Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
I agree with what Lowell says, we just cant let this thing snowball.
We have always been strong starters and weak finishers under Leyland. Last year was just the opposite, so hopefully that continues.
I think our starting pitching is good enough to keep us going.
I wish I had your optimism, I've watched nearly every game this season and I can tell you "this team is not last year's team".
It is certainly not better and key elements are missing that would give hope.
Add that to the fact that both Cleveland and Chicago are playing much better making it even more difficult to climb out of this hole.
Some years everything seems to go your way, others not so much.
It is not enough to have a team loaded with talent, you must have a winning environment in addition to the feeling that you are never out of a game. I felt that last year, this year I feel quite the opposite. That we are ready to blow a close game, and we have done just that. Too many times.
My biggest concern is Valverde. Knowing he was such a shutdown pitcher last year gave the team a boost and confidence that their lead was safe. Now, he seems like the reincarnation of Todd Jones in his later years.
Do I think they are out of it? No, and anything is possible. The problem I have is they need to show me something, anything. And sadly the only thing thay have been showing is a propensity to lose games they should win.
This is not good, and if things do not improve in the next month we'll be looking forward to the NFL season. Imagine that!