Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Does anyone have any updated photos of the progress?

I went by yesterday and they are moving ahead quickly

countdown to wing goodness.. I wonder when they'll be hiring for staff.. i've got a nephew that needs a job..

Funny! ------ I find the wings enemic and bland, but I am glad to see them make a move into the city!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    I also don't care for chain restaurants for the most part; however, I do love going to BW3 here in lovely Ferndale once I sell enough plasma and cash in my returnables.

Apparently they are moving along faster than Old Butcher Shoppe on Woodward!------

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Does anyone have any updated photos of the progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Funny! ------ I find the wings enemic and bland, but I am glad to see them make a move into the city!
    Agree completely, on both counts.
    I find their wings to be just that, enemic and bland
    but I am glad to see them moving into the city, even if it is a chain

Here's a picture of the building from today [[hopefully... first post)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Here's a picture of the building from today [[hopefully... first post)
    They need to hurry up. Missing the Tigers playoffs is loss revenue since there is no Hockey season and playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    They need to hurry up. Missing the Tigers playoffs is loss revenue since there is no Hockey season and playoffs this year.
    I believe I read they will open in November, so baseball is out. They should do well for football games though.

Oh no! They painted it.

I didnt know buffaloes had wings. Must be pretty big wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Oh no! They painted it.
    At least paint and [[hopefully) covering over the fancy archway on the first floor so they can have their signage on the right side... is reversible at some point in the future...

But the mixing of 21st Century Neo-Jock architecture on the first floor and 19th Century Victorian architecture on floors 2-4 is sort of jarring....
    Last edited by Gistok; October-04-12 at 08:11 PM.

I don't recall ever seeing a brick building get unpainted, except by weathering, which could take decades. I'd think strpping it would be damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I didnt know buffaloes had wings. Must be pretty big wings.
    They're all dead, aren't they? They have angel wings. They have angel wings.
    Last edited by Brock7; October-04-12 at 08:37 PM.

Oh no! They painted it.
    It has been painted for decades.

I thought the facade looked like it hadn't ever been painted in the most recent photos, but I see that's not the case.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I don't recall ever seeing a brick building get unpainted, except by weathering, which could take decades. I'd think strpping it would be damaging.
    Google is your friend....
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4443551_remo...rom-brick.html

Anyways, the new cornice seems like an improvement.

Anyways, the new cornice seems like an improvement.
    Yes it does look much better with the cornice. I also like how they carry the detail between the first and second floors over to the addition as a cornice for that part.

Although instead of the cornice I wish they would have restored the original look of the top floor like in this picture from www.historicdetroit.org
    Name:  Temple of Odd Fellows.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  45.1 KB

I like the paint. It brings out the historical highlights on the facade. However, the real test will be to see what they do to the ground floor.

The original ground floor facade was fancier too. I didn't recognize that it was the same building the first time I ran across these photos. I guess the building was first renovated sometime between 1892 and 1919.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dpa1ic/x...7/eb02e097.tif
    http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dpa1ic/x...8/eb02e098.tif

BWW is a horrible over-priced chain. Are people really that excited about them opening up a location?

I'll probably never go as I don't do sports bars much, but it's 'exciting' enough over the option of another unused, derelict structure employing no one, bringing zero income to the city... or another torn down building!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    BWW is a horrible over-priced chain. Are people really that excited about them opening up a location?

The original ground floor facade was fancier too. I didn't recognize that it was the same building the first time I ran across these photos. I guess the building was first renovated sometime between 1892 and 1919.

Wine and Lager Beer Hall?

I thought victorians were a bunch of prudes!

They were pretty saucy I guess - the saloons list is one of the longest in the 19th century directories. The ad for 218 Randolph is posted in the other Odd Fellows' Temple thread. This seems like a good excuse to post this advertising card for a nearby saloon of the same era. It's listed in the 1875 and 1877 directories.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast