Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Political persecution of our Marines

Our sanctimonious leaders [[Clinton, Panetta et al) and Liberal Media are persecuting the Marines for [[only) piddling on the corpses of Taliban fighters who if given the chance would have killed them or blown off their their limbs. At the same time these establishment operatives will gladly support the deaths of innocent women and children as collateral damage to further their political careers. They are a bunch hypocrites and apologists that prostrate themselves to our enemies and make it impossible to ever win a war.
    Last edited by coracle; January-14-12 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Even the enemy deserves respect after defeat. The soldiers involved know what they did was wrong, and they need to be punished for it.

Do you have any Idea what harm this will do ? The Abu Ghraib Torture and prison Abuse scandal in Iraq was a major recruitment tool in Iraq for the insurgency and it caused many America casualties and millions of our tax dollars fighting it . I have no doubt this video will also be used as recruitment tool for the Taliban and could also cost the lifes of other marines and strengthen the Taliban in the future but you do not seem to have a problem with this.
    I spent 2 years in Afghanistan on a base that lost several people a week and its not a good feeling

You're joking, right?

The very, very least that should happen is a Dishonorable Discharge and loss of all benefits.

I wouldn't mind seeing them turned over to the Hague.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    At the same time these establishment operatives will gladly support the deaths of innocent women and children as collateral damage to further their political careers. .
    You mean the deaths of thousands of innocent woman and children that have died directly from bombs dropped by our military?

As I recall, there was quite a hue and cry when a US soldier's body was dragged through the streets of Mogadishu in Somalia. All you have to do is put yourself in the position of Afghans, taliban or not. This is not the sort of action that will win over any hearts and minds there. War brings out the best and worst in people, mostly the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You're joking, right?

The very, very least that should happen is a Dishonorable Discharge and loss of all benefits.

I wouldn't mind seeing them turned over to the Hague.
    no, this doesn't rise to anything like the level of war crime. They were dead. Dishonorable discharge, yes. This was a disgusting, stupid, asinine act that every American should be embarrassed by

Occurrence Guest

Technically, the only Americans who should be embarrassed are the ones who voted for those who vote to keep our troops over there.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    Do you have any Idea what harm this will do ? The Abu Ghraib Torture and prison Abuse scandal in Iraq was a major recruitment tool in Iraq for the insurgency and it caused many America casualties and millions of our tax dollars fighting it . I have no doubt this video will also be used as recruitment tool for the Taliban and could also cost the lifes of other marines and strengthen the Taliban in the future but you do not seem to have a problem with this.
    I spent 2 years in Afghanistan on a base that lost several people a week and its not a good feeling
    I have to agree with that. They certainly weren't doing their fellow marines any favors.

Our sanctimonious leaders [[Clinton, Panetta et al) and Liberal Media are persecuting the Marines for [[only) piddling on the corpses of Taliban fighters who if given the chance would have killed them or blown off their their limbs. At the same time these establishment operatives will gladly support the deaths of innocent women and children as collateral damage to further their political careers. They are a bunch hypocrites and apologists that prostrate themselves to our enemies and make it impossible to ever win a war.
    I grant you your point about hypocricy but the fact stays this act by these marines is conduct unbecoming and should be punished to the full extend. Furthermore I also am sick of the reaction of the rightwing media and pundits who condone this behaviour.

It's not new of course.

This is the same sick act as if you cut off the ears of vietcong militants in the Vietnam war. The only diffenerence is: cameras. You see more of the battle field than 40 years ago. These days soldiers have their own hand held devices. And now the got caught by their own recordings.

And I agree with the points made above: this will be used against the US of A.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-16-12 at 01:17 PM.

Persecuted pissers. Now I've heard it all.

It used to be that the human race set high standards for itself—at least higher than animals.

Lately it's as if some great hidden cosmic switch were toggled and suddenly everyone's competing to out-vulgarize each other instead.

I've been trying to repopularize the phrase "this is what sets us apart from animals." I can't find any part of this story where that phrase would be appropriate.

Maybe they should just knock them down a rank , put it down on their records and move on . There is honor among enemies , and just a handful does not represent our military . You'll find this type of shenanigans in any war [[Lt. William Calley in Vietnam ) etc. Keep in mind that following 9/11 , in any city in the Middle East people were dancing in the streets at what terrorists did , even though most of those people doing the dancing were just regular people not terrorists . Who's the animals here ? Karzai could have come out and calmed things down by stating it was an isolated incident [[which it was) .... but condemned the action instead ... that asshole would still be living in a shack if it weren't for us . Nobody likes us in the middle east anyways , so move on .

"Maybe they should just knock them down a rank , put it down on their records and move on".

Sounds like a rational sensible solution Wingnatic to a tricky situation which probably doesn't completely destroy their lives for their moment of misplaced bravado. Pity we had to wring our hands to the world and blow it out of all proportion. The last straw for me was when McCain got on their case - because he really pisses me off [[pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Persecuted pissers. Now I've heard it all.

It used to be that the human race set high standards for itself—at least higher than animals.

Lately it's as if some great hidden cosmic switch were toggled and suddenly everyone's competing to out-vulgarize each other instead.

I've been trying to repopularize the phrase "this is what sets us apart from animals." I can't find any part of this story where that phrase would be appropriate.
    well, animals DON'T urinate on the corpses of their enemies

a tricky situation
    There's no tricky situation.

Discharge them. No rank. No pension. No VA benefits. Recall any awards or commendations they've ever received.

Show the world we don't tolerate this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Technically, the only Americans who should be embarrassed are the ones who voted for those who vote to keep our troops over there.
    that would be democrats AND republicans alike

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Maybe they should just knock them down a rank , put it down on their records and move on . There is honor among enemies , and just a handful does not represent our military . You'll find this type of shenanigans in any war [[Lt. William Calley in Vietnam ) etc. Keep in mind that following 9/11 , in any city in the Middle East people were dancing in the streets at what terrorists did , even though most of those people doing the dancing were just regular people not terrorists . Who's the animals here ? Karzai could have come out and calmed things down by stating it was an isolated incident [[which it was) .... but condemned the action instead ... that asshole would still be living in a shack if it weren't for us . Nobody likes us in the middle east anyways , so move on .
    Nonsense. Karzai is an educated man who was in Aghan govt after the soviets left.

http://www.biography.com/people/hamid-karzai-537356

I could understand if they were in a rage, but someone actually thought it would be funny to make a video recording of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I could understand if they were in a rage, but someone actually thought it would be funny to make a video recording of it.
    Just another example of the dumming down and coarsening of our culture nowadays. And we are supposedly the leaders of the "developed world".

I normally don't go in for moral equivalence but here's a report I haven't seen in the Left Wing American Media, or any of our apologists wringing their hands over it's brutality. You could say the Taliban don't piss about. Of course it doesn't excuse what our military did but it certainly puts it in perspective as a non event! Taliban releases horrific video of executions of 15 Pakistani soldiers | Mail Online

Last edited by coracle; January-22-12 at 04:34 PM.