Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I don't have a problem with the screen, it's the faux crown on top of it and the light poles surrounding it that seems a little tacky to me.
    Agree. Think the screen is pretty sweet but that crown is incredibly tacky in my eyes.

As much as I think the Tiger statues are a bit tacky, my nephews love them, as well as the merry go round and all that crap. It's there for kids and casual fans to walk by and go "oh that's kinda neat." It's not gonna detract from me watching a game. Because, lets be honest, what are we thinking about in the 3rd inning; the tiger statues out front, or why the hell did I just spend $8.50 on a single beer

Sometimes the tiger statues may be a helpful break from watching players scratching their balls and spitting tobacco juice.

Somehow I doubt in 40 years people are going to look back at those gaudy statues and think about how amazing they were. If I had to bet, I would say it would fall into the "what were they thinking" category.

Check out Mr. Artsy-Fartsy here.
    I know you think you're just having a civilized conversation repeatedly calling the tiger statues gaudy and tacky, but if you're not trying to offend you're doing it pretty ham-handedly.
    That means I think you're awkward and oafish.
    I bet you drive a friggin Toyota.
    I'm surprised you agree Lowell.
    Last edited by MrJones; February-02-12 at 02:19 AM.

I don't know Occurrence..I kinda like the tigers at the top of the scoreboard. Especially when their eyes light up green when we score. But, that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Somehow I doubt in 40 years people are going to look back at those gaudy statues and think about how amazing they were. If I had to bet, I would say it would fall into the "what were they thinking" category.
    And the endless stream of people out front taking pictures of them will be frantically deleting them from their hard drives...

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    The Tigers have been very hush hush on it, I guess they want an opening day suprise.
    It will probably end up being something like KC put in which had modern video capablity.
    Attachment 11909
    I seriously did a double-take, I thought this was photo-shopped in. Ugliest thing, ever.

The world has always had its' share of iconoclasm.... and likely always will...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm

The largest statues of any movie palace in the country were the horse drawn chariots of the former Michigan Theatre... that is until someone thought they were worthless examples of art...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I hope I am not leaving the impression that I would like to see any of the kitsch adorning the Tiger ballpark removed. I certainly wouldn't. I may find it hilarious but the general public likes it, particularly the giant tiger at the gate. And that alone gives them credibility in my book.

I think it was designed more for entertainment than 'fist against the forehead' art abd take it for what is -- Vegas/Disneyworld glitter. And how does it compare to those standards? Pretty good I think. Let's not forget the Ferris wheel and merry-go-round that help complete the picture. There's more to baseball than just baseball nowadays.

My only real objections are unrelated to those appointments. I do object advertising on the walls of the playing area. They become visual distractions to the players and the game. Anything, anywhere else, go for it.

The Tiger Scorboard will be fix in time before opening day.

Lowell... had they painted those large cement tigers... now that would have been kitsch for sure...

But even things that we might find garish today were not considered so during times gone by. For example many Victorian/Queen Anne homes with "gingerbread" were painted colors that we would not feel comfortable with today.

Even the great Cathedrals of Europe.... we look at them as works of art in their monochromatic stone colors... but in the middle ages many of these were painted inside and out with polychrome hues. As beautiful as the stained glass of the cathedrals of Chartres, Canterbury and York are today.... imagine once when the statuary were also painted bright colors.

The great imperial cathedrals of the German Rhineland [[Speyer, Worms, Mainz) were once painted red on the inside. Today we would bristle [[no pun intended) at the bright colors, but back then red was the colors of the German Emperors, and they proudly displayed it.

I saw the two tiger's from the scoreboard being hauled down Woodward this morning. Not sure where they were headed.

Being a fan of the late Montreal Expos, I can tell you all that we would gladly take your Comerica Park WITH the tigers and move it all to Montreal if we got our team back. As for the Tiger statues, my kids love them and so do I. I can't figure out what the problem is with them. Walking up to the stadium and seeing the tigers makes my day.

Speaking of tacky... the beautiful marble greek statues we all know were originally painted.

Mr. Illitch, the general public that cares little about baseball loves the statues, merry-go-round & ferris wheel. Isn't it about time a roller coaster, 50ft tiger statues and a new parking lot show up at Comerica Park? People do love a good parking lot... especially when there had been a historic building on the site, you know!

Occurrence Guest

And remember, people might love these parking lots and find them to be works of art in 40 years. I also hope they build a roller coaster. The real reason to go to a baseball game is to ride a carnival ride!

Comerica Park is simply the Heidelberg Project of major league baseball.

Apparently not too many of you have ever been to Graceland or Las Vegas.... America's centers of culture...

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I hope this renovation calls for the removal of those dumb tiger figures on top of that scoreboard. They look extremely tacky. We know they are the Detroit Tigers, we don't need cheesy looking statues to represent that.
    If they do remove those tigers I hope they auction them. I think they are pretty neat looking myself.

The real reason to go to a baseball game is to ride a carnival ride!
    my daughter started going to Tigers games with me a couple of years ago when she was 9. she LOVES carnival rides and when i asked her if she you like to ride the ferris wheel before the game started she looked at me as if i was smoking some serious dope and asked if i was kidding. she said, "i thought we were here to watch Mr. Verlander not play around"

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The world has always had its' share of iconoclasm.... and likely always will...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm

The largest statues of any movie palace in the country were the horse drawn chariots of the former Michigan Theatre... that is until someone thought they were worthless examples of art...
    That is HORRIBLE! Why one earth do some people in Detroit like to destroy and vandalize beautiful works of art like that? Why not auction those pieces off to help pay for debts in the city or something at the very least. While I don't like the idea of selling off Detroits beautiful works of art at least they would be placed in the care of those who can take care of them until the city gets back on its feet again and can possibly buy them back instead of leaving them to the hands of vandals and criminals.

Update February 9, the board is entirely bare and the tigers have been removed from the top. For perspective this time look just to the left of the flag pole on the third tier from the bottom and you can see a workman in a red shirt leaning forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    And now you know why 'Kitsch' is a German word. LOL.

[What the tourists were really thinking] "Getchen and Hans, let me get your picture next to the big Tiger. No one back home will believe anything this hideous would be created as a centerpiece."
    LULZ

Sort of like the Japanese tour buses at Bronners...

I'm going to guess the two Tiger statues are just being repainted and will be placed back up on the board once the new screen[[s) are installed. The one thing I'm not looking forward to with this change is having to see that obnoxious Lady Jane's Haircut guy screaming in his commercials on a screen 10x's larger.

I forgot what the old one looked like so here's a shot from 2002 & 2003:
    Name:  ComerciaParkJuly_23_2002_07enh.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  46.6 KB
    Name:  BrushCom2003_034forum.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  53.1 KB
    Last edited by EZZ; February-10-12 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added a pic

sneek peek
    Name:  NEW.JPG
Views: 1115
Size:  50.1 KB