Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bless You Boys DETROIT TIGERS 2012 ALCS CHAMPOINS! GO WIN THE WORLD SERIES FOR DETROIT.

Detroit may be a dead broke city! But we have a powerful baseball team.

Regardless if it's the Cardinals or the Giants, one would think all of this travel's going to take some of the wind out of their sails. Or if you're one of the Tigers' faithful you'd hope so.

Does anyone have a preference as to who we play?

On a completely selfish note [[as well as historical), I'd like to play the Cardinals again. Not just because we've played them in '68 and '06, but it'd also be a heck of a lot easier to see games played in our time zone. Even if we do end up playing the Giants, I'd still stay up to watch them play but it plays havoc with my body the next day.

The games will be on in prime time regardless if it's the Giants. Maybe a 30 min. later start on the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The games will be on in prime time regardless if it's the Giants. Maybe a 30 min. later start on the west coast.
    I'll assume you mean prime time for those of us here in the Eastern Time Zone. Now I don't feel so selfish. Watching some of those games that last into 1:00AM can be killer for those of us who have to wake up early.

Name:  tger.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  39.3 KB

eat em up

8 to 3 was a shock. SF looks tougher than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    8 to 3 was a shock. SF looks tougher than I thought.
    I knew they weren't going to lie down just because we wanted them to. No team makes it this far on just sheer luck.

But can I say it now? The Jose Valverde Confidence Reclamation Project should be scrapped. Done. Kaput. Done with and never to be heard from again. I appreciate Leyland kind of throwing him a bone here hoping he'd get his mojo back but instead he poops the bed once again and is useless.

He can go fishing with Joel Zumaya for all I care now.

If this team is going to eke out any sort of victories, it won't be because Valverde pitched a brilliant inning. He's done for and because of his last few performances, he's probably cost himself millions if he had any inkling of coming back to the majors. What team is going to want to sign him now?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I knew they weren't going to lie down just because we wanted them to. No team makes it this far on just sheer luck.

But can I say it now? The Jose Valverde Confidence Reclamation Project should be scrapped. Done. Kaput. Done with and never to be heard from again. I appreciate Leyland kind of throwing him a bone here hoping he'd get his mojo back but instead he poops the bed once again and is useless.

He can go fishing with Joel Zumaya for all I care now.

If this team is going to eke out any sort of victories, it won't be because Valverde pitched a brilliant inning. He's done for and because of his last few performances, he's probably cost himself millions if he had any inkling of coming back to the majors. What team is going to want to sign him now?
    Yep, the strikeout of Tim Lincecum is most definitely going to be on Valverde's highlight reel when he shops himself around the majors next season.

His ERA has swelled up faster than Rosie O'Donnell at an All-U-Can-Eat buffet. I think it's back to closer-by-committee again and it seemed to work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Yep, the strikeout of Tim Lincecum is most definitely going to be on Valverde's highlight reel when he shops himself around the majors next season.

His ERA has swelled up faster than Rosie O'Donnell at an All-U-Can-Eat buffet. I think it's back to closer-by-committee again and it seemed to work so far.
    I for one, am glad and hope that this "experiment" or "test" of Valverde is over.
    These are way too important of games to trot this guy out there. I was a little happy that he could at least approach 93 on the gun but his location and his other pitches are incredibily hittable.
    I hate when analysts keep saying that in order for us to win the series, we will need Jose. That's a bunch of bull. There are plenty of arms we can go to instead of Mr. GasCan.
    We need to shake off that loss and try to take command of this series. We don't need to feed the confidence of a hungry Giants team. I'm not sure what happened to Verlander last night but things sure seemed to snowball after that fluke double off the third bag.
    Delmon Young may have been the ALCS MVP. but he looked horrible yesterday standing at home when he obviously hit that ball fair. That was a rally killer and a heartbreaker all rolled into one. It cannot happen again of we want to take this thing.
    No one said this would be easy. The pundits who predicted sweep are now changing their tune.
    We need to come out hard and determined tonight. Make the series 1-1 and we can start breathing again.

Well that's the swing and miss, can't scratch out a run if their life depended on it, Tigers we all remember from the regular season. Tigers just don't look like World Series winners, but then neither do the Giants or any of this year's playoff teams. If ever a pitcher should sue for non-support, it's Fister. I agree with McCarver. Pitchers should be wearing helmuts or steel-lined caps before somebody gets killed, even more so in college ball with the aluminum bats. Glad he's okay.

It's ridiculous how unlucky the Tigers have been in this series. Granted, the Giants defense has been outstanding. The catch by Sandoval off of Miggys line shot that would have rolled to the corner and scored a run was incredible. Fielder has also been robbed by good defensive plays.
    But the ball hitting the third bag in the first game and the ball off Fister's head both came back to bite us. How long can this go on?
    You have to hope that a change of venue and some home cooking will start to change our fortunes.
    We are still taking bad swings in key situations. Their pitchers don't seem dominant, but the combination of bad at-bats and great defense by SF is why we are down 0-2. Crappy relief pitching does not help. Both Smyly and Dotel came in and promptly walked batters that eventually led to big runs being scored.
    The one thing that really has me hosed was Lamont sending Fielder home on a play where it was obvious he was going to be thrown out. This man is not Carl Lewis when it comes to running and if he had held him up, we would have had runners at second and third with no outs. I respect how hard Fielder is playing but hitting into double plays when we need a rally is killing us.
    With all of that said, if we win tomorrow it's only 2 games to one and our hopes will be up again. If we go down 0-3, it will be awfully hard to come back. I just want our team to show a little more fight and some common sense. You rarley get this far so you want to make some noise when you get there. I still have hope, but if they lose tomorrow, I may be stressed and depressed.

I feel bad for the Tigers. I'm rooting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    I feel bad for the Tigers. I'm rooting for them.
    Feel bad for us fans not the team, which has underachieved, except for starting pitching, all season. Thought it would be impossible to play worse than 2006. Can't imagine paying 400 bucks a ticket to sit in the freezing cold watching that fiasco.

SF is beating us in every aspect of the game. Even their peanut vendors are doing better.

Now we see why the Tigers have frustrated those who had been following them all year. This is typical to what we have been seeing all year. Flashes of being a dominant team then a team that can't score runs. Always questionable defensively what you are seeing in the Giants is a superior defensive team, good enough pitching and the ability to manufacture runs if need be. Now its never over until its over, the Giants can tell you that with their series against the Reds and the Cardinals, but I don't think the Tigers have that kind of comeback in their collective team DNA.

Wait 'til next year!

Congrats Tigers on a great year, even if you went down in ignominious flames.

One has to give it up to the Giants for playing darn near flawless baseball. They made their breaks and were opportunistic. Their pitching kept them in the games just like ours did against Oakland and the Yankees. Outside of Verlander- one can't even point a finger to any of the starting pitchers in the World Series and I still wouldn't even cast that heavy of a load on Verlander.

We were playing baseball in October when man of the other teams were contemplating cleaning out their lockers weeks ago. We got to a place where a lot of other teams wish they could be. So we didn't bring home the big prize this time around [[hopefully they can still do it for Mr. Ilitch while he's still around) but we'll give another go at it in the Spring.

It was a difficult year for us fans who had such high expectations at the beginning, but when the Tigers made it to the World Series, one believed anything could happen. The rest of the regular season was forgotten because we were catching fire at the right time. And then we met another battle tested team that could carry their flame just a little further than us. Congrats to the Giants.

The Tigers really didn't play up to their potential until the end of the regular season. The Giants pitching wasn't that good, hard to explain why the Tigers went so cold. They should be very good again in 2013. A closer would be nice, as would a catcher who can hit.

Winning the American League pennant is a tremendous accomplishment - it's a huge disappointment the way it ended though.

Give it Up for Mr. Illich. Everybody knows how rich he is, resent him for that or other things, but, he put out the bucks for this team to compete.

I think the world of Jim Leyland. All through the 1990's up to 2006 the Tigers were the laughingstock of baseball, Tigers hired him and Dave D. and all that changed.

I feel like I'm hungover.....and I don't drink. Numb....just numb.

Seems like I'm not the only smart guy in the Toronto area:

http://www.thestar.com/living/articl...te-in-the-game

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8