Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is the current state of the Wurlitzer building?

I am still pretty new to these forums and I am doing my homework on Detroit and learning more about the city as I am considering moving there.

I have heard of Wurlitzers before, even got to see one up close, I didn't realize they had any connection to Detroit before now.

Well I took a look at Google images and I needless to say I didn't like what I found.

What is the current state of this building, who owns it and are there any plans for the building? It seems such a pity to let it go to ruin like that.

While I am thinking about it and instead of creating another board does anyone know if there is a map or a listing of Detroit's decay? I mean obviously there is an extensive amount but has anyone made a conservation register or the like? I think it would be a worthwhile project if only to make that information easily available in one place instead of trying to track down individual buildings. It would be nice to get a listing of who owns what too.

Also does anyone know where I can get ahold of Candy Apple flavored Faygo? A few of my family members tried it but we have never been able to find it again. Of course we live in Mormonville in the middle of Utah where ICP has been labelled as a violent, criminal gang and we have to drive three towns over to buy Faygo in small bottles.

Default Wurlitzer Bldg

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    While I am thinking about it and instead of creating another board does anyone know if there is a map or a listing of Detroit's decay? I mean obviously there is an extensive amount but has anyone made a conservation register or the like? I think it would be a worthwhile project if only to make that information easily available in one place instead of trying to track down individual buildings. It would be nice to get a listing of who owns what too.

Also does anyone know where I can get ahold of Candy Apple flavored Faygo? A few of my family members tried it but we have never been able to find it again. Of course we live in Mormonville in the middle of Utah where ICP has been labelled as a violent, criminal gang and we have to drive three towns over to buy Faygo in small bottles.
    What is ICP?
    The Wurlitzer bldg is named after the old Wurlitzer Pianos. The building was filled with music, pianos and instruments made by Wurlitzer. I used to take piano lessons there.
    Faygo is sold by Dollar Generals and Dollar stores.
    Try contacting the city direct [[there may be an urban planning office) about maps, etc.

So since ICP has been labeled violent you can't get Faygo where you live? Right...

You can buy Faygo online: http://www.faygo.com/store/

There is also a store locator.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; February-08-12 at 10:27 AM.

hmm, I thought apple faygo was long defunct.. if not, I hope they come out with diet..

The person who owns the building has been letting it fall apart and has not abided judges' orders to clean it up. Talk to Chris Jaszczak at 1515 Broadway. He has had debris falling on his loft for years now and knows a great deal about the building, having lived on the block since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    What is ICP?
    The Wurlitzer bldg is named after the old Wurlitzer Pianos. The building was filled with music, pianos and instruments made by Wurlitzer. I used to take piano lessons there.
    Faygo is sold by Dollar Generals and Dollar stores.
    Try contacting the city direct [[there may be an urban planning office) about maps, etc.
    ICP = Insane Clown Posse. A murder rap group from Detroit.

Did Wurlitzer only make pianos or is that only what the building in Detroit was responsible for? My great grandfather used to repair Wurlitzer Jukeboxes. My great grandmother told me the story of how they were poor but they still had a jukebox because he would take home the broken parts when he would replace them for customers and he would repair them and eventually he built them a jukebox. I remember seeing it when I was really little but we lost it in storage years ago. I always wondered what became of it.

There are only three dollar stores in my area and not a one of them carries Faygo unfortunatly. Plenty of Arizona Tea but no Faygo.

Do you happen to know the number to call?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    So since ICP has been labeled violent you can't get Faygo where you live? Right...
    I am not saying that is the only factor I think that since we are also in an upscale LDS neighborhood that most people here have never even heard of Faygo let alone ICP so the demand for the product just isn't here.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    You can buy Faygo online: http://www.faygo.com/store/

There is also a store locator.
    Thank you. I sent in a request. I hope there is somewhere I have missed. I would be happy to travel into SLC if I have to.

The Candy Apple flavor I am looking for was discontinued but it has supposedly been brought back. It isn't available online. I have checked Amazon, The Faygo Website among others and I haven't been able to find it. If anyone here finds it for sale online please let me know. I don't mind if the price is higher since I have to pay more in gas money to go and buy Faygo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    The person who owns the building has been letting it fall apart and has not abided judges' orders to clean it up. Talk to Chris Jaszczak at 1515 Broadway. He has had debris falling on his loft for years now and knows a great deal about the building, having lived on the block since 1979.
    That is terrible. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to maintain the building. Why buy it and leave it to rot? I mean bricks are falling off of it. If they hit someone, and from the height they are falling they will likely kill the unfortunate soul unlucky enough to be passing by, the owner will be in for one expensive lawsuit! Is the building in such bad shape on the inside that going inside is dangerous? I would think that whoever owns the building could just go and remove the bricks falling from the top and the roof which needs to be replaced anyway and just cover the top until they can aquire the funding to fix the building properly. Sitting on your property and hoping to cash in if someone wants to buy it is one thing but I would feel really bad if it were endangering passersby and could even kill them if they happen to be there at the wrong time.

Unfortunately, it takes a long time for somebody to be found in contempt of a court order and face jail ...

... especially when your wife is a sitting judge!

Unfortunately, it takes a long time for somebody to be found in contempt of a court order and face jail ...

... especially when your wife is a sitting judge!
    Just because his wife is a judge shouldn't entitle him to special treatment. Especially when the building is a blatant hazard that will eventually result in someone dying. Not only that but isn't The Wurlitzer Building in a prime location and, were it to be rennovated, greatly improve the image of that part of town? The view from the top of that building is a baseball fans dream. If the owner would just fix that building he would be rewarded with a view of the baseball field for the rest of his life. I think The Wurlitzer building could be put to great use as not just a cool office building but it would also make a great hotel with that view. Isn't one of the reasons Detroit has a hard time attracting conventions and such due to the lack of hotels and places to host such an event? This building would be a prime candidate give its location I would think. It seems like there is much more to gain by rennovating that building than leaving it to rot.

Yes, Maria. You are correct. I had intended to deliver that last remark with a knowing wink, because we know that, in this town, our powerful, anointed few have what is called a DYKWTFIA complex [["don't you know who the f&$% I am?"). It's refreshing, actually, to hear somebody say this is not how things should be.

Then again, forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

Yes, Maria. You are correct. I had intended to deliver that last remark with a knowing wink, because we know that, in this town, our powerful, anointed few have what is called a DYKWTFIA complex [["don't you know who the f&$% I am?"). It's refreshing, actually, to hear somebody say this is not how things should be.

Then again, forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
    I think that is one of the problems Detroit faces. Those who are native to Detroit have grown up with the understanding that this is how the city is and what can one single person do to change all of the decay and the corruption and the gloom that has cast its misery over the city.

What is the current population of Detroit? Like 900K? Think about it. If everyone took one day off of work and joined forces that would be 7.2 million man hours that the city could use to remove blight and decay and give the criminals less of a place to hide. When people take pride in their city they won't tolerate corruption and the criminals in office will find themselves out of work and behind bars. Just think if all of those 900K people donated $10 each. That would be 9 million dollars in revenue to rebuild the city. I wouldn't dare underestimate the power of the people. Especially when they are united by a common cause of good that will benefit them all. Knowing that I wouldn't dare count Detroit as being down and out by any stretch of the imagination. The people of Detroit have the power to fix the city and reinvent it into a grand recreation of its former self.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    The Candy Apple flavor I am looking for was discontinued but it has supposedly been brought back. It isn't available online. I have checked Amazon, The Faygo Website among others and I haven't been able to find it. If anyone here finds it for sale online please let me know....
    John Nese is the proprietor of Galco's Soda Pop Stop in LA. If anyone would know, he would. Their website lists Jones and Zotz brand Candy Apple flavors but not Faygo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    John Nese is the proprietor of Galco's Soda Pop Stop in LA. If anyone would know, he would. Their website lists Jones and Zotz brand Candy Apple flavors but not Faygo.
    Thank you. I appreciate the lead. It was only recently that I started to enjoy Faygo. My other family members are all ICP fans so they had been drinking it for awhile. I finally tried their root beer and fell in love and the rest of my family swears that Candy Apple was the best flavor so I am trying to find it.

That website is really cool too. I didn't know they still made Moxie and Grape Nehi.

Faygo has the Candy Apple in 24 oz bottles but they don't sell them on line. Maybe we could find some and arrange a box for you. I sent my sister a couple six packs of Rock and Rye for Christmas, cost the earth to send them to Alaska but she loved them. Might send her some for her birthday, come to think of it.

Try contacting Faygo and see what can be done, their contact per the website is

faygoweb@nationalbeverage.com