Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2013 Winter Classic .... Red Wings vs Maple Leafs

It appears to be a done deal except for the official announcement . Sources say the game will be played at the Big House in Ann Arbor . The NHL wants to see a cross border/Original Six matchup because of good ratings between Boston/Vancouver Stanley Cup Finals , and probably good ticket sales for people coming over from Ontario .

I'm totally against playing the game in Ann Arbor. What good will that do the city of Detroit. Ann Arbor is not an NHL city. Why would Ilitch let this happen, unless he gets paid big somehow. Comerica Park is where the game needs to be.

TV ratings were down this year on NBC for the game in Philly. I think the gimmick may be starting to wear off for the casual viewer, especially when a lot of the newer ballparks look pretty much the same for hockey. Playing in the Big House will restore some uniqueness for tv, not to mention make lots of dough for the league. They will likely still hold the alumni game and maybe the GLI final at Comerica. They need to educate Toronto area fans that Ann Arbor is not far from Detroit and that it makes sense to stay in downtown Detroit and head to Ann Arbor for the game. They should offer hotel/ticket/bus packages to make sure they get fans staying downtown along with some other activities downtown surrounding the event.

There are going to be issues played whether it's going to be at Comerica Park or The Big House.

At Comerica Park it's going to be a tiny audience; the seating there is bigger than the JLA but for the actual seated audience there, it's going to be puny. BUT it will be in downtown, have a great background to it and it will also net Illitch a boatload of cash as Comerica Park is one of his properties.

At The Big House in Ann Arbor, I see a few things bad such as lousy parking, no beer and no real association with Detroit or have anything historically with the Wings or the NHL. It will be the spectacle though just because of the venue.

Now if you truly want to think out-of-the-box and super innovative- let's think about a way to have the game played ON the Detroit River. Huh huh? Is that nuts or am I really wanting to take it back to real POND hockey. I have no idea of how it could be done logistically or have it accessible to a larger audience but what if there was a way to guarantee a section of the Detroit River and have the teams play on the "pond"? What about the area between the city and Belle Isle and have seating on both sides? Have them play outdoors and in nature. And if not the Detroit River [[which would truly make it outdoors and as close to international as possible) what about some other body of water?

Let's admit it. It's a novelty game at best so why not take it one step further? I'm not making light of the players, their skills and the competition but the venue shouldn't take away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    There are going to be issues played whether it's going to be at Comerica Park or The Big House.

At Comerica Park it's going to be a tiny audience; the seating there is bigger than the JLA but for the actual seated audience there, it's going to be puny. BUT it will be in downtown, have a great background to it and it will also net Illitch a boatload of cash as Comerica Park is one of his properties.

At The Big House in Ann Arbor, I see a few things bad such as lousy parking, no beer and no real association with Detroit or have anything historically with the Wings or the NHL. It will be the spectacle though just because of the venue.

Now if you truly want to think out-of-the-box and super innovative- let's think about a way to have the game played ON the Detroit River. Huh huh? Is that nuts or am I really wanting to take it back to real POND hockey. I have no idea of how it could be done logistically or have it accessible to a larger audience but what if there was a way to guarantee a section of the Detroit River and have the teams play on the "pond"? What about the area between the city and Belle Isle and have seating on both sides? Have them play outdoors and in nature. And if not the Detroit River [[which would truly make it outdoors and as close to international as possible) what about some other body of water?

Let's admit it. It's a novelty game at best so why not take it one step further? I'm not making light of the players, their skills and the competition but the venue shouldn't take away from that.
    This is a league event. The home team gets a set fee from the league regardless of the venue. The only benefit to it being downtown for Ilitch is the anxillary revenue from parking, Hockeytown Cafe, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    This is a league event. The home team gets a set fee from the league regardless of the venue. The only benefit to it being downtown for Ilitch is the anxillary revenue from parking, Hockeytown Cafe, etc.
    Isn't that what I said when I mentioned that Ilitch was going to make bank from having the event held at Comerica Park as opposed to Michigan Stadium? Let's not forget that his Ilitich Holdings, Inc. runs Comerica so he's obviously going to make money INSIDE the venue as well as outside the ball park.

Now if you truly want to think out-of-the-box and super innovative- let's think about a way to have the game played ON the Detroit River.

Love that idea. I could watch the game from my table at Coach Insignia while eating a filet and sipping Manhattans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Isn't that what I said when I mentioned that Ilitch was going to make bank from having the event held at Comerica Park as opposed to Michigan Stadium? Let's not forget that his Ilitich Holdings, Inc. runs Comerica so he's obviously going to make money INSIDE the venue as well as outside the ball park.
    Ilitch will not get money from inside the venue. The league pays the equivalent of average home gate revenue from their normal venue [[JLA). No more, no less.

Moved here from Sports Forum as this transcends sports as Metro D business.

While it's true that there is a HUGE Leafs contingent around here, I think the league is venturing into risky territory if they do decide to play the game in Ann Arbor. This annual game is already targeted for passive fans who are interested in it as a novelty. It relies on its core fans, who show up anyways, to put the remaining butts in the seats. By moving the game to a "foreign" or off-site venue, and charging what it does, it runs the risk of its core fans not wanting to go thru the extra hassle of having to drive an extra hour, then sit in traffic another half an hour to park.

I can visualize tons of Mapleleafs loyals from across the river spending the afternoon in Detroit, whether they have tickets to the game or not. I can't imagine nearly as many people actually from Toronto wanting to go to a gimmick in Ann Arbor.

Which begs two more questions. Is the NHL that desperate that it is really relying on yet another gimmick to draw in more fans.? We already know the answer is yes. But what I really want to know is why does the league totally ignore the built-in rivalry we have with the Leafs that is merely a border crossing away? The latest restructuring [[the NHLPA shot it down last week) just re-established what Bettman un-did 15 years ago, only it ignored that built-in rivalry.

And finally, having the game in Ann Arbor sucks because this is the only time the Leafs will be here until 2015. Guess we can't heckle them until then............

I think having it on the Detroit River is a really good idea. There's a lot of symbolism there, and it would be a really unique setting.

UM does have a good hockey program, so that's an angle they could play up.

When will they make the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'm totally against playing the game in Ann Arbor. What good will that do the city of Detroit. Ann Arbor is not an NHL city. Why would Ilitch let this happen, unless he gets paid big somehow. Comerica Park is where the game needs to be.
    I'm totally for this. Yes, I love Detroit, and I love it when stuff happens in Detroit. However, Detroit doesn't have to get EVERYTHING.

Imagine you and 111,000 of your closest friends cheering on the Red Wings at the Big House. We're also close enough to Toronto that they can scoop up the tickets too.

This event will be CRAZY. As a Red Wings fan I'm all for it. No other outdoor stadium has the seating capacity that the Big House has.

The Red Wings can play their 40 other home games on the Detroit River in JLA.

On the river? Really? Why am I gettting this vision of tiny red & blue bobbing lumps floating towards the Ambassador Bridge?

I think playing in the Big House is a good idea, and good for the league. Did well for a Colts-Lions game "a few years" back that I went to. As 48091 said, it's only one game. The other 40 are still held at the Joe.

Good ol' Fashion Pond Hockey, Kirk Maltby is the Grand Marshall for the event this year in St Clair Shores. Although they have already had to postpone the event due to the weather. Not cold enough for ice to be safe enough to play on.
    http://www.ci.saint-clair-shores.mi....ondhockey.html

If the game is in Ann Arbor you would have to figure that all the hotels, or even the NHL/Red Wings would have some type of park and ride shuttles from Detroit to AA [[or they could take the high speed mass transit!)

Yes, this is about making money and yes this about being a true Winter Classic event. What if the city of Detroit had their WinterBlast set up the same weekend as the game. Have viewing parties hosted around the city. I'd rather watch the game from a heated area, rather than sitting 500 feet away from the rink.

With that being said, AA would probably be a horrible place to watch a hockey game as the seats will be too far from the ice. Similar to watching the Final Four in Ford Field. That stadium was built for Football, not a raised basketball court at the 50yd line.

If played in AA I wouldn't rule out Beer sales. As long as the school [[U of M) is not hosting the event, a provision could probably be made for beer sales. This has always been an issue with NCAA events. Examples;

Final Four at Ford Field, no beer sales because U of D was the host school of the event.
    Little Ceasers Bowl at Ford Field, beer sales allowed, no host school.
    College BBall at Palace of Auburn Hills during regular season, no host school beer sales allowed.

Its not just the game. There is a week of activities that happen before the game. It would be great for Detroit. They could tie in the Winter Blast with the game.

I'm definitely against the game being played in Ann Arbor.

Ann Arbor isn't Metro Detroit [[at least not the traditional definition), there is no natural allegience between the UofM community and the Red Wings, Michigan Stadium has far worse sightlines than Comerica, and there would be no economic benefit for Detroit.

I'm looking forward to the Legends game. Osgood will lead the Wings old timers to victory, and Ozzie fans everywhere will use this as another reason he should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Occurrence Guest

I'm glad the game is in Ann Arbor. Comerica Park sucks. It's hard enough to watch baseball there because you are so far away from the action. I couldn't imagine being stuck in the upper deck and trying to see a puck.

Maybe they can open up that dumb Ferris wheel for a week to make Illitch some more money. Those Illitch owned parking lots around the Cliff Bells area that police are forcing people to now pay to park in probably aren't bringing in enough revenue for him.

With UM and MSU possibly [[likely?) playing in January 1 bowl games next year, having the game in Ann Arbor - with an additional 60,000+ seats having to be sold compared to Comerica - seems like potential disaster. There is no way I'd bother with this game if my team [[MSU) is playing when this regular season hockey game occurs. I love the Wings, but I don't really even get what the big deal is about the Winter Classic...they should just move it to the second or third Saturday in January?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I'm glad the game is in Ann Arbor. Comerica Park sucks. It's hard enough to watch baseball there because you are so far away from the action. I couldn't imagine being stuck in the upper deck and trying to see a puck.
    The average seat at Michigan Stadium would be much more distant from the action than at Comerica. There's no comparison whatsoever.

Michigan Stadium has far worse sightlines than Comerica, and there would be no economic benefit for Detroit.
    Well, yes and no. While the Big House does have far more bad vantage points, they also destroy CoPa in the amount of good vantage points. By a Mile.

Let's not forget that the Big House also has experience with outdoor hockey games as well. Remember the Big Chill?

Yeah, it was cool. It was also cold. I thought we had excellent seats in the 17th row [[or so), however at the Big House the lower bowl has a very low grade. The people around the glass blocked out any chance of a view. I believe CoPa has a very low grade in their lower bowl as well.

So be warned, get your seats up high. And bring a blanket.

If anybody really expects to have a clear view of the game - whether it is at Comerica or Michigan Stadium - they are delusional. You attend something like this to enjoy the experience and say you were there...not to have a great view of the action on the ice.

SteveJ Guest

Game will be easily sold out. I'm guessing beer will be sold. Don't be surprised if the old timers game is in Ann Arbor. Just see it as too expensive to set up 2 outdoor rinks at the same time by the NHL but I'm sure Illitch will set something up himself for Comerica Park like the Gliac. Illitch can't be too happy about this because his cash cow is going to take a big hit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast