Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    When I read the above line in bold I thought of Paul McCartney having to be the one that payed for the refurblshment of the Steinway grand piano at the Motown Museum. The former Motown stars should be embarrassed by that.
    Not any more embarrassing than Barry Gordy leaving for LA.

While I applaud any artist that gives back to the area, there shouldn't be any shame associated with not giving back as much either. People give back in their own way. We ALL could probably give back to our roots and civic causes a lot more than we do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Not any more embarrassing than Barry Gordy leaving for LA.

While I applaud any artist that gives back to the area, there shouldn't be any shame associated with not giving back as much either. People give back in their own way. We ALL could probably give back to our roots and civic causes a lot more than we do now.
    I would disagree with that. The move to LA was a buisness decision.
    I'm talking about a non functioning piano. A few of them couldn't have done a benifit concert to raise money to fix a damn piano? Or even give the museum some money, word has it that some of them are quite wealthy.

This "giving back to the community" stuff is horsecrap.

Barry Gordy made a lot of money because he made music that people like so they bought it. They didn't buy it out of charity - it was good music and he deserved it. For every Barry Gordy there are dozens of failed musicians and producers in Detroit - if Barry Gordy owes the people of Detroit something then the people of Detroit owe those failed musicians something. It's a ridiculous concept.

The only argument you'd have is if he took tax breaks or something - then he should pay those back. Other than that - whatever charity work people do for the community should be lauded - it's beyond what they "owe."

I don't care what he calls it. It's his money.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    When I read the above line in bold I thought of Paul McCartney having to be the one that payed for the refurblshment of the Steinway grand piano at the Motown Museum. The former Motown stars should be embarrassed by that.
    As I recall, the piano that was restored by Paul McCartney was not an original instrument from the recording studio at Motown. It was a prop for the sake of having instruments in the recording studio for Motown museum visitors.

http://detroithistoryrevealed.blogsp...m-misstep.html

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    "Made in Detroit" to me is a brand for the people who live in the Metro Detroit area, who are proud of where they come from and are willing to show their pride by wearing these shirts. Also, I'm willing to bet that most of the people wearing these shirts are living outside of the "city limits" There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

This was also the fact that University of Detroit t-shirts were some of the best selling apparel along with the USC, UCLA and big name schools in college sales because of the word "Detroit" on the apparel.

As far as Kid Rock's heart not being in the right place, he sure does help out......
    2011 Highlights
    ^ During a concert at Detroit’s Ford Field in January, Kid Rock received the Spirit of Detroit
    Award, an honor presented by the Detroit City Council to a person, event or organization for outstanding
    achievement or service to the citizens of Detroit.
    ^ Also at the Ford Field concert, Kid Rock announced a $25,000 donation each to Detroit-based
    COTS [[Coalition on Temporary Shelter); Detroit’s Capuchin Soup Kitchen; Pontiac, Michigan-based
    HAVEN, a shelter for victims of domestic violence; and Rochester, Michigan-based Rainbow Connection,
    an organization dedicated to fulfilling wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses.
    ^ In April Kid Rock made a surprise visit to his alma mater, Romeo High School, to present the
    school’s music program with a $5000 donation on behalf the GRAMMY Foundation and Best Buy. Kid
    Rock also made a personal matching donation of $5000 during the presentation.
    ^ On May 1, the Detroit branch of the NAACP presented Kid Rock with its Great Expectations
    Award during its annual Fight For Freedom fundraising dinner. The honor recognized his promotion of
    Detroit and support of its citizens. While accepting the award Kid Rock made a $100,000 donation to be
    divided equally among the Detroit Recreation Department, Detroit’s Friends of Belle Isle, Mosaic Youth
    Theatre of Detroit, YouthVille Detroit, and Habitat for Humanity, as well as the American Red Cross to aid
    in its efforts of assisting those communities throughout the South devastated by tornadoes in April.
    ^ In July, while performing at the Red Sky Music Festival in Omaha, Nebraska, Kid Rock
    announced the foundation donated $10,000 to the Nebraska-Southwest Iowa Region of the American Red
    Cross to support disaster assistance related to Missouri River flooding.
    This. It's funny his haters are so quick to bash him for something so petty but ignore all the good he does. Some people need to just get over it.

Well they ain't Detroit prices. $34 for a T-shirt?

Funny, we sell them for $24, though you can buy a $34 premium tee if you choose. I assume the $90 Denim jacket that is actually produced in Michigan is a bit rich for your blood though.
    Last edited by tvaspen; February-07-12 at 11:58 PM.

We use his same printing facility in Maddy Heights.

I noticed this morning that CNN is running this story. It sounded like the kid is going to try to back step a little after so much bad publicity.

You mean to say that it's not made of Detroit-grown cotton? jkjk

I understand the shirt not being made in Detroit, but I would have an expectation that it at least would be made in the USA.

Kid Rock bought the Made In Detroit business and expanded it's appeal nationwide to make it's image iconic for Detroit. It's not KR's fault that the textile industry relocated decades ago to south Asia. He remains a local guy, donating his time and money to various local charities and is supportive of all things Detroit. I think Kid Rock is due for some slack being cut in his favor.

I think I'll incorporate a label called "Fraud".

Dare to cal me a cheat!

They even make a throwback t-shirt for a long-dead CANADIAN amusement park, i am OUTRAGED!:
    http://dev.detroitoutfitters.com/pro...&pfid=DTO00916

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    As pointed out above, the guy has done more to give back to Detroit than anyone that has posted on this thread. He bought out the Made In Detroit franchise so it wouldn't go out of business and has never taken a paycheck from the business so of course there's going to be a bunch of whiners crying about what he's not doing. Partystore, how much have you given to help Detroit and its people?

Sure, his beer sucks but at least he's employing people in Webberville, MI. How many people is Occurence signing the paycheck for? I'm going to go out on a limb and say the KR has donated more to the poor in the Detroit area than Occurence and Partystore combined.
    I've committed two years of my life to community service in the City of Detroit by working in Detroit Public Schools and planning/performing neighborhood beautification and hands-on revitalization projects. I've arranged fundraisers for music programs. I also happen to live in the City of Detroit. This is silly.

I'm just sayin'... is Kid Rock absolved from criticism?

He performs in Detroit. That's fine. Good. You'll also see Sesame Street Live and Rick Springfield on nearby marquees. This is part of my problem with Kid Rock: just because he performs in Detroit and maintains association, this is seen as a favor in itself. People believe that any association with Detroit is a favor, and the City should be grateful. I find this condescending. I'm not discounting his charitable givings... that's great. Really. But this wasn't about his charity...

Since Kid Rock is lauded by so many in this area [[who spit their own venom in defense of the man), isn't there a level of expectation? If so, isn't the question of where his clothing brand "Made in Detroit" is produced, somewhat relevant to the context of his apparent passion and love for the City? I just found it ironic that "Made in Detroit" would be made anywhere else -- and owned by a hometown hero.

You're right. It is his money.
    Last edited by partystore; February-08-12 at 04:37 PM.

detroitjim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by partystore View Post
    I,I,I,I,I..I
    Lemme help you! ...........am the Frito Bandito.Give me Frito's corn chips and I'll be your friend. The Frito Bandito you must not offend.

Better Made, man.
    Last edited by partystore; February-08-12 at 04:29 PM.

I can't believe you support Better Made. They claim to be from Detroit but where do they get their potatoes from? It's bullshit.

Are Chris Rock and Kid Rock somehow related?

Would this be a good time for me to mention that he's a traitorous, racist bastard because he flies the Confederate flag during his concerts and claims it's ok because it's just part of the show and we shouldn't be offended; yet wraps his ass in the United States of America flag when it's convenient?

Filed under: Just Sayin' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    I can't believe you support Better Made. They claim to be from Detroit but where do they get their potatoes from? It's bullshit.
    The potatoes are actually cut, packaged and transported from Gratiot and Harper in Detroit contributing to Detroit's GDP, not 26 Mile and Van Dyke in Romeo [[or wherever that "Made In Detroit" factory is, it's not in Detroit and not contributing to Detroit's GDP). I'll also bet the vast majority of the potatoes come from within Michigan. Who would realistically expect to find agricultural items grown on a large scale basis in a major american city? That's completely different from actually using those agricultural items to MANUFACTURE items in a major american city.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-08-12 at 08:35 PM.

DetroitYes: where no good deed goes unpunished.

I bet that Senator from Alabama who wanted Michigan to go down the drain is reading this forum and rubbing his hands together and laughing about all the infighting.

"One bus system in the city only and another for the suburbs? Hahaha!"
    "They divide and fight depending on what side of the street they live on? Hahaha!"
    "They go to their own tax subsidized schools and then leave? Hahaha!"
    "They hate their own industry, buy crap from China, and then wonder where the jobs are? Hahaha!"
    "More, more! They're doing it to themselves!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The potatoes are actually cut, packaged and transported from Gratiot and Harper in Detroit contributing to Detroit's GDP, not 26 Mile and Van Dyke in Romeo [[or wherever that "Made In Detroit" factory is, it's not in Detroit and not contributing to Detroit's GDP). I'll also bet the vast majority of the potatoes come from within Michigan. Who would realistically expect to find agricultural items grown on a large scale basis in a major american city? That's completely different from actually using those agricultural items to MANUFACTURE items in a major american city.
    I wouldn't expect you to get such obvious sarcasm.

Who would realistically expect to find agricultural items grown on a large scale basis in a major american city?
    Substitute "agricultural" with Textile and substitute "grown" with manufatured.

I'm not discounting his charitable givings
    I, as do others from the looks of it, think you are. Because the amount that he does give to the city far, far exceeds that a few fucking T-shirts aren't made there. The business is there and that business is epitome of promotion of the city and that in of itself far outweighs where some of the shirts come from.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast