Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

March 15. The Olde English D is shining. Workmen in the upper tiers continue completion and projection testing continue.

Who wants to guess where there this headed? Found here.

Name:  tiger.jpg
Views: 2857
Size:  35.2 KB

The surrounding boards, are those fixed ads illuminated with TL tubes?

Wow! I knew those Tiggers were big but seeing them on that flatbed really puts it in perspective.

I wonder if that section that reads "Comerica Park" is the same one that used to be on the board. It always struck me as odd that the largest sign in the stadium was on the "GM fountain". I mean, Comerica did buy naming rights to the place afterall.

Does anyone know if the old-style analog clock is going back up? It doesn't look like there's going to be a spot for it now.

I'm getting the feeling this board's gonna be a hot mess once the ads are put up...

March 16. The tigers return above the scoreboard. Screen operators project the workmen place the second tiger in position. [Great pic Thredmission!]

Never realized how big those tigers were until you see the worker next to one.
    I heard once that when we hit homer the tigers eyes light up. I always forget to look when I am their.

For perspective:

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  40.0 KB

I once heard that the whole scoreboard is roughly the size of the face of the Fox theater. After seeing those Tiger statues at ground level. i can believe it.

The scoreboard is now about 90% complete. The surrounding ads have been completed and the LED screen is now functional.

Quote Originally Posted by bugs1739 View Post
    The scoreboard is now about 90% complete. The surrounding ads have been completed and the LED screen is now functional.
    The "i" in "Tigers" is now up.

any chance someone can get an update pic for all of us out-of-towners?

when i was in town for the CCHA Tournament [[St Patty's Day) all of theads were on the board, save for the the pepsi and aquafina ones below everything else.

They were installing the HUGE "TIGERS" letter today, they're LED!!! similar to the changing-colored rings @ GM.

March 27 - giant LED Tigers name is being mounted and tested.

Looks like times up for the clock.....

Stromberg2

Default Wireless Tower

Looks like there's a new cell tower in centerfield, to the right field side of the fountain. Seems odd that they'd put something up like that, as it's so visible from the entire ballpark. Anyone know anything about this?

I was there on Wednesday picking up some group sales tickets. My sales rep took me into the stands behind homeplate to see the scoreboard. It is massive. It's not a bad massive, but a good massive because it's so huge & cool. You definitely get a different perspective seeing it from inside the ballpark than from the street or the windows of office buildings in the area. Gthomas is right the TIGERS letters do light up with different colors. That looks cool too. Sadly though, my sales rep indicated they won't be putting the old analog clock out.

Another thing my sales rep showed me was that they ditched all the big, old televisions that were around the park. They were replaced with new flat panel televisions. These have a pretty sharp picture. This is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Basically, the panels in the "TIGERS" lettering will change color indeed, along with video and pink for breast cancer awareness. Pretty cool..

Quote Originally Posted by Tigersfan View Post
    Looks like there's a new cell tower in centerfield, to the right field side of the fountain. Seems odd that they'd put something up like that, as it's so visible from the entire ballpark. Anyone know anything about this?
    They need something. I'm about 5 blocks away, and anytime there's an event at the CoPa or Ford Field, I have a hell of time making a cell phone call.

April 2 - giant LED Tigers are completed. Workmen inspect the scoreboard.

Compare with last year's version.

I had this moment when I was downtown on the Grand Circus Park platform of the People Mover and I saw the screen all lit up for a test. I thought about the old ballpark, how contained you felt, how you looked down at the action, how you felt you could drop a Cracker Jack on their heads. And then I thought about the new park, where you're often so far away...

The idea of thousands of metro Detroiters driving miles and miles to sit in a ballpark and, essentially, watch television may be the most perfect metaphor for the region yet.

Old clock is next to the Moose Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

The idea of thousands of metro Detroiters driving miles and miles to sit in a ballpark and, essentially, watch television may be the most perfect metaphor for the region yet.
    Sounds like the last time I saw the Rolling Stones at the Silverdome...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast