Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Still bummed that I couldn't make it on Saturday. Glad they had a good turn out. I really hope that it can be opened back up!
    -DVD

Kathleen.... your Night Train link showed the aquarium at some point in the past when there was a skylight over the central dome of the aquarium that lit up the interior.

Although the barrel vaulted ceiling is amazingly made of Pewabic tiles, it needs something like the return of that skylight to break up that flat monochromatic ceiling.

My favorite part of the Belle Isle Aquarium by far is the Beaux Arts entrance archway. When they built it in 1904, that entrance way must have been a big part of the building expense. I bet a power wash would work wonders....

Actually that is incorrect. The tile is not pewabic, it's made out of a green glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_man View Post
    Actually that is incorrect. The tile is not pewabic, it's made out of a green glass.
    I was always told it was Pewabic... no wonder I found it less appealing... But they do need to re-insert that small skylight if possible. The place is almost claustrophobic without it.

By the way... is there any Pewabic in the building?

I have 20 photos of the Aquarium on my flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7197814...7629222349895/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I have 20 photos of the Aquarium on my flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7197814...7629222349895/
    Thanks.... did they always have that octogonal skylight, or did I just not notice it before?? [[Or maybe light didn't penetrate it?)

I believe that the skylights were purposely blocked out because the sunlight was causing excessive algae growth in the tanks. And the octagonal one has always been there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2