... continue to make a meal out of a morsel..." - Gistok
    Well thanks for finding that nearly half-century old picture of the retail block, it shows what was next door that was torn down... and also shows how it looked before the nearby storefront sign "BALTIMORE LUNCH" was uncovered.

The 1960s were the Nadir of historic preservation, there really just wasn't a lot of it back then [[as can be seen by things such as the wanton destruction of Old City Hall, and the gutting of the impossibly wonderful Mayanesque Fisher Theatre).

So since historic preservation wasn't even an issue back then... any colors buildings were painted were hardly an afterthought to returning a buildings look back to its' origins, nor is it relevant to these historic preservation times we live in today.

But your addition to this thread of my "meal/morsel" comment to one of your Non-Detroit Issues political comments... was a very weak analogy indeed... But thanks for going to all that trouble to find an image of this block as it looked back then when so many downtown buildings had facadectomies [[United Artists, Michigan Mutual, Lafayette, Whitney, etc) "so you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore". Although not as drastic as putting corrugated metal over shorter building facades, painting them in drab colors was a cheaper way to tone down the "frilly" architectural features of the past.

It says at the bottom of the article

Well thanks for finding that nearly half-century old picture of the retail block, it shows what was next door that was torn down... and also shows how it looked before the nearby storefront sign "BALTIMORE LUNCH" was uncovered.

The 1960s were the Nadir of historic preservation, there really just wasn't a lot of it back then [[as can be seen by things such as the wanton destruction of Old City Hall, and the gutting of the impossibly wonderful Mayanesque Fisher Theatre).

So since historic preservation wasn't even an issue back then... any colors buildings were painted were hardly an afterthought to returning a buildings look back to its' origins, nor is it relevant to these historic preservation times we live in today.

But your addition to this thread of my "meal/morsel" comment to one of your Non-Detroit Issues political comments... was a very weak analogy indeed... But thanks for going to all that trouble to find an image of this block as it looked back then when so many downtown buildings had facadectomies [[United Artists, Michigan Mutual, Lafayette, Whitney, etc) "so you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore". Although not as drastic as putting corrugated metal over shorter building facades, painting them in drab colors was a cheaper way to tone down the "frilly" architectural features of the past.
    maybe I'm being charitable in the reading and there is some backstory I'm not aware of in the offending post, but I think the only thing being communicated was "it could be worse".

Garish or not... it's better than a "pocket park".

Quote Originally Posted by tarynd85 View Post
    It says at the bottom of the article
    Ah, didn't see the "full story" link, very cool. Bagger Dave's sweet potato chips are awesome and the burgers aren't bad either. I'm excited to see one down here.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Garish or not... it's better than a "pocket park".
    No one questions that it's better than NO BUILDING AT ALL....

Just compare this franchise's Grand Rapids ground floor renovations that is sympathetic to historic preservation....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Jv8QHDI4T2...00/buffalo.jpg

To what they did on the ground floor in Detroit that has no historic sympathies at all....

http://headsupdetroit.com/blog/?p=422

The way the building looked in 1968 is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-20-12 at 05:18 PM.

No one questions that it's better than NO BUILDING AT ALL....

Just compare this franchise's Grand Rapids ground floor renovations that is sympathetic to historic preservation....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Jv8QHDI4T2...00/buffalo.jpg

To what they did on the ground floor in Detroit that has no historic sympathies at all....

The way the building looked in 1968 is irrelevant.

I agree completely. Even the one in Dearborn is more aesthetically pleasing than this one.

I think that the empty spot near Detroit Seafood Market would be a good spot for Bagger Daves. There are a couple of empty storefronts along the Paradise Valley strip that runs from Grand River to Gratiot. I think that the Rhino was once in on of the spots

My 2 cents. Yes the main floor looks pretty garish and typical of BW3's strip mall versions. But the work done on the upper floors looks great. The details over the windows and the date block look wonderful. I think on the whole people should be very pleased a large company/franchise is putting stock into the downtown area, and should be a good signal to others to follow suit just like other brands such as Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Jimmy John's and others have.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    My 2 cents. Yes the main floor looks pretty garish and typical of BW3's strip mall versions. But the work done on the upper floors looks great. The details over the windows and the date block look wonderful. I think on the whole people should be very pleased a large company/franchise is putting stock into the downtown area, and should be a good signal to others to follow suit just like other brands such as Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Jimmy John's and others have.
    Hi mcs, yes... at least the garish part is removable... and the ornate entranceway on the right was covered over. Although the first floor is kitsch, I will concede 1) they're making use of a long empty building, 2) they did add a nice cornice to the top of the building... 3) they repainted the facade of floors 2, 3 and 4, and 4) they added an addition covering the demolished building to the left, and put a small cornice that matches the main building [[although everything below that cornice looks as you say is befitting of a "strip mall".

Here's the before...
    http://i39.tinypic.com/k13z1k.gif
    And here's the after...

Does anybody know whats going on at the old barber shop next door?

Looks like it opened today:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ors_picks=true

Anyone check it out?

Love the way they said "we kept the integrity of the old building"... and left out "hidden behind a modern entrance veneer"...

Looks like it opened today:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ors_picks=true

Anyone check it out?
    We went last night - it was absoluty packed. Enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. It is HUGE and I think we'll be catching quite a few games here.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast