Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Red Wings to practice at Clark Park

Neat idea.

Am I the only one who finds it funny when basically anything under the sun is advertised as in "Downtown Detroit?" Since when is a park in the heart of Southwest even close to Campus Martius?

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it funny when basically anything under the sun is advertised as in "Downtown Detroit?" Since when is a park in the heart of Southwest even close to Campus Martius?
    I agree. I have also noticed this and I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I agree. I have also noticed this and I don't understand.
    Because you can see the Downtown skyline from Clark Pk.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Never said "downtown" Detroit. SW IS in DETROIT for those of you who don't have a CLUE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Never said "downtown" Detroit. SW IS in DETROIT for those of you who don't have a CLUE!!
    Umm....the advertisement says it's at Clark Park in Downtown. I was commenting on how Southwest Detroit is not Downtown Detroit at all. What in the heck are you talking about?

Probably because to "suburbia"...it is "downtown"

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Because you can see the Downtown skyline from Clark Pk.
    I can see downtown from 10 Mile and Gratiot too. That doesn't mean I am downtown.

To get back to on topic; Red Wings, by the way; is that a new chicken and ribs place?

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    The article HEADING... not text... but HEADING.... says...
    "CLARK PARK - DOWNTOWN DETROIT - GATES OPEN AT 11 A.M."

Don't you feel a little foolish for that group Ad Hominem right about now??

I can see downtown from 10 Mile and Gratiot too. That doesn't mean I am downtown.

Yes it does.

This is a wonderful idea designed to raise funds and support youth hockey at Clark Park. Feb 18 at noon, bring 2 bucks, some gently used hockey gear or canned goods and you get to watch the Winged Wheels practice. What's not to like?

Occurrence Guest

What's not to like is the fact that they are saying this event is downtown when it's not. Why would they put out blatant false advertising?

What's not to like is the fact that they are saying this event is downtown when it's not. Why would they put out blatant false advertising?
    Because if you put SW Detroit in the ad, you would get half the turnout. Downtown is now seen as safe and many people would take their families Downtown who would not regularly take them to SW Detroit. It's the same reason there is a north Corktown, or why all of the sudden everything is in Midtown. Marketing my friend, marketing.

False advertising? Man, you people really need a hobby if you are upset about an arbitrary geographic designation being used on an Internet flyer. It would only be false advertising if The Bay City Rollers showed up instead of the Red Wings.

Jeeze, guys, really it's a fundraiser for Clark Park's sport programs, not a underhanded scheme to steal the City of its identity. I see a few of the same folk who complain about the condition of this and that around here but along comes a group who has fought to keep a place open and clean and you folks still find something to complain about.

What a silly bunch of whiners. Go find a cause worth fighting for. Something that befits your level of commitment. Maybe more foam on your latte; mandating gearless bikes, ...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    False advertising? Man, you people really need a hobby if you are upset about an arbitrary geographic designation being used on an Internet flyer. It would only be false advertising if The Bay City Rollers showed up instead of the Red Wings.

Jeeze, guys, really it's a fundraiser for Clark Park's sport programs, not a underhanded scheme to steal the City of its identity. I see a few of the same folk who complain about the condition of this and that around here but along comes a group who has fought to keep a place open and clean and you folks still find something to complain about.

What a silly bunch of whiners. Go find a cause worth fighting for. Something that befits your level of commitment. Maybe more foam on your latte; mandating gearless bikes, ...

Bring back the deaf penalty.

How awesome! This site is full of bitchers.

If you click on the more info tab at the link it will take you to the page I've linked below. This page has a map and directions to Clark Park. How they got Downtown in the heading is beyond me, maybe just a mistake. This is a great event and there is also an open skate after the practice.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=77449

It is less than 3 miles from Fort & Clark St. to Woodward Ave. Crowds of people watch the Fireworks show in June from Clark Park. To the outside world I would imagine that Clark Park seems to be, pretty much, "downtown."

Come on people! This is getting nuts. Everything is different based upon one's point of view. If you live at Woodward and Larned this may NOT be "downtown" to you...but if you live at Woodward and Square Lake Road this just might qualify. Let's keep on track and worry about the meat and potatoes, and not what kind of plate everything is on.

I'm definitely going to check it out - but don't you think it will reach capacity [[only 2,000 people) very quickly?

Hopefully, lots of spin off business for Mexicantown before/after...

Occurrence Guest

I always figured "downtown" was designated as the central business district. Clark Park isn't even close to downtown, so why would they say it is on the ad? Maybe they should have said "near downtown" or "outside of downtown."

When will it end? Geez....

Stromberg2

Great idea. I'll be there.

As far as the SW/Downtown thing... it's not that big of a deal. Be happy it's in Detroit, and not Troy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast