Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lenten Fish Fry Roundup

This may be the sister thread to the Paczki Day one. The day after, Ash Wednesday, starts Lent & a common practice of churches & fraternal orgs to host Lenten Friday Fish Fries. Anyone want to chime in with their favorites? I know this year St. Thomas Aquinas in Warrendale IS NOT doing them.

Go to Chicks!

Sweetest Heart of Mary is really good. They do pierogis too.

I'm biased towards Sweetest Heart of Mary, but I've always had a good time at church fish frys regardless of which one I've gone to. Good food, good people and the churches can use the financial support, especially the older churches in the city.

st. francis d'assisi [[buchanon/wesson) in detroit.

There's no update on Sweetest Heart of Mary's website yet for the fish fry. Anyone happen to know what the hours are? I work right near there and would love to hit it sometime after work.

I always go to the Gaelic League for the Lent fish fry.

I did a tour last year including Sweetest Heart, Gaelic league, and St. Francis.
    All good but the saintly people working St. Francis were great.

My wife's family is heavily involved in the VFW Kozdron post on Plumer near Junction.
    Good one there starting up and going for $6. St. Francis is right around the corner.

St.Veronicas on Off Toepfer in Eastpointe is thee Best!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    There's no update on Sweetest Heart of Mary's website yet for the fish fry. Anyone happen to know what the hours are? I work right near there and would love to hit it sometime after work.
    Last year it was from 3-8pm so I'm assuming it's the same this year.

Also SHOM does the stations of the cross at 6:30 pm during Lent if anyone is interested. If there's anyone that hasn't been to SHOM the inside of the church really is a must see.

One of the Fridays during Lent I'm going to do a double dinner and head out to St. Francis D'assisi.
    It's one of the churches that I've never been to that I'd really like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by beanietek View Post
    st. francis d'assisi [[buchanon/wesson) in detroit.
    I checked the website and see no mention at all of the fish frys. I do remember last year that they were over by 6pm....or something super early so I could never make it. I plan on leaving work early this year to get there! Looks like they are having a pre-lenten all you can eat pancake breakfast on the 19th though
    http://www.stfrancisdetroit.org/

Just called St. Francis, they will again be serving up their beer battered fish. hours: 11 AM - 6 PM

Lots of Fridays allow you to tour...

Sweetest Heart has the best selection
    St Veronicas has the most food [[you can go up for a free refill on fish)
    KofC at St Lads had the best food, but I guess they gave it up?

St. Charles Borromeo on the east side, not far from Belle Isle will be having fish fries in March during Lent. There's a map on the website. Cost is $8 and you'll get fish, slaw, fries, roll and a cookie from On the Rise Bakery!
    -DVD

American Polish Century Club 14mile and Maple Lane, Sterling Heights
    Pierogi, potato pancakes, perch, cod, shrimp

Basia Special 2 potato pancakes, 2 pierogis and 1pcs of cod
    full bar service

3pm to 8pm

I vote with the St. Francis of Assisi crowd, the church is in SW Detroit at Buchanan and Wesson is totally excellent. Hours are not great for daytime workers, 11:00 - 6:00, but at least once during Lent I take an afternoon off to go there. The proceeds from all of their events go for repairs to the church, which is a breathtaking place inside. http://www.stfrancisdetroit.org/news/news.htm

The Gaelic League also is excellent. They have better fish & chips than I was able to get anywhere in England. And the Gaelic League has good beer as well.
    Last edited by kryptonite; February-16-12 at 07:56 AM.

Here's an article from today's Free Press that has a list of some locations, some not already listed in this thread.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120216/FEATURES02/202160384/Churches-and-clubs-welcome-the-public-to-Lenten-fish-dinners?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

Another place I remembered that was pretty good when I went a few times last year was Mult-Lakes Conservation Club in Commerce Twp. They have it year round every Friday. It's kind of a drive for most folks, but the food was good. One thing I liked about their fish fry is that it runs until 8:30 pm. Most places are done by 7 or 7:30 pm. If you work later, like me, you still get a chance to get a meal and actually eat it there. This is their info http://www.multilakes.com/fish_fry.htm.

I too have to second the votes for St. Francis of Asissi. Gotta love the dedicated people, and delicious fish.
    For those of you that've been there, the pop guy and the short skinny old lady that takes collects your money are my favorites. I always say "see ya next week" to the little old lady. Then she gives me a big hug and says "thanks for the warning". Plus the church is breathtaking.

Yes, the St. Francis fish fry people are loveable. The pop guy is great. Last year once when he spilled something at our table, he was so apologetic even though it was just a minor spill. They are the nicest people. I always give them some extra $$$ on the way out and even though I'm Protestant I try to go to a few of the church services there and donate. Easter at St. Francis is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    I checked the website and see no mention at all of the fish frys. I do remember last year that they were over by 6pm....or something super early so I could never make it. I plan on leaving work early this year to get there! Looks like they are having a pre-lenten all you can eat pancake breakfast on the 19th though

for st. francis you usually have to get there early on a friday as they tend to run out - usually between 5-6 you take your chances - so the earlier the better - but well worth it. you see the same group working it every year and they are the sweetest people - you can ask for seconds on anything and they usually are happy to oblige.

Friday bump

I met a friend over at the St. Francis fish fry around noon. The food was very good. For $8 you get three large pieces of fish, french fries, cole slaw, small cup of fruit, bread, a piece of cake and a drink. I was hoping to see the inside of the church, but unfortunately it wasn't open.

Like DetroitPlanner said - go to Chick's...they have been having Fish Fried for forever...18550 West Warren...they also have walleye, scallops, shrimp and they used to have smelt - don't know if they still do. Since I'm in Warrendale - Ss. Peter and Paul on Grandville have a Fish Fry from 4-7. The one I am going to try this year is carry out only - Szegedi's Catering. I pass that place a million times and notices they have a Fish Fry every Lent - carry out only - got the menu online. Prices seem reasonable 11am-7pm. They have mac and cheese...yum..the Frog legs - give em back to the frog.

Default St. Francis of Assisi fish fry

Hi everyone,

I don't post much, and I know that this topic has been beat to death, but I just returned from yet another fish fry at St. Francis of Asissi. I've been going to these fish frys for years on my lunch, and it is still my favorite. The food is great, but it's the PEOPLE that really make the visit worthwhile. These are a dedicated, loving bunch of people.

I realize that I'm making a plug for them, but they deserve it. Plus, they are going to be on Channel 7 news at 5pm today.

Here's a link about the church for your enjoyment:

Thanks for listening, and I hope you give St. Francis's fish fry and/or their church a visit.

A100 driver

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast