Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 97.1 The Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Pistons have Vanilla Ice performing at half-time.
    Our "once proud" franchise has been reduced to hiring.....Vanilla Ice?
    Seriously?
    Was that Vanilla Ice? With those moves I coulda swore it was Jerebko.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/fl...&pollId=133213

Here's proof the NBA and college basketball are more popular than the NHL.

Occurrence Guest

Justin Bieber is more popular than Miles Davis. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The NBA had the highest rated regular season and playoffs in history last year.
    And millions tune in every week to watch stupid shows like American Karaoke, er, I mean Idol, but that doesn't mean it's a quality product.

The NBA is a shell of it's former glory days of the 80's and I blame Jordan for it. He forced the league to outlaw defensive play because he knew there was no way he could beat the Pistons otherwise. Now we are left with a handful of whinny, overpaid "superstars" who care only about their egos and getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    And millions tune in every week to watch stupid shows like American Karaoke, er, I mean Idol, but that doesn't mean it's a quality product.

The NBA is a shell of it's former glory days of the 80's and I blame Jordan for it. He forced the league to outlaw defensive play because he knew there was no way he could beat the Pistons otherwise. Now we are left with a handful of whinny, overpaid "superstars" who care only about their egos and getting paid.
    Just like all the other sports, And ??

Justin Bieber is more popular than Miles Davis. What's your point?
    Not in my book. Miles Davis is legendary, Bieber isn't.

Gee, all those idiots need to follow the Winnipeg Jets and the Phoenix Coyotes. Much more exciting than the NBA, I guess...

Now we are left with a handful of whinny, overpaid "superstars" who care only about their egos and getting paid.
    You mean like Jeremy Lin? That's only the biggest story in the entire world of sports right now.

Watch SportsCenter sometime and see how much time is dedicated to the NHL vs. Jeremy Lin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Gee, all those idiots need to follow the Winnipeg Jets and the Phoenix Coyotes. Much more exciting than the NBA, I guess...
    Well, lets see, Winnipeg regained a franchise this past year, a testament to the rabid fan base. In years past, Minnesota, Colorado, and Northern California have had re-incarnations of previous teams. Besides Charlotte, what other NBA cities have felt the need to place a team where one has left? [[Hello, Seattle, St. Louis, Vancouver...)

How many of the NBA's former cities have regained a franchise once one has been lost?

You mean like Jeremy Lin? That's only the biggest story in the entire world of sports right now.

Watch SportsCenter sometime and see how much time is dedicated to the NHL vs. Jeremy Lin.[/QUOTE]

Occurrence Guest

Who is Jeremy Lin?

Who is Jeremy Lin?
    Don't act like you've never heard of him. He's been the talk of the sports world this week. I'm willing to bet you follow more sports than the NHL.

Occurrence Guest

No I haven't heard of him, and I don't really follow any sports, aside from a few Red Wings game.

Hockey is more popular on DetroitYes. In the sports forum the Wings thread currently has 23 replies and 820 views. Pistons thread 19 replies and 533 views.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Hockey is more popular on DetroitYes. In the sports forum the Wings thread currently has 23 replies and 820 views. Pistons thread 19 replies and 533 views.
    I guess it would be with the Wings trying to tie the record for consecutive home wins. The Pistons are bad, everyone knows that. Any other city but Detroit, Hockey comes in last place.

Occurrence Guest

Red Wings aren't first here either. I tried again to tune into 97.1 to listen to see if the Wings could tie this record, but was stuck with another meaningless Pistons game. The AM signal the Red Wings got bumped to is unlistenable. Once again, great treatment for one of the best franchises in all of sports...

Red Wings aren't first here either. I tried again to tune into 97.1 to listen to see if the Wings could tie this record, but was stuck with another meaningless Pistons game. The AM signal the Red Wings got bumped to is unlistenable. Once again, great treatment for one of the best franchises in all of sports...
    I'm pretty sure the Wings are on another FM station. As good of a franchise as they are, I highly doubt they would be just subject to just AM.

I think the Pistons are getting a bad rap in all of this. Its looks like the Wings get bumped to the AM station if they conflict with the Lions and Tigers as well.

This is highly unlikely but what would happen on an Sunday October night and the Tigers, Pistons and Lions were all playing at the same time as the Red Wings.

If this is the case then that would be proof positive that the Wings are number 4 in a 4 sport town.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Wings are on another FM station. As good of a franchise as they are, I highly doubt they would be just subject to just AM.
    Well, you would think. In 2012 it's hard to believe the Red Wings are bumped to an AM station that barley anyone can listen too. At least when they were on 760 it was semi listenable. With all the empty FM dials, 97.1 could use one of them for their sports broadcasts when schedules conflict. I don't know why they keep trying to sell this "Hockeytown" slogan crap when everyone here knows this isn't Hockeytown. This would never happen in Vancouver or Montreal.

Well, you would think. In 2012 it's hard to believe the Red Wings are bumped to an AM station that barley anyone can listen too. At least when they were on 760 it was semi listenable. With all the empty FM dials, 97.1 could use one of them for their sports broadcasts when schedules conflict. I don't know why they keep trying to sell this "Hockeytown" slogan crap when everyone here knows this isn't Hockeytown. This would never happen in Vancouver or Montreal.

It's true, the Wings get bumped to 1280am or something like that. It's a slap in the face to an organization that has continued to contribute and excel for the past 20 years. Bumping them to the Non-HD channel is even worse.

Come playoff time, these sports syncopate their schedules as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    It's true, the Wings get bumped to 1280am or something like that. It's a slap in the face to an organization that has continued to contribute and excel for the past 20 years. Bumping them to the Non-HD channel is even worse.

Come playoff time, these sports syncopate their schedules as well.
    I think it's racism, pure and simple!

I think it's racism, pure and simple!
    Gimme a break !!

Gimme a break !!
    Sarcasm, Kid.

SteveJ Guest

No rational person can defend the NBA today. The league is a pile of shit. The attendance figures are terrible. The on-court play is bad. A good percentage of the league looks like they just got released from a state prison. All the players are demanding to be traded to [[NYC, LA, Miami). To me the NBA died at around 2000 or so when all the legends from the 90's started to retire. The NBA is the only league in the country that is regressing in skill and quality. All the other leagues have improved. Not the NBA. Just the same no skill drive to the hoop and hope to get fouled.

Seriously, whoever is trying to compare Jeremy Lin to the NHL is living on another planet. Obviously, you don't know the difference between quality [[NHL) and quantity [[Espn blow center)

SteveJ Guest

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/fl...&pollId=133213

Here's proof the NBA and college basketball are more popular than the NHL.
    I don't think anybody is saying that the NBA isn't more popular in the country. In Michigan, the Red Wings were always on top of the Pistons in popularity even during the 2004 run. The reason the Red Wings are getting bumped from 97.1 is because the Pistons radio contract is much different than the Wings. The Pistons buy their air time from the station and make money by selling advertisement. While the Red Wings have sold their broadcasting rights.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3