Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    That point can't be overestimated. In poor inner cities like Detroit you have a lot of untreated mental illness. These people tend to self medicate using illegal drugs which makes the situation worse. Whats worse these folks tend to not be easy to reason with. Sociopaths, bi-polar, folks with schizophrenia symtoms etc without the family and support mechcanisms that more well off families have when dealing with the same issues.
    Sorry but thats an excuse. There is absolutely no excuse for shooting someone that has handed over her purse after you demanded. NONE. This woe is me mentality is the reason why Detroit has turned into a crime infested shithole. People need to stop defending the thugs and giving them bullshit excuses. Its not mental illness, its the ghetto thug mentality. Its the lets drive around in our impala with guns and then shoot up a house and drive off. Fucking low lives.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Sorry but thats an excuse. There is absolutely no excuse for shooting someone that has handed over her purse after you demanded. NONE. This woe is me mentality is the reason why Detroit has turned into a crime infested shithole. People need to stop defending the thugs and giving them bullshit excuses. Its not mental illness, its the ghetto thug mentality. Its the lets drive around in our impala with guns and then shoot up a house and drive off. Fucking low lives.
    I couldn't have said it better! Stop making excuses.

I say that they need to either bring back the big four or bring in the National Guard. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Oh, here's yet another person who was found murdered in her car:
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...-mercedes-benz
    Last edited by Wild; January-25-12 at 03:15 PM.

I didn't offer that as an excuse. If I had stated that you shouldn't do anything to people because of mental illness then that would have been an excuse. I gave a statement of fact that must be considered when you come up with a plan to reduce crime. Do you think there might be some connection between the ghetto thug mentality and mental illness ?

Your simplistic notions of getting the big four to ride around and bust heads, or some other method such as STRESS might make you feel good in the short run but over time as they began to trample over peoples civil rights it won't feel so good.

We can't build enough jails and lock up our problem away

We can't kill our problem away with the use of the death penalty

I gave some thoughts as to what the solutions might be. But even if I were right it would only be a piece of the puzzle because as with most problems in this society the problems are interconnected and the solutions must reflect that fact.
    Last edited by firstandten; January-25-12 at 05:34 PM.

It's not just Detroit, it's today's inner city youths all of the country. Guns or not, violence will continue to be at the forefront in urban cities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNGKISmGOw

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I didn't offer that as an excuse. If I had stated that you shouldn't do anything to people because of mental illness then that would have been an excuse. I gave a statement of fact that must be considered when you come up with a plan to reduce crime. Do you think there might be some connection between the ghetto thug mentality and mental illness ?

Your simplistic notions of getting the big four to ride around and bust heads, or some other method such as STRESS might make you feel good in the short run but over time as they began to trample over peoples civil rights it won't feel so good.

We can't build enough jails and lock up our problem away

We can't kill our problem away with the use of the death penalty

I gave some thoughts as to what the solutions might be. But even if I were right it would only be a piece of the puzzle because as with most problems in this society the problems are interconnected and the solutions must reflect that fact.
    Stop. Stop. Stop. You are full of excuses fro the criminals. You're the kind of person more worried about the criminal who shoots someone in the head to make sure the police treated him well after the arrest than the victim. Keep sweeping the problem under the rug. Lets go down to Detroit and open mental hospitals. I'm sure thats just going to solve everything. Man, you need to wake up. These thugs are worse than wild animals. They needed to be treated like shit because they are a piece of shit.

Stop. Stop. Stop. You are full of excuses fro the criminals. You're the kind of person more worried about the criminal who shoots someone in the head to make sure the police treated him well after the arrest than the victim. Keep sweeping the problem under the rug. Lets go down to Detroit and open mental hospitals. I'm sure thats just going to solve everything. Man, you need to wake up. These thugs are worse than wild animals. They needed to be treated like shit because they are a piece of shit.
    What a bunch of bullshit. Your perception is wacked out; he/she never said or implied any of what you're inferring.

So violence can cure mental illness? Doctor, what is your prescription for other ailments that have seemed to plague us for ages like breast cancer, erectile dysfunction or blindness?

During the days of STRESS and the big four you had police officiers with mind sets like the kind you just displayed. Do I need to go over the sorrid history as a result of that mind set ?

There's a difference between sweeping a problem under the rug and policies that have a good chance of violating the rights of Detroiters, hell I live in Detroit proper I know theres a problem, theres a big problem but you don't solve problems with knee jerk reactions.

I think that just about anyone who has had contact with criminals and alleged criminals at any level of the criminal justice system would agree that the majority of these people have some sort of mental illness. Do they all? No. Is it an excuse for the behavior? No. But it is a fact.

I am certainly not making excuses but we also have a sickness of the soul going on here. Where evil intent rules the countenance and is the primary motive.
    Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I think that just about anyone who has had contact with criminals and alleged criminals at any level of the criminal justice system would agree that the majority of these people have some sort of mental illness. Do they all? No. Is it an excuse for the behavior? No. But it is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    or bring in the National Guard.
    or the National Guard.

Two words......

Kent State.

"Any chance that some of these shootings were gang initiations?"

LMAO....you're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I am certainly not making excuses but we also have a sickness of the soul going on here. Where evil intent rules the countenance and is the primary motive.
    Clearly, both in Detroit and elsewhere, there are a lot of people who for whatever reason are not learning certain important values, However, that is happening in a lot of places and not all those places have crime as bad as that in Detroit. Trying to analyze things at the most basic level, I think the crime level in Detroit is so bad because

[[1) the level of policing is entirely inadequate, leaving people with little deterrence against committing violent crimes; and

[[2) by now, most of the people with the greatest resources [[financial, family, etc.) have left the city, leaving behind those with the least resources and most difficult problems.

I'm familiar with a lot of them. Let's just say that I wouldn't feel safe stopping at a light in any of them.

The greater problem is that these things are also happening in decent quiet areas as well. For example Rosedale Park has had this problem for a while. In December an elderly man and his terminally ill wife were robbed and the husband murdered in their driveway.
    Did that particular homicide occur in Rosedale Park? Seems like it was up near 6 Mile Road and north of Rosedale Park. Minor point probably.

Clearly, both in Detroit and elsewhere, there are a lot of people who for whatever reason are not learning certain important values, However, that is happening in a lot of places and not all those places have crime as bad as that in Detroit. Trying to analyze things at the most basic level, I think the crime level in Detroit is so bad because

[[1) the level of policing is entirely inadequate, leaving people with little deterrence against committing violent crimes; and

[[2) by now, most of the people with the greatest resources [[financial, family, etc.) have left the city, leaving behind those with the least resources and most difficult problems.
    What you say is true. I would like to discuss your point 1

What is the function of police in todays society ?

What is the reality of the role police play in todays society ?

Two very different questions, to the first question I would think most people would say to serve and protect and to arrest criminals. We also would like to include some kind of deterrence factor as well.

The reality with budget constaints the best most police agencies can do is arrest after the fact and even then they are being overwhelmed with cases. When serious crime was relegated to the handful of areas in the city where the police could have a deterrence effect it was still hard to stop crime. Now with crime all over the city the police has an impossible job on there hands. About the best you can hope for is when you are the one in an hundred 911 calls the police can get there before the damage is done, or once the crime has been committed they can find the suspect which in this case they did.

Buy American Guest

More excuses for the crime rate and more blame on others for leaving the City. There have been poor people in every decade and I would say the majority of them didn't resort to murder because they did't have "the greatest resources". The animals that are committing these crimes don't have a conscience. shooting a young girl in the head, stabbing a robbery victim, raping a child is just part of their every day life. They don't care that they hurt the victim or the family, [[even theirs). It's all about power over someone else and the violence will never stop while they are on the streets. They are rabid dogs and need to be caged like the wild, dangerous animals they are, never to be let out to roam the streets again.

Decoys in the affected neighborhoods instead of targeting hookers and strippers.

Knothead that tries to go after someone in a driveway suddenly finds himself knee-deep in badges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2