Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable with this signing if the AL Central wasn't so weak.
    Short of some major injuries the Tigers are going to be heavy favorites to win their division. They get into the playoffs and I like their chances having two of MLB best hitters and one of the best pitchers.

Don't get me wrong. I'll be cheering for Prince as loud as anyone. I just think it must be strange for Dombrowski trying to be a GM under Ilitch. Ilitch has wanted a World Series for several years. So why not let Dombrowski know he can spend as much as he needs or get any player he thinks will get the team to the Series as long as he runs it by him first? The Tigers could have had Adrian Beltre, [[32 HR, 105 RBI, .296), a true 3rd baseman, for 6 yrs/96 million last season. Think that would have been nice added to Cabrera and Martinez? Throw Polanco at 2nd base for chump change and then sign Roy Oswalt or Edwin Jackson as a number 5 starter. There's just so much more the Tigers could have done with less money before Martinez was injured if Ilitch would just tell Dombrowski his "real" budget and let him plan ahead over a couple of seasons instead of being sold on a whim by Boras once again.

There's nothing written in stone that both Cabrera and Fielder have to stay for the length of their contracts. Cabrera's deal looks cheap now compared to recent signings. In a couple years that's a very movable contract. Pure speculation, but I'm also wondering if Cabrera's personal problems might have played a long-term role in Fielder's deal.

As for the pizza man, it sure beats being a Milwaukee fan. We've been on that end before. I actually felt sorry for Milwaukee's GM, knowing that there wasn't a chance in hell they could sign Fielder. That's akin to us staring at a new season without Cabrera or Fielder, and that wouldn't be any fun at all.

And a friendly reminder that baseball is 90% pitching, and even though our hitters could have done better, it's why we lost the ALCS.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There's just so much more the Tigers could have done with less money before Martinez was injured if Ilitch would just tell Dombrowski his "real" budget and let him plan ahead over a couple of seasons instead of being sold on a whim by Boras once again.
    Agreed. This Fielder move seems more like it was orchestrated from the top down from Mike Ilitch as opposed to Dombrowski. Sometimes I think Mike Ilitch just looks into the vault, feels kinda thrifty and goes and gets himself something fun- in this case, an All-Star first baseman in Prince Fielder.

I remember back with the Wings pre-salary cap days, they were considered the New York Yankees of hockey. I'm wondering if Mike Ilitch is going to be the new Steinbrenner now. As a Tigers fan we should be thankful that we have an owner that's willing to do anything in his power to win but we should also be wary because ultimately it's us fans that end up paying for his ventures.

Armando Galaragga [[remember him) couldn't get a major league contract from anyone and just accepted an invitation to spring training with the Orioles. Makes me think, if Prince had been on 1st he would never have wandered that far from the bag and Armando would have had his perfect game. On the other hand, the Orioles gave a two year contract to Wilson Betemit. Desparate times for a once proud franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Armando Galaragga [[remember him) couldn't get a major league contract from anyone and just accepted an invitation to spring training with the Orioles. Makes me think, if Prince had been on 1st he would never have wandered that far from the bag and Armando would have had his perfect game.
    You're assuming that Jim Joyce still wouldn't have blown that call.

Sooo.....looks like Brandon Inge might join the 2nd base merry-go-round.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012021...detroit-tigers

I actually like Brandon Inge but this just seems like a weird move to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Sooo.....looks like Brandon Inge might join the 2nd base merry-go-round.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012021...detroit-tigers

I actually like Brandon Inge but this just seems like a weird move to me.
    They're still paying him a small fortune. Might as well try it out since he's on the payroll. Quite honestly if he wants a place on this team he doesn't have the performance level to dictate his fate anymore. If he wants to play for this team he's going to be given an opportunity.

It's nothing personal at this point. It's strictly business. Perform and be rewarded with some form of job security. Keep batting sub .200 and be prepared to get cut or sent to the Mudhens. Raburn & Santiago can easily do the job defensively and I'd be fine with any of them. Whoever is hot or performs the best deserves the gig. It's that easy of a decision if I were Leyland or Dombrowski.

As Thruster said they do owe him a bundle.
    I think the real issue here is that if he is still around he is insurance for a potential problem with Caberra at 3rd base.
    I always remember how every year we were going to replace Tom Brookins at 3rd and by June he was back to the full time 3rd baseman.
    What I cant figure out is why the 2 first basemam cant alternate between 1st/DH. At least until the following year when Martinez is back.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    As Thruster said they do owe him a bundle.
    I think the real issue here is that if he is still around he is insurance for a potential problem with Caberra at 3rd base.
    I always remember how every year we were going to replace Tom Brookins at 3rd and by June he was back to the full time 3rd baseman.
    What I cant figure out is why the 2 first basemam cant alternate between 1st/DH. At least until the following year when Martinez is back.
    Fielder was not going to sign his big deal at this stage of his career without the assurance he would not be a DH, even part-time. It all comes back to the deal making no sense, weakening an already weak defensive team further at 1st and 3rd base, with no guarantee you won't end up forcing the best player in the league to DH, having your one good position prospect also a 3rd baseman and having the league's best DH back next year. As for Inge, learning a new position at age 34 with gimpy knees and having to turn the double play, assuming he ever starts hitting again - good luck.

If Fielder wont DH then that explain's half of it. Is Caberra also insisting playing at 3rd. It seems to me Caberra could be full time DH and put Inge at 3rd.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    There's nothing written in stone that both Cabrera and Fielder have to stay for the length of their contracts. Cabrera's deal looks cheap now compared to recent signings. In a couple years that's a very movable contract. Pure speculation, but I'm also wondering if Cabrera's personal problems might have played a long-term role in Fielder's deal.

As for the pizza man, it sure beats being a Milwaukee fan. We've been on that end before. I actually felt sorry for Milwaukee's GM, knowing that there wasn't a chance in hell they could sign Fielder. That's akin to us staring at a new season without Cabrera or Fielder, and that wouldn't be any fun at all.

And a friendly reminder that baseball is 90% pitching, and even though our hitters could have done better, it's why we lost the ALCS.
    When they got Fielder the first thing I thought of was whether they know something about Cabrera relating to his past troubles. It is a very movable contract. In 5-6 years, with Fielder still in his baseball prime, his contract may be very movable as well.

I just don't get why Brandon Inge is so damn polarizing with this team. Seriously, he's not even remotely near the top of the Tigers pile for talent. He doesn't even deserve half the press he gets beyond some of his wonderful charity work he does for Mott.

I just want to re-iterate that talent should bear itself out. It's nothing personal at all. It should be open try-outs for any of the positions as far as I'm concerned. If someone's got the talent to be on this team and make a significant contribution, we'd love to have ya. The loyalty should be to the fans to produce a winner and nothing less.

I think part of the Inge thing this spring is simply there's no other story. Every other position is set. We're left with the 5th starter, 7th reliever and maybe one bench spot [[probably going to Dirks). The press must be thrilled to have the Inge story after writing all the "Verlander likes tacos!" articles.

Ravine Guest

There are plenty of stories. The local beat writers are lazy swine who take swipes at the nearest low-hanging fruit and then go fuck off somewhere.

Congrats to Drew Smyly, our 5th starter!
    Last edited by Roq; April-01-12 at 11:37 AM. Reason: I'm a dum-dum

I know its just spring training but Fielder hit a tape measure blast against the Mets in a ss game. If this is any indication this year should be a lot of fun.

I'm going to predict 97 wins.
    Short of a bunch of injuries to key players they should win the division easily.

Now I don't want to get too giddy about the first two games of the regular season considering there's 160 some more to go, but it's been mighty impressive so far. And it's been against a worthy opponent in the hated & hyped Boston Red Sox too. It's not like the Tigers were taking on the Toledo MudHens in exhibition play [[no offense meant to the farm team either).

The obvious thing that stood out to me was Verlander's command of the curve on Day One. That was like mid-season form out there. He had it moving well, was spotting the corners, and had velocity. He just wasn't going to be touched that day. And for all of the folks poo-pooing Leyland's decision to yank him after the 8th inning, JV knew he wasn't going above 110 pitches that day. He didn't have a problem with it and he was content in knowing he was going to hand it off to [[what was money) Valverde. And even if Valverde had lost that game- it still doesn't speak any less of Verlander's performance. Let's face it- we were spoiled by Valverde's impressive performance last year. While we might want that streak to never end, all great relievers blow some just because the other team has also got some great hitters. No matter second guessing Leyland in this one for the sake of giving Verlander a W that day- simply put, we won.

Second impression that struck me was our line-up and how it must look to opposing teams & pitchers. Jackson from the right side, Boesch from the left, Cabrera from the right, Fielder from the left, Young from the right, Avila from the left, Peralta from the right... we literally keep the opposing pitchers alternating their comfort zone from each side and there really doesn't seem to be any soft spots in that line up until you get down to the 8th & 9th batters. We can literally spray the field with that sort of hitting. Toss in the fact that there's some power in your two through five slots just makes the other team cringe.

Now I don't expect another 10-0 shellacking of the Sox to happen again, but it was against a pretty solid Beckett on the mound too. The twin towers of Cabrera and Fielder punching two HRs out apiece brought forth a nice surge from the crowd too.

It's a nice start to the season. But let's see how this team deals with a few losses- and they will happen. Again. it's a long long season ahead but right now Comerica Park is happening. Two games in and while it's barely a whiff, I'm going to enjoy it and the rest of the season to come. And while it might be my folly months down the road I have high hopes for us doing more than just winning it outright in a feeble AL Central Division.
    Last edited by smogboy; April-08-12 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Now I don't expect another 10-0 shellacking of the Sox to happen again
    I do

I hate the BoSox and Beckett so being at yesterday's game was particularly sweet [[except for Fister leaving the game).

The team atmosphere that the Tigers have compared to the toxic stew that is in Boston bodes well for us. I don't think anything has changed much for Boston from last year except a few people were lucky and got the hell outta there. Beckett is still an arrogant ass, Youk is a dick...the only player that looks like they even give one shit at all is Pedroia.

Oh and a little extra sweetness, Youk is benched for today's game. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    I do

I hate the BoSox and Beckett so being at yesterday's game was particularly sweet [[except for Fister leaving the game).

The team atmosphere that the Tigers have compared to the toxic stew that is in Boston bodes well for us. I don't think anything has changed much for Boston from last year except a few people were lucky and got the hell outta there. Beckett is still an arrogant ass, Youk is a dick...the only player that looks like they even give one shit at all is Pedroia.

Oh and a little extra sweetness, Youk is benched for today's game. heh.
    Okay so maybe you didn't get the 10-0 BoSox drubbing like you had hoped for, but somehow I get the feeling you jumped off the couch as many times as I did with all of the "last inning" heroics. What's better now? A dominating slaughter or a slow twist of the blade? We snatched the sweet taste of victory out of Bobby Valentine's mouth so many times yesterday his tongue must be raw by now.

Okay so Max Scherzer didn't have anything remotely close to a stellar performance but hopefully before it's all over, he'll figure it out and be somewhat effective. I'm not expecting Rick Porcello to step up into that third slot in the rotation just yet- although he is now with Fister being on the DL for a bit.

The Boston series was thrilling to say the least. It's nice to see so many Tiger fans stoked and giddy about what this team is capable of doing. I can't stress how early in the season it is STILL but why not? Celebrate a little and cherish these fun moments. Not all the excitement in baseball happens in October now.

Wow just wow. What a game Sunday. What I found most encouraging was the baseball acumen of Cabrera and Fielder in that last inning. They knew the game well enough to know that their role was to get on and get the tying or winning run at the plate. Cabrera shortened his swing and punched a single. Fielder took what they gave him with the shift and singled through the vacant right side. And what can one add to Alex Avila? The kid catches a five hour game and still has just enough left in the tank to hit the railing in right field.

Avila definitely has returned to form and obviously was both injured and exhausted at the end of last year. Scherzer on the other hand still keeps having problems with his mechanics. When he started spring training with several good outings I was hoping he had finally figured it out. You would think with all the time these guys spend throwing on the side, coaches watching, videotape, etc. he could keep from going "out of whack" because he certainly has the stuff to be very good.

Games like today are the reason I don't bet on sporting events.
    Verlander going into the 9th with a one-hiter, only 81 pitches, and a 2-0 lead?
    Who would have thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Games like today are the reason I don't bet on sporting events.
    Verlander going into the 9th with a one-hiter, only 81 pitches, and a 2-0 lead?
    Who would have thunk it?
    That's also why the game is played between the chalk line and not on paper. It's also what gives weaker teams all the hope in the world and that it can be their moment to capture lightning in the bottle.

Regardless of the outcome, Verlander still pitched one helluva solid game.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast