Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GUSHI Guest

When did they close St Lads Church?

St. Lad's, Transfiguration/OL Help of Christians, and St. Louis the King merged in January to form Blessed Pope John Paul II Parish. Main office and records from all three former parishes are at the Transfiguration site. My understanding is that all three churches [[the church is the building, the parish is the institution) will be used for Mass, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Interesting.

Who is responsible for leaving all those books, beakers, computer screens and other items that could have been salvaged? I'm sure another school could have used those items.

Yeah, what a waste of money! Other institutions could have used those books and other equipments and could have helped other students rather than just dumping them as junks. Even if they’re already obsolete, I think those can be used. They just have to be resourceful, be able to recycle and be creative. ;-)

Well, I guess online schooling is really emerging this time and making its way to the top. I wonder if schools will be online, it would cost both the school and the students LESSER tuition and school fees because of NOT HAVING TO BUILD LARGE AND EXPENSIVE buildings for classrooms, etc. GREAT SAVINGS, for sure! Classes and learning happen online and so it’s very convenient. Of course, there will be pros and cons about online schooling and I’ve read them here: http://custompapers.com/writing-tuto...nline-classes/ and here http://oedb.org/library/distance-vs-...online-classes. They seem to be helpful to understand advantages and disadvantages. Also, getting undergraduate and graduate degrees is a brilliant idea. Pursuing education at a convenient, excellent yet cheaper way? Why not? I found it here at http://www.onlinecollegeclasses.com/

Too bad. What a waste of money. Why is it being demolished?

GUSHI Guest

The cancer that destroys other buildings in Detroit, the Fu Ken scrappers.

You guys have been following this story for a while.

Here's an audio update.

There's some question of whether the archdiocese had offers that they felt weren't high enough. Or did they have any offers at all? But in the end they chose to spend up to 500k to tear it down. The decision makers seem a lot like DPS regarding Cass Tech and other schools.

http://www.michigannow.org/2012/04/1...c-high-school/

The building had been pretty thoroughly scrapped by the time the AoD decided to demolish. As for whether or not it could have been better secured, I know that the archdiocese was aware that the scrapping was occurring, and tried to keep the building secure, but got little or no assistance from Detroit Police, even when the cops were told, "Hey, the scrappers are there RIGHT NOW. Scrapping IN PROGRESS. Go get 'em!"

Similar story with St. Rita--scrappers pulled the gutters off in the middle of the day. Police were called...and never showed, or showed far too late. What's the archdiocese supposed to do? Send a priest out with a baseball bat?

Detroit had a population of 1.8 million almost half were Catholic. Catholic population close to 900K.

Detroit has a population of 750K and maybe 10-15% are Catholic. Catholic population maybe 75-100K.

AOD needs about 1/10 of the churches and schools it had in the city..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2