Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    It's people like you who used to bug Robert Young for medical advice.
    Oh, okay...

Nice ad... a lot of people liked it, the same usual folks didn't...

Anyone with 50 posts and half a brain would know that Chrysler is Detroit's largest employer, and quit bitching about the location of the HQ.

Eastwood is a "tough old bird"... and I think he did a good job of showing that Detroit can be the same. And lets not forget that last years announcer didn't exactly have a soft voice either. Here's a comment about the commercial...

"The 81-year-old Academy Award-winner kept returning to the mantra that it's "halftime in America" while it was, in fact, halftime at the Super Bowl. Eastwood conceded the struggles that the auto industry -- as well as the entire nation -- have faced in recent years but his tone was ultimately defiant and optimistic, looking ahead to the so-called second half. The powerful ad was certainly a departure from the rest of the day's offerings and left many people applauding."

This appears to have struck another positive chord among Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    It's people like you who used to bug Robert Young for medical advice.
    It would have been nice to hear Clint do "Make my day" one more time though at the end of it like;
    "Make my day Detroit."

Occurrence Guest

People who say we are putting emphasis on arbitrary lines and boarders, why are there so many suburbs and municipalities? Exactly how many suburbs are there anyways? Why don't they consolidate so we have less?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    People who say we are putting emphasis on arbitrary lines and boarders, why are there so many suburbs and municipalities? Exactly how many suburbs are there anyways? Why don't they consolidate so we have less?
    Ask Clint if he wants Detroit metro to include cities all the way to Carmel, Ca. where he was the mayor for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    Wha? It's a commercial! Is this world becoming that politically correct that you can't compare and contrast your product against those of other companies? I don't see Ford backing down at all touting the fact that they have been the best selling truck for 8 million years running...but then again since they aren't the longest lasting truck on the road, Ford die-hards have to replace them more often, thus padding the sales figures! Ha!

I'm just waiting for some environmentalist to chime in about the abuse of frogs in the commercial...
    A higher percentage of Fords are actually working trucks. They also have the highest owner loyalty of ANY mainstream vehicle. That says more about them than any survey does

I still like the over all effect and the attention we got. My druthers?

1-It recycled last year's sensational ad. Not the kind of thinking our auto industry needs. "What is happening has happened". It needs to continually innovate and reinvent, not copy themselves. I am reminded of the last time Chrysler went belly up, followed by a bail out [paid back] and recovery, and just for that reason. In their comeback line, they introduced the Omni and Horizon, with a transverse 4 cylinder engine. It was their first new engine in 23 years! [And even that was reverse engineered from the Volkswagen Rabbit.] Ford likewise cribbed the idea for the Fiesta at that time.

2-As much as I like Clint Eastwood [just saw his J Edgar] I think they needed to continue to go after the younger demographic like they did with Eminem. Not sure who that would be but not a fossil no matter how distinguished he is. Although he did get attention with that gravel voice.

Interesting point! With the over-styled [[IMO) look and aesthetic of most of the Chrysler Sedans and Coupes I was not feeling Eastwood for that. Chrysler is clearly going after the younger buyers in many of its models. The older driver, seeking a bit of fun too.... well sure I've driven a 300 before... The return of the Dodge Dart? Well maybe.

In any event nothing could make me purchase any Chrysler product. But good ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...As much as I like Clint Eastwood [just saw his J Edgar] I think they needed to continue to go after the younger demographic like they did with Eminem. Not sure who that would be but not a fossil no matter how distinguished he is. Although he did get attention with that gravel voice.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-06-12 at 01:09 PM.

A higher percentage of Fords are actually working trucks.
    Did I miss the survey that was taken of truck owners whose trucks are no longer running and are in scrap yards?

Attachment 11961

"The fog of division, discord, and blame made it hard to see what lies ahead. But after those trials, we all rallied around what was right, and acted as one. Because that’s what we do. We find a way through tough times, and if we can’t find a way, then we’ll make one.

All that matters now is what’s ahead. How do we come from behind? How do we come together? And, how do we win?"
    Union members picketing the State Capitol building in Madison, Wisconsin are showing us it can be done. And, what’s true about them is true about all of us.

What lies ahead in the second half? Apparently all that matters is that Scott Walker gets recalled, the President wins a second term, taxpayers forget about that $1.3 billion and everyone just keeps on believing that "Detroit’s showing us it can be done".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Union members picketing the State Capitol building in Madison, Wisconsin are showing us it can be done. And, what’s true about them is true about all of us.

What lies ahead in the second half? Apparently all that matters is that Scott Walker gets recalled, the President wins a second term, taxpayers forget about that $1.3 billion and everyone just keeps on believing that "Detroit’s showing us it can be done".
    Sounds like a good place to start.

i think the add sucked. it compared the city to the country, but there is no connection

I don't think anyone thought that this commercial was going to be as good as last year. The anticipation for halftime to see this commercial maybe made me think it would be better, but I was just not impressed with it at all. I'm a bit surprised it's getting so much national acclaim. That ad was ok, but overall, I really thought that most of the ad's were pretty crappy. Except the Fiat ad. That was just pure ecstasy

muskie1 Guest

The amazing thing is that they used a guy who didn't agree with the bail out.
    I guess they could have checked a little better when they picked someone to do this commercial.
    http://m.jalopnik.com/5882747/clint-...-like-chrysler

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    Well the street shot [[plate) sorta looked like a Los Angeles streetscape like east L.A. or something. Maybe it was trying very hard to be South Detroit, oh no!

Question: At what point was Chrysler HQed IN Detroit? My dad worked in Highland Park for almost 40 years.

I didn't have any problem with the ad. It was subtle in a commercial landscape that was overrun with "cute", and [[to me) was more a statement of philosophy than anything. Both the product placement and the company logos were in the backround in the ad. A very effective and low key way to sell cars.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Question: At what point was Chrysler HQed IN Detroit? My dad worked in Highland Park for almost 40 years.

I didn't have any problem with the ad. It was subtle in a commercial landscape that was overrun with "cute", and [[to me) was more a statement of philosophy than anything. Both the product placement and the company logos were in the backround in the ad. A very effective and low key way to sell cars.
    I believe Chrysler HQ was in Highland Park itself for many years and not Detroit.

Awesome ad by the way. Every bit as good as last years in my humble opinion. Go Chrysler!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    2-As much as I like Clint Eastwood [just saw his J Edgar] I think they needed to continue to go after the younger demographic like they did with Eminem. Not sure who that would be but not a fossil no matter how distinguished he is. Although he did get attention with that gravel voice.
    Lowell, I think you are mistaken when you say that the younger demographic does not appreciate Clint Eastwood. I myself and many others that I know love Clint Eastwood and the general concensus is that he is "The Man". I would compare the younger generations love for Clint Eastwood to their love for Ron Paul. It is like the fossil that we can still relate to. Anyone who has seen Gran Torino and even his older movies can do nothing but appreciate who he is and what he has stood for. He stands up for Detroit, which is more than I can say about most well-off people.

Ask Ron Paul to stand for Detroit.

"Are you feeling lucky punk? Did I say six cylinders or eight? What I have here is a 440 magnum, the most powerfull engine in the world..."

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Ask Ron Paul to stand for Detroit.
    Wasn't saying Ron Paul stood for Detroit at all....I wasn't even even saying I support Ron Paul. Just being real in that the younger voting population would prefer Ron Paul over any of the other Republican candidates.

^True that.

GUSHI Guest

F.ound o.n R.oad D.ead ='Ford'

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    F.ound o.n R.oad D.ead ='Ford'
    F[[irst) [[O)n [[R)ace [[D)ay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast