Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Comerica Park and home cooking awaits you guys! It's nice to see the bats slowly coming to life and to see the starting pitching being shut down. And now Justin Verlander on the mound? Let's get him some run support and we could be going up 3-0 before long.

It was admittedly nice to see Phil Coke settle down the role of the closer- even if it was for just one game. He's had a pretty rough patch this year but then it seems as though ALL of the closers have at one point or another. Granted Jose Valverde's couldn't have come at a lousier time. Coke still seems like a battler and a scrapper out there; he still seems aggressive and was really attacking the Yankee batters.

It helps that the whole Yankee lineup is slumping horribly. They still can be dangerous and we better not take them lightly.
    I think if our offense can steadily score 3 or more runs per game from here on out, our pitching should keep us in it.
    We also play better at home. So you have to like how everything has played out for us so far. The Yankees were a very good team this year but injuries and slumps have taken away their swagger. With that said, if we get to the WS and have to play the Cards again, we will have to bring our "A" game and bring a little payback attitude if we want to bring home that beloved trophy.
    You gotta love this. October baseball, especially with no Wings to cheer.

Peralta is playing some great defense. Just hope Dombrowski doesn't get the bright idea he should bring him back. Sanchez has probably made another 5 million on his free agent contract with each of his last few starts. Just when you think Infante has straightened out he has another brain cramp. Lucky for him, so did the ump.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Peralta is playing some great defense. Just hope Dombrowski doesn't get the bright idea he should bring him back. Sanchez has probably made another 5 million on his free agent contract with each of his last few starts. Just when you think Infante has straightened out he has another brain cramp. Lucky for him, so did the ump.
    The Yankees can complain all they want about that play. And to give them some credit, I haven't seen too much of it. But if you don't score any runs, it won't matter how many your opponent scores, you will still lose.
    I like that we have 4 solid starting pitchers. With the cold weather, the pitchers have a slight advantage and if you are a power pitcher like Verlander or Scherzer you can really dominate.
    I thought the road to the WS would be tougher, but things have gone our way so far. We just need to get there and finish the job.

I find it interesting that there have been no injuries on this team. We've been fortunate in that way. And even IF there have been injuries, sometimes it's best not to know about it.

Sanchez pitched a jewel of a game on Sunday.

Verlander is being set up for an astounding post-season.

If... if the Bengals can come out on top tomorrow and be in a 3 to 0 series with the Yanks, we just might be looking at something special. New York just even shouldn't be playing. And... they're not.

Sorry to see Jeter go out like that, the way he did. The Baseball Gods work in mysterious ways for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    The Yankees can complain all they want about that play. And to give them some credit, I haven't seen too much of it. But if you don't score any runs, it won't matter how many your opponent scores, you will still lose.
    I like that we have 4 solid starting pitchers. With the cold weather, the pitchers have a slight advantage and if you are a power pitcher like Verlander or Scherzer you can really dominate.
    I thought the road to the WS would be tougher, but things have gone our way so far. We just need to get there and finish the job.
    I'm not one to bitch if the stars are aligning themselves for us.

I feel bad for Joe Girardi as he's got to find a way to get his team to do something, but he's short for excuses right now. His presser after the game was sad considering he took the lead on asking for instant replay now. A few years back when it served the Yankees, he was against it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...yoffs/1633563/

I feel for the Yankees in the sense that I wouldn't want to be them but then I'm also tickled pink that it's OUR Tigers are the ones kicking their asses all over the place. It's not a bad time for us to peak.

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Sorry to see Jeter go out like that, the way he did. The Baseball Gods work in mysterious ways for sure.
    And anyone that relishes the thought of Jeter going out like that is a sick bastard [[I'm not implying you ggores). Hate the Yankees because they're the opponent I get. Making it a personal attack on one of the classier players in MLB is just wrong.

Hell, I still love Curtis Granderson as a person but despise the fact that he plays for the Yankees. If he went down with an injury I'd still feel terrible but would be elated that our Tigers' chances are better to win. Cheer for our team but not at the expense of the opponent.

Stay classy, Detroit.

Helluvas performance by Verlander. Way to slam the door on the dreaded Yankees. Fine- so he didn't rack up double digit strike outs, get a complete game nor did he get that elusive perfect game- but he still did what he was supposed to do. He was masterful and was a bulldog on the mound for us.

I "love" how ESPN keeps wanting to put the focus on how the Yankees are losing but the flip side of the coin is that the Detroit pitching has been rock freakin' solid. How's about some love to the victors here for their performance?

One game away from going to the big dance. So they trot out CC Sabathia and his balloon pants but y'know what? I think Scherzer can more than hold his own against the Yankees as well. We do need to start kicking up the offense a little bit and what's more delicious than to light up their ace tonight?

Go Tigers!!!

My chickens are hatching, I'm counting, and I don't care who sez otherwise, we are going to the World Series!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    My chickens are hatching, I'm counting, and I don't care who sez otherwise, we are going to the World Series!
    Say, don't I recognize a few of you from the Lions' thread?

Let's most definitely enjoy this ride and cheer on the football team later... much later if we can help it!

Let’s break down some of the Tigers so far:

Austin Jackson- still roams the Comerica Park centerfield like he owns it. His defense has been amazing and he’s still hitting at an above .300 clip. He can also deliver the power with an occasional double or triple too.

Quintin Berry- I still like him as more of the situational player as opposed to a starter but if he can get on base, I’m not one to complain. I still wouldn’t mind seeing him push a bunt down any of the baselines from time to time to get a rise out of Teixeira or Chavez/ ARod. His speed definitely adds another dimension to this team that’s been sorely lacking.

Avisail Garcia- not a bad spot for the rookie! He’s been pinch hitting at a better than .500 clip and seems to supply a good defensive arm in left field too. Nice speed for a big guy too. No offense to Boesch but this very well could be the guy that’s gonna take your roster spot.

Miguel Cabrera- what else can you say about a guy who can spray the ball to any field with authority and can go yard at a moment’s notice? He’s not the most feared hitter in the majors without just cause. But let’s also look at how he’s been pretty solid playing a sound defensive third base too. He’s guards that line and hasn’t been afraid to toss that big body of his around to snare some shots. He’s worked hard at the position, has super soft hands, and has a smooth gun from the hot corner. He hasn’t been the defensive liability that everyone feared he’d be.

Prince Fielder- great numbers during the regular season but has cooled in these playoffs. Hitting 2 for 12, with one RBI against the Yankees and not getting the big smack in key situations hasn’t helped. If he can suddenly stir the stick and contribute, it’d be a bonus. He still scares the daylights out of opposing pitchers and still has the respect of most outfielders [[he had the A’s Coco Crisp taking steps back regardless of where the ball was hit).

Delmon Young- I didn’t think he’d light it up THIS well in the post season. For a guy to break a Hank Greenberg record, that says something. Timely backbreaking hits might even have him getting a postseason award. I’d still like to see him not swing at the first pitch, take a few pitches and maybe even draw a walk- but who am I to complain if it’s working for him now? When, not if we make the World Series- it’ll be interesting to see how Leyland is going to play without a potent DH role.

Andy Dirks- defensively sound still but hasn’t had any sort of impact on these playoffs since Game #4 against Oakland. Still has some hustle and heart in the outfield. He’s worked hard to get back into game shape since his mid-season injury. He was the number two guy in the line-up but has since dropped to the sixth spot.

Jhonny Pheralta- didn’t muster much at the plate against the Yankees in Game #3, but has been hitting at a solid clip this entire playoff series. For a guy who was hitting far below his average all season long, he’s come alive and has even provided some really stellar defensive gems, especially in the Fister game versus the A’s.

Alex Avila- he seems to keep the pitching staff on a nice calm keel and that’s sometimes overlooked. He’s been taking a beating behind the plate with foul balls, back swings, and every manner of accidental assault but manages to still slide across to field the occasional slider that breaks three feet in front of the dish. He still swings at some tight inside pitches to kill rallies but if he can reduce his strikeouts, he could still contribute offensively. Laird can give him a spell behind the plate but he’s even got less offensively.

Omar Infante- he’s stabilized the 2B position. He doesn’t have the world’s greatest range but he knows the position better than any of the platoon guys. Not much pop in his bat as of late but what do we expect from the #9 hitter. He does have above average speed on the base paths when he gets on though. Seems to handle the bat well and I didn’t mind him doing his poor man’s Placido Polanco either batting second bunting the leadoff guy on.

The starting pitching staff of Verlander, Scherzer, Fister, and Sanchez have simply been brilliant. They’ve combined for an ERA that’s microscopic. Other teams must think they’re throwing 90 MPH aspirin across the plate. They’ve confused and befuddled opposing hitters. It hasn’t hurt playing strikeout happy Oakland and a slumping Yankees line-up either.

The relievers- what hasn’t been said about Valverde already? He’s been the only blemish in this run so far. I think Leyland can still spot duty him and keep him on the shortest leash possible. Benoit still scares me and might get an extra inch of leash more than Valverde from me but any sign of faltering and it’s off to the shower for him too. I saw Girardi use an entire stable of pitchers to get through an inning just because he knew how much was on the line this time of year. Leyland needs to do the same with the relievers too. Leyland still has the luxury of going to proven short guys like Dotel and Coke [[whose been a bulldog as of late) too. Porcello hasn’t pitched hardly at all in the playoffs but could still come in there to chew up some innings- but maybe once through the opposing line-up at best. Porcello seems to lose steam the second go around with hitters but in a short series, his arm could be an extra bullet in the chamber that Leyland might resort to if needed.

The extras like Danny Worth, Don Kelly and Ramon Santiago? Stick around; They’re the oddball hunches that Leyland that spins and somehow works some magic this time of the year. Look at his play of Don Kelly in the Oakland series.

I’ve also noticed that Jim Leyland has also kept a much more conservative game now too. No more tinkering and he’s riding out the horses that got him this far. His only major gaffe has been leaving Valverde in far too long- but he’s been steady. For those of us that have watched him all year long- we almost wish that he’d stick to this game plan as opposed to some of his goofier hunches [[Rayburn being a regular at 2B, Inge in the line-up, etc.).

But right now, the Tigers have their foot firmly planted on the Yankees neck with a 3-0 lead. Let’s send them back to the Bronx to figure out their internal dilemmas, rest up and see how the Giants/ Cardinals play it out. October baseball here in Detroit is always magical.
    Last edited by smogboy; October-17-12 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Avisail Garcia- not a bad spot for the rookie! He’s been pinch hitting at a better than .500 clip and seems to supply a good defensive arm in left field too. Nice speed for a big guy too. No offense to Boesch but this very well could be the guy that’s gonna take your roster spot.
    He is your starting right fielder next year. Boesch is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    He is your starting right fielder next year. Boesch is gone.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves about Garcia. He did not have a single extra base hit in 50 AB's during the season. Dirks has little power at the other corner spot. We need to acquire a veteran outfielder during the offseason. Both Garcia, who is only 21, and Castellanos need another year in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves about Garcia. He did not have a single extra base hit in 50 AB's during the season. Dirks has little power at the other corner spot. We need to acquire a veteran outfielder during the offseason. Both Garcia, who is only 21, and Castellanos need another year in the minors.
    Want to have some fun with sheer speculation? Josh Hamilton's a free agent. Imagine if we made a play for him to occupy one of the outfield positions. He's not cheap but there are a handful of pricey players that are on the team now that will have their numbers off the books soon.

Crazy thought???

Gotta be kidding me on tonight's rain-delay and... accomodating no-game call.

What the hell?

Say, don't I recognize a few of you from the Lions' thread?

Let's most definitely enjoy this ride and cheer on the football team later... much later if we can help it!
    As much as I'm a die hard Lions fan, the Tigers are da bomb at the moment and doing something amazing. I think the boys in Honolulu Blue & Silver can forgive us for a few days.

Look at the bright side of the postponed game. In 2006 we sweep the A's and sit for a week. That layoff really hurt. Letting this drag on and keeping up with the other series is fine with me. Of course I didnt have tickets for last nights game.

Great win! [[Nothing like stating the obvious). I can't remember the last game Scherzer got hit even a little hard. He's earned a long term deal at about 15 mill a season. Still don't think we should resign Peralta but he and Young can put together a hell of a playoff edition highlight dvd to send to other teams this off-season. Young, who always appears moody, and maybe even depressed, finally seems to be enjoying himself. Maybe that arrest in NY, and subsequent counselling, helped him see how good his life is. After saying Garcia has no extra base hits it was nice to see him drive a couple to the wall.
    I gotta say Girardi has some balls to bench the league's highest paid player and Granderson, who led the team with 40 homers, in a do or die game.

Here's hoping the long layoff doesn't come back to bite us like 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Hold off on the panic button my friends. This season is far from over. The Tigers are in a division where no team seems to want to win it and are only six games back with 118 games to play. In any other division I might start to worry, but not this one.

The Tigers have quality pitching that is underperforming a little right now particularly with a shaky bullpen but history shows that pitching is the difference maker in the stretch. Valverde had a career season last year that would have won the Cy Young in some years. He can't be expected to repeat that but he will do enough.

It is rumored that Victor Martinez will be back by August and that would stiffen the line up. They have been one big hit away from winning many games this season and Martinez had the highest RISP average in the league last year. Put a surprising and speedy Quintin Berry and Austin Jackson if front of that killers' row and all things become possible.

This team is very explosive and can go on big winning spells. We saw that at the start of the season and even more importantly at the end of the last.

In the long run only injuries to 2 or more their superstars can stop them. All they have to do is hang around. My cup is still half full.
    Just had to point that out^ written in the dark days of June.

Lowell, you certainly had your crystal ball working big time !!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Lowell, you certainly had your crystal ball working big time !!
    No Victor Martinez comeback but it's nice to see the Tigers going forward. Coke's spiking of his glove after the victory is going to be a lasting image in my mind. This team is starting to peak at the right time and I hope that they can keep it going.

It's also looking like the Cardinals again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    No Victor Martinez comeback but it's nice to see the Tigers going forward. Coke's spiking of his glove after the victory is going to be a lasting image in my mind. This team is starting to peak at the right time and I hope that they can keep it going.

It's also looking like the Cardinals again.
    It's always a good time seeing our Tigers celebrating.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...7161--mlb.html

And yes Joe Girardi had some nerve benching a lot of the supposed New York super stars. But given that he had to do something... anything to spark this team, he wasn't left with much of a choice. I still felt for the poor guy after every loss though. He had to sit up at that podium with his two bottles of Gatorade and make an earnest attempt to answer the questions that were tossed his way. Some of the questions were so blatantly laden with bait [[I'll assume they were from the NY media) I'm sure it took all the patience in his body to resist lashing out. When it came down to it, Joe Girardi's team failed around him on one of the biggest stages.

But rather than sound like some of the east coast biased media, I'd rather heap some praise on the Detroit pitching. I know Delmon Young got the ALCS MVP but if there was a way to divvy up that trophy four ways, it deserved to go to each of the Detroit starters. Their performances this playoffs were utterly amazing and unheard of. A stellar 1.06 ERA and in a span of 66 strikeouts in 61 1/3 innings of baseball- and Verlander even had a "bad" game the other day when he only struck out a mere three! Scherzer was even on the way to pitching a no-hitter for a few innings!

I'm pumped up to get to the World Series now. If the Tigers can somehow keep this sort of spectacular pitching going, there isn't anyone out there that can stop us. I don't care if we win each game 1-0 but let's go get ourselves a world championship in an epic way!

Okay I am guilty of Schadenfruede. [For those who don't know, that's a German expression translating directly as 'shady joy' or joy on other's sorrow]. Growing up and through most of my adult life, the Yankees have cuffed us around year after year.

So there is some guilty pleasure and seeing the shoes on the other feet. It's now our Tigers knocking them out of the playoffs three times in row.

I had to go the New York Post to enjoy the hand-wringing.

Last night in Game 4 of the ALCS against the Tigers at Comerica Park, the last shred of baseball dignity belonging to the Yankees was stripped away via an 8-1 pounding that completed an embarrassing sweep and sent the Yankees into the offseason stunned.

“This is something that will stick in our mind for a long time,’’ said Robinson Cano, one of several hitters whose bats went quiet.

The shocking sweep will be remembered for Alex Rodriguez not being in the lineup for the final two games, the Yankees collectively not hitting and the defense hurting the starting pitching that outside of CC Sabathia’s poor outing yesterday was sensational.
    Can you hear my world's tiniest violin playing?

Okay I got that off chest. Time to focus on winning it all.

I know Delmon Young got the ALCS MVP but if there was a way to divvy up that trophy four ways, it deserved to go to each of the Detroit starters. Their performances this playoffs were utterly amazing and unheard of. A stellar 1.06 ERA and in a span of 66 strikeouts in 61 1/3 innings of baseball...
    I agree^. The starters suffocated them.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast