Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Van Dyke Place Mansion For Sale

The Van Dyke Place Mansion went on the market last week for $145,000.00

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/interoir-reveal-van-dyke-mansion.php
    Last edited by MidTownMs; February-06-12 at 05:29 PM.

Exterior pics taken last October.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    The Van Dyke Place Mansion went on the market last week for $145.000.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/interoir-reveal-van-dyke-mansion.php
    The difference between a comma and a period make a big difference in price.

Name:  Finck entrance.jpg
Views: 3950
Size:  49.2 KB

Finck house by George D. Mason co, ca 1912 I think. Nice Ludowici tile roof. This photo is from Burton, MR0042.
    Last edited by southofbloor; February-06-12 at 04:22 PM.

Name:  finck.jpg
Views: 3538
Size:  23.6 KB

Finck house early photo

Name:  finck garage.jpg
Views: 4109
Size:  42.2 KB

Finck house garage

I toured it last Friday with a realtor, It's a disaster inside. Kitchen and baths have been stripped out, the staircase is original as is some plaster details. The lower level where I saw songstress Sherry Nichols back in the day is also a mess. The shady exchange between 3 men in the front alley was a little interesting as well.

I worked there parking cars in '84-85 when it was the Van Dyke Place restaurant. Meals cost $30 per entree back then. If I didn't make $100 parking cars in a night, it was not a good night even if the bartender WAS bringing me out Absolute and Waters. The chef lived upstairs at the time. "Twas a fun place to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    I toured it last Friday with a realtor, It's a disaster inside.
    Other than the kitchen and baths being stripped, is it bad? The interior pics look great to me. [[Even 'stripped' isn't too stripped.)

Looks like morons with paint wrecked most of the woodwork. A single door frame can take 30 hours to strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiko View Post
    Looks like morons with paint wrecked most of the woodwork. A single door frame can take 30 hours to strip.
    Maybe they aren't as intelligent as you but why do they have to be morons?

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Other than the kitchen and baths being stripped, is it bad? The interior pics look great to me. [[Even 'stripped' isn't too stripped.)
    Yes it's pretty bad, there newer gas forced furnaces that have the huge pipe vents coming right through the 2nd floof stairs. Buckled wood floors, ceiling are beginning to collapse, all exterior eves and gutters are rotting and falling. The veranda stairs and porch on the exterior are in need of a total rebuild. I saw none of the original pewabic tiles that were suppose to be there.

I saw the pictures on Curbed. while I have not been inside, it certainly looks "fixable" It is quite the house, maybe for a lower price?

http://www.motorgay.net/