Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2012 Jazz Festival schedule released

Here is the schedule for this year's Labor Day weekend jazz fest:
    http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/PDF/12schedule.pdf

And a stellar schedule it is too! Easily the best lineup they've ever had, including Sonny Rollins, Wayne Shorter, Wynton Marsalis, Chick Corea, Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, artist-in-residence Terence Blanchard, and too many other greats to name - including many of our local and native greats.

Most of the festival is happening in Hart Plaza [[unlike several other events that have been moved out of there). However, despite earlier hype about moving the entire event back to the Plaza, I see that that many of the biggest acts will in fact be on a so-called "main stage" in Cadillac Square - far from Hart Plaza. I saw Herbie Hancock and other acts there a few years back, and found it a pretty uncomfortable and unaccommodating place to watch a show, with poor acoustics.

I think the Jazz Festival people were originally counting on the promised availability of the old Ford Auditorium site as an addition to Hart Plaza, so they could re-consolidate the festival there. But, as we all know, that ain't happening [[yet?).

Cant wait, only problem for me is there a few acts I want to see playing at the same time at other venue's. In that case I think I will see the act I havent seen before. Might catch some Friday night gigs, but for sure be there Sat-Mon.

No Hot Club this year?

I haven't been in a couple of years but this looks amazing.

Wow great looking list.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Here is the schedule for this year's Labor Day weekend jazz fest:
    http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/PDF/12schedule.pdf
    That PDF doesn't seem to be working any longer, try this one:

http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/PDF/12schedule2b.pdf

Great! I plan to be there every minute I can! Thanks for lists : )

We've heard good things about what's happening at the Jazz Festival this year, but haven't made it down there yet. Maybe today....

Anyone been?

Latest version of the schedule: http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/PDF/12schedule3.pdf

Spent last evening at the Jazz Festival. Quite a crowd!!!

Pat Methany packed them in at the main state in Cadillac Square. Never seen anything like it before....the audience extended to Campus Martius, which was completely packed with chairs facing the main stage that they couldn't even see!!

The other big acts of the evening--Charlie Gabriel Preservation Hall 100th Anniversary at the Pyramid stage, the Wayne Shorter Tribute and Wayne Shorter Band at the Amphitheatre, and Poncho Sanchez wsg Terrence Blanchard at the Waterfront stage--were completely packed!!! Great music enjoyed by all!!!

Nice to see JimG at the Jazz Talk Tent!

More great music on tap for today....

Is it just me or has there been way, way, way more coverage devoted to Arts, Beats and Eats?