Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I am honestly not surprised. This reeked of shoddy, cheap construction from the start, and by the looks of the building and the way it was hurriedly assembled, burst pipes are the least of its problems. How did Sue Mosey let this one slip by? This location is ideal for an inviting strip of streetside retail to service the school, not a shoddy apartment building with garage doors in front of the sidewalk. And the building's garish rear ruins the sight lines of Old Main across Wayne State's new "Front Yard" [[another poorly executed wholesale replacement of decent streetside retail). Combine this with that horrible looking Subway all alone by itself in a giant field of nothing, right by what should be one of Detroit's most active streetcorners, and you can't help but say: what were they thinking?????

I feel bad for the tenants. Maybe they'll knock the building down. Normally, in Detroit, that's not a good thing. But this is one I wouldn't mind seeing brought down as quickly as it was built...
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; January-30-12 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I am honestly not surprised. This reeked of shoddy, cheap construction from the start, and by the looks of the building and the way it was hurriedly assembled, burst pipes are the least of its problems. How did Sue Mosey let this one slip by? This location is ideal for an inviting strip of streetside retail to service the school, not a shoddy apartment building with garage doors in front of the sidewalk. And the building's garish rear ruins the sight lines of Old Main across Wayne State's new "Front Yard" [[another poorly executed wholesale replacement of decent streetside retail). Combine this with that horrible looking Subway all alone by itself in a giant field of nothing, right by what should be one of Detroit's most active streetcorners, and you can't help but say: what were they thinking?????

I feel bad for the tenants. Maybe they'll knock the building down. Normally, in Detroit, that's not a good thing. But this is one I wouldn't mind seeing brought down as quickly as it was built...
    Yes it does have a "blind garage" on Cass ave, but most of it facing Cass is ground floor retail. I think they would have utilized the alley for garage access but again that proves too complicated to non-urban drivers just like parallel parking. I think that front yard is temporary till they can buy out the Subway, then they are going to "twin" the Maccabees.

Wayne State has got to be one of the most incompetent organizations in the country. What a waste of space. First they take super valuable land and turn it into a worthless "green space" that no one will ever use and looks terrible because they couldn't buy out the Subway owner's lease. And then they take more valuable land and give the contract to some cookie cutter campus housing company that builds that ugly ass building and on top of that it's shoddy as fuck.

Sue didn't let this slip by. The owners of the properties adjacent to the apartment building vehemently disapproved of the investors plans to build such a desecration to the historic area of Detroit. Nevertheless, the investor & builder went in front of the Detroit Building & Safety Engineering Department for permits to build. Sue Mosey was one of the speakers who went up to the podium to speak in favor of this plan, stating she, as well as Wayne State University, was in favor of it. The B & S E Department denied their request because of the multitudes of serious variances, [[at least 7), they would have to allow. The investor and builders didn't stop. They then went to the Detroit Variance Board and pleaded their case asking for approval of these variances for their project. Again, Susan Mosey was right in front of the microphone representing the University Cultural Center Association and speaking on behalf of Wayne State University in huge support of the project. [[You can read the transcripts yourself Case # 57-10) Obviously, there were many people who planned on making big bucks on this project. I just wonder whose pocket Ms. Mosey is in?

Quote Originally Posted by sophia View Post
    Sue didn't let this slip by. The owners of the properties adjacent to the apartment building vehemently disapproved of the investors plans to build such a desecration to the historic area of Detroit. Nevertheless, the investor & builder went in front of the Detroit Building & Safety Engineering Department for permits to build. Sue Mosey was one of the speakers who went up to the podium to speak in favor of this plan, stating she, as well as Wayne State University, was in favor of it. The B & S E Department denied their request because of the multitudes of serious variances, [[at least 7), they would have to allow. The investor and builders didn't stop. They then went to the Detroit Variance Board and pleaded their case asking for approval of these variances for their project. Again, Susan Mosey was right in front of the microphone representing the University Cultural Center Association and speaking on behalf of Wayne State University in huge support of the project. [[You can read the transcripts yourself Case # 57-10) Obviously, there were many people who planned on making big bucks on this project. I just wonder whose pocket Ms. Mosey is in?

Sue Mosey is a graduate of WSU but as far as I can tell she is not employed at the University [[I am faculty at WSU). Therefore she is in no position to speak for WSU as you claim.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Sue Mosey is a graduate of WSU but as far as I can tell she is not employed at the University [[I am faculty at WSU). Therefore she is in no position to speak for WSU as you claim.
    But that isn't what the poster claimed. The poster claimed that Mosey spoke in support of Wayne's policy, which anyone can do.

It's quite common and perfectly legitimate for a public figure to comment on a major land use decision. Granted, I have no idea what went on in these meetings.

Knock down that fucker and put a Roscoe's Arcade and an internet cafe there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    But that isn't what the poster claimed. The poster claimed that Mosey spoke in support of Wayne's policy, which anyone can do.

It's quite common and perfectly legitimate for a public figure to comment on a major land use decision. Granted, I have no idea what went on in these meetings.
    But that is what the poster claimed:

"Again, Susan Mosey was right in front of the microphone representing the University Cultural Center Association and speaking on behalf of Wayne State University in huge support of the project. "

I couldn't believe how quickly they threw that thing up. Typical WSU detachment. And how about that laughable facade they threw over the old chemistry building to make it look like something less soviet? These two buildings depict a depressing truth about the WSU bureaucracy.

I think the consensus on that subway is that WSU is waiting/hoping to force them out so that they can then develop the whole lot and not have to build around it...

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    I couldn't believe how quickly they threw that thing up. Typical WSU detachment. And how about that laughable facade they threw over the old chemistry building to make it look like something less soviet? These two buildings depict a depressing truth about the WSU bureaucracy.

I think the consensus on that subway is that WSU is waiting/hoping to force them out so that they can then develop the whole lot and not have to build around it...
    I guess you haven't been in the Chemistry building, because that is way more than a facade. Chemistry is one of the top departments at WSU and is nationally recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I guess you haven't been in the Chemistry building, because that is way more than a facade. Chemistry is one of the top departments at WSU and is nationally recognized.
    Also the Union was not built by WSU