Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Menard's may come to Livonia.

There is a proposal to bring Menard's into Michigan starting in Livonia. The Midwest based thrift store will set up their first location on the corner of Middlebelt and Schoolcraft FWY. Where the old Forest City-Farmer Jack-F&M-mini mall andWal-Mart used to be. The last Menard's I went it was in Chicago, Ill. What do think about this store? Will it blow Meijer's and K-mart off the competitive list or retreat like Jack in the Box restaurants?

Menard's has stores all over Michigan, just not in the southeast part of the state.

Now if Dan Gilbert really wants to do something big for Detroit [[in my eyes), he should lobby for them to open a mega store in one of his buildings and/or any of the pieces of land he owns downtown.

I'm glad that Metro-Detroit should get a Menard's. This will boost up their competition.

Menard's is a dump. Like shopping at a rural Kentucky swapmeet.

And they seem to be all over the state, except in Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    There is a proposal to bring Menard's into Michigan starting in Livonia. The Midwest based thrift store will set up their first location on the corner of Middlebelt and Schoolcraft FWY. Where the old Forest City-Farmer Jack-F&M-mini mall andWal-Mart used to be. The last Menard's I went it was in Chicago, Ill. What do think about this store? Will it blow Meijer's and K-mart off the competitive list or retreat like Jack in the Box restaurants?
    Menard's competitors are other big-box home improvement/hardware stores like Lowe's or Home Despot.

I like 'em!

Stromberg2

Davison is the closest one, I think. They have home improvement and hardware AND groceries, it looks like.

They want to use the old Advance Logistics site [[12701 Middlebelt), just south of the old Walmart location.

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...ore-Middlebelt

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Davison is the closest one, I think. They have home improvement and hardware AND groceries, it looks like.
    There are a number of chains that don't venture much into cities. Also from Davison, I think of Pamida. Kinda like a small KMart, but nice.

Welcome, Menards! Maybe the big boys'll have to watch their prices a little more.

SteveJ Guest

I think they are going to build one around 14 mile and Van Dyke in Warren soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I think they are going to build one around 14 mile and Van Dyke in Warren soon.
    Link? Proof? Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    Menard's competitors are other big-box home improvement/hardware stores like Lowe's or Home Despot.
    Wouldnt want to compete with a Home Despot...

When is Jack-in-the-Box returning???????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    or Waffle House???

My experience has been that Menard's is usually cheaper than Lowe's or Home Depot.

Menard's jingle is at the end of this ad. Get used to it. It is somehow like the old Roy O'Brien jingle but not as good.

Menards has Made in the USA sales. Because of this alone I'd want them to crush the competition. A few times a year they run a circular that contains nothing but Made in the USA products that identifies where the product is made. I am certain the the poster BuyAmerican would approve as well!

It will compete mostly with Home Depot and Lowes but it does sell an odd assortment of stuff as well. It reminds me a lot of a chain I've seen in Toledo known as the Andersons.

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Link? Proof? Source?
    Have a friend that does business with the city of Warren. Looking around where that golf dome is on Van Dyke.

I always seem to go to Menard's when I'm visiting family in the Grand Rapids area, and my brother in Jackson loves them. I personally hate the feel of a Home Depot.

Menards is a great store, they have great prices and carry a different variety of items then other big box stores. It's strange to go there for paint, get a box of Pop Tarts for $1.50, a greeting card, some BBQ sauce, motor oil and some t-shirts. They also have a regular contest to win a card, and their BIG credit card gives a discount at Speedway.

Check out their website and look at their ads - can't wait til they open!

Canadians will love it too, not far from the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    NEVER! Jack in the Box retreated back to the midwest and the western states since 1980. Far as the Jack in the Box goes is at St. Louis, Missouri.

There used to be a Jack in the Box Resturants [[ that I know) was at Woodward Ave. near Temple next to small White Castle Restaurant and the Old Donovan-Motown Annex building once stood.

One on Plymouth Rd. and Evergreen Rd.

One on Ford Rd and Farmington Rd. in Westland

One on Michigan Ave and Outer Drive in Dearborn.
    Last edited by Danny; February-06-12 at 09:58 AM.

NEVER! Jack in the Box retreated back to the midwest and the western states since 1980. Far as the Jack in the Box goes is at St. Louis, Missouri.

There used to be a Jack in the Box Resturants [[ that I know) was at Woodward Ave. near Temple next to small White Castle Restaurant and the Old Donovan-Motown Annex building once stood.

One on Plymouth Rd. and Evergreen Rd.

One on Ford Rd and Farmington Rd. in Westland

One on Michigan Ave and Outer Drive in Dearborn.
    There was also a Jack in the Box on Mack and Chene [[vacant lot now, you guessed it).

Quote Originally Posted by [I
    One on Ford Rd and Farmington Rd. in Westland.[/I]
    Farmington Rd. ends at Outer Drive heading south.
    Did you mean Venoy?

There was one at 13 mile and Coolidge where White Castle is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Farmington Rd. ends at Outer Drive heading south.
    Did you mean Venoy?
    No The Jack in the Box restuarant on Ford Rd and Farmington Rd. was closed after 1980. It was replaced by Sliverman's Restaurant. After Slivernman's closed it was replaced by a local Arab owned cell phone shop.

The Jack in the Box on Woodward Ave near Downtown Detroit next to a small White Castle Restaurant was close after 1980. It building was vacant until it was demolished alond with old White Castle and the Donovon-Motown building annex. Now it a Pre-South Bronx like vacant [[ parking lot) with two tall abandoned Salvation Army Harbor Light building and Hotel Eddystone still standing.

The Jack in the Box on Plymouth Rd and Evergreen Rd. is now a Coney Island.

The Jack in the Box on Michigan Ave and Outer Drive St. is now Tubby's sub shop.
    Last edited by Danny; February-06-12 at 02:44 PM.

Farmington Road picks up again south of Edward Hines Park.

I shop at Menards near Traverse City when I'm up there. It is basically a home repair store with a small assortment of food items, just a few shelves. I like the selection of home improvement items and tools.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast