Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I think they are going to build one around 14 mile and Van Dyke in Warren soon.
    Link? Proof? Source?

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Link? Proof? Source?
    Have a friend that does business with the city of Warren. Looking around where that golf dome is on Van Dyke.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Have a friend that does business with the city of Warren. Looking around where that golf dome is on Van Dyke.
    I heard it was going in where the old Walmart was at Tech Plaza on Van Dyke at 12 Mile. Mayor Fouts has said he has a national retailer eyeing that sight but Walmart refuses to let go of their lease because they don't want any competition moving in.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I heard it was going in where the old Walmart was at Tech Plaza on Van Dyke at 12 Mile. Mayor Fouts has said he has a national retailer eyeing that sight but Walmart refuses to let go of their lease because they don't want any competition moving in.
    The Livonia location is huge. There is an empty strip mall next to it with a closed Walmart and F&M's once largest store. The proposed site is currently Kroger's old distribution center. Tech Plaza may be too small, even if you could get the entire mall to move out!

Claude, you forgot the Forest City pioneered that type of store and metro Detroit had several of those. They closed down about the same time the HQ got bought out by Builder's Square.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-11-12 at 08:38 PM.

Seems there is interest in Chesterfield as well. Here is a link for whoever seems to require links/ proof.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/20...3257634879.txt

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Livonia location is huge. There is an empty strip mall next to it with a closed Walmart and F&M's once largest store. The proposed site is currently Kroger's old distribution center. Tech Plaza may be too small, even if you could get the entire mall to move out!

Claude, you forgot the Forest City pioneered that type of store and metro Detroit had several of those. They closed down about the same time the HQ got bought out by Builder's Square.
    The Walmart and F&Ms was originally a Handy Andy.
    I think they may have pre dated Forest City.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Forest City sold off their retail stores to Handy Andy in 1987, which went bankrupt in the mid-90s. Forest City remains in business today as a real estate developer.

When I was a teenager [[mid-60s), the building housed a GEM department store. Anyone remember those? You needed some kind of sponsorship to "be a member" [[my dad's credit union in our case). It was a lot like a Topp's or Shopper's Fair. I remember them having great prices on LPs and 45s.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Forest City pre-dated Handy Andy which it became and was short-lived. They were a pioneer in Metro- Detroit home improvement stores, quite the novelty.

Soon, the landscape was inundated with "Do it Yourself" big box stores like [[K-Mart owned) Builder's Square, HQ, and Home Depot. After mergers, hostile takeovers, etc., the current breed exists today.