Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ravine Guest

Well, yeah. Unless she has changed. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
    I believe Danny coined the phrase "skinny jean white kids" on this forum years ago. He spotted that trend before it even had the name "hipster."
    man, what a hipster . regardless why does everyone seem to hate them so much? if nice people with money want to live hear then i say let them.

We don't hate them. Just like to poke fun in a good natured way.

I believe Danny coined the phrase "skinny jean white kids" on this forum years ago. He spotted that trend before it even had the name "hipster."
    I'll coin a new phrase, "relaxed fit jean white men". You can spot them at McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Then in the 70s they had spring metal bands that would secure all that excess bellbottom material for the same reason.

I had a pair of jeans with more [[humorous/political) patches than original material. <sigh> I miss those jeans. They were a real work of art.

I wish they had shirts that would secure all that excess belly button material. The hipsters could call them «fuzz shirts». I love it when fashion is invented out of necessity...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Then in the 70s they had spring metal bands that would secure all that excess bellbottom material for the same reason.

I had a pair of jeans with more [[humorous/political) patches than original material. <sigh> I miss those jeans. They were a real work of art.

I wish they had shirts that would secure all that excess belly button material. The hipsters could call them «fuzz shirts». I love it when fashion is invented out of necessity...

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'll coin a new phrase, "relaxed fit jean white men". You can spot them at McDonalds.
    Ha! That's a good one. Why don't homely folks like that get a label?

Supposedly there are hipsters in hamtramck, woodbridge, corktown, and ferndale, according to my hipster-radar.

Hipsters are taking over. Frankly, I think the guys look homosexual in their over-tightened clothing...and some of the women should not be squeezing themselves into that shit. People who think they are pioneering shit piss me off.

hahaha baby boomers!

The hipsters died along with the financial markets in late 2007. take notice.

I'm 26. I live in Detroit. I'm in a band. I drink cheap beer, and pay cheap rent. The suburban lifestyle does not appeal to this sensibility, hence the influx of "hipsters." It's easy to understand. People of any shared interest tend to congregate, so it's no surprise you can name a list of bars or neighborhoods swarming w/ them. That said, I don't take the stereotype too seriously, although I find it amusing when the folks crying "hipster" feel immune to any label or critique, themselves. It's a matter of self-awareness all around. Some got it, some don't.
    Last edited by partystore; January-29-12 at 02:05 PM.

I notice that the person that started this thread "modusvendi" lives in San Francisco according to the profile. You can find your own "hipster" in SF - try the Painted Bird....they shop there, I hear. Why do Detroit "hipsters" mean so much to someone that doesn't live here....it's kind of like Al Sharpton and Jesse jackson showing up....they don't live here either...If Detroit is that interesting to soooooooooooooooo many people - MOVE HERE...but don't knock us

I'm not knocking anyone or Detroit for that matter. I live in the most hipster neighborhood in San Francisco. It's so uber-hipster here that we all make fun of it somewhat, but at the same time I'll admit that hipsters bring an air of creativity and dynamism to a neighborhood. The reasons hipsters live in San francisco are obvious- it's a hipster mecca. Detroit is a very different city an thats why I'm wondering about the hipster experience there and why the choose to lie in detroit. That, and because I'm interested to know if hipsters could help revitalize Detroit. They certainly have done so in the neighborhood I live in [[the mission) and I hope that's the same in Detroit.

Disclosure: I don't wear skinny jeans or have ironic facial hair, but I do listen to enough indie rock and have interesting enough glasses to make hipsters kindred spirits

Hey Modus - you slipped. Check the body of the paragraph above - you say "wondering about the hipster experience there and why the CHOOSE TO LIE" enough said. So, you have glasses and listen to indie rock.....Skinny jeans and facial hair don't make a hipster.....that's a trend

Ravine Guest

This is getting good.
    Indulge the over-ripe Hippie... what does "make a Hipster?"

I admit to being an over-ripe Hippie. According to some [[read previous posts) all you need are glasses, skinny jeans and ironic facial hair.......damn...I'm post menopausal - female and I have all 3 [[hehehe)...so....does that mean I am no longer an old hippie but instead have morphed into a "hipster"...does this mean, except for the hair, the characters on Big Bang Theory are hipsters?????

The hipster is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Being a hipster is all about not conforming, but in exactly the same way skinny jeans and ironic facial hair are two common elements if that. I even see handle bar mustaches but I'm not sure how widespread that one is. If hipsters want to move into Detroit and bring a little life to a city hemmoraging its population, that's a good thing. Are there really that many in Detroit or is that something that tends to be overplayed in an effort to rebut the stereotype that all is rust and decay?

Geekiness is the new hip, or is that the other way around. I give up.

Hipsters overflowing in Detroit is like shortage of parking or long lines at Detroit restaurants -- the kind of 'problems' that we want.

I couldn't agree more Lowell. Let's bring in hipsters by the truckload!

Quote Originally Posted by Modusvivendi View Post
    Are there really that many in Detroit or is that something that tends to be overplayed in an effort to rebut the stereotype that all is rust and decay?
    They're there. But I wouldn't say to the point that you could point to one neighborhood and say they outnumber any other group of people. But you can see them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    I couldn't agree more Lowell. Let's bring in hipsters by the truckload!

Someone needs to have a big marketing campaign in Brooklyn and SF to tell hipsters to get to Detroit before it becomes cool.

Uh...the term "hipster" has been used in Vernacular American English since at least the 1940's

Also, as an aside to this entire thread, who gives a shit? Let's create MORE division in one of the most racially / economically / morally segregated areas in the United States. It always amuses me how people are so *appalled* at other lifestyles. Fuck that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast