Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    GUSHI Guest

11 - 5 go LIONS

The two guys, Anwar Richardson and Justin Rogers who have taken over for Tom Kowlaski's MLive spot have both gone with 10-6 apiece.

What really makes for good reading are the kazillion and one comments.

Thruster315, no I meant that Delmas is a china doll, not Stafford [[ I don't want either injured). I don't think Delmas' hits are that intense. Sure he has had a few but most are average. It's his mis-tackles that drive me insane.

1, Sun 9/9 1pm Home St. Louis FOX
    2, Sun 9/18 8:20pm @ 49ers NBC
    3, Sun 9/23 1pm @ Tenn FOX
    4, Sun 9/30 1pm Home Vikings FOX
    5, BYE
    6, Sun 10/14 1pm @ Philly FOX
    7, Mon 10/22 8:30pm @ Chicago ESPN
    8, Sun 10/28 1 pm Home Seattle FOX
    9, Sun 11/4 1pm @ Jacksonville FOX
    10, Sun 11/11 1pm @ Vikings FOX
    11, Sun 11/18 1pm Home Packers FOX
    12, Thurs 11/22 12:30pm Home Houston Texans CBS
    13, Sun 12/2 1pm Home Colts FOX
    14, Sun 12/9 8:20pm @ Green Bay NBC
    15, Sun 12/16 4:05pm @ Phoenix FOX
    16, Sat 12/22 8:20pm Home Atlanta FOX
    17, Sun 12/30 1pm Home Chicago FOX

1, vs St. Louis W
    2, vs 49ers W
    3, vs Titans L
    4, vs Minn W
    6, vs Phila W
    7, vs Bears W
    8, vs Seattle L
    9, vs Jags W
    10, vs Minn W
    11, vs Pack L
    12, vs Texans W
    13, vs Indy W
    14, vs Pack L
    15, vs Phoenix W
    16, vs Atlanta W

Damn, this isn't making sense.

17, vs Bears W

12 and 4. I think the Turban of Shame fell over my eyes when I I was throwing the darts at the computer screen.

Now I gotta get a new screen
    Last edited by gnome; September-04-12 at 12:27 PM.

The key is to win all games at home, this means GB, Bears, Houston. And then sneek some away. Im going 8-0 at home and 2-6 on the road for 10-6. Stafford needs to stay healthy

1, Home St. Louis WIN
    2, @ 49ers LOSE
    3, @ Tenn LOSE
    4, Home Vikings WIN
    6, @ Philly LOSE
    7, @ Chicago LOSE
    8, Home Seattle WIN
    9, @ Jacksonville WIN
    10, @ Vikings WIN
    11, Home Packers WIN
    12, Home Houston WIN
    13, Home Colts WIN
    14, @ Green Bay LOSE
    15, @ Phoenix LOSE
    16, Home Atlanta WIN
    17, Home Chicago WIN

Alright, I feel that I should explain how I got to 12 and 4.

First I looked at each game separately and tried to project certain outcomes.

1, St. Louis sucks. Period. We should beat them like rented mules.

2, S.F. doesn't suck. They are very good, but we have the better QB. Last year Stafford was still getting his legs, this year he should have better field vision and the upgrades of Young and Broyles combined with our tight ends of Pettigrew, Shiffler, the other white guy; plus, Calvin and Nate ... all equal a superior passing attack. Still no running game.

3, Titians, backed into a 9 win season last year. Fluke. Swelled heads will bite the Lions and we will trip over our turgid wangs in some sort of act of OMG idiocy. Leshoure runs the wrong way, Titus Young facemasks a newly returned Ed Hochuli and gets the first string ejected. Or Martians land at midfield distracting the DBs during an end-around/tackle reverse/center eligible.

4, Vikes have not rebounded from their implosion last year. In a squeakier we will pull it out at the last second.

6, Philly is the youngest team in the league. Vick is done. Expect a beating of medieval proportions. The Phiily fans will start booing the Eagles during the National Anthem.

7, Monday Night in Chi-Town. A reeling Bear Defense will not have found a replacement for Urlacher in either leadership or in skill. Short passes all night long by Stafford. Expect a big day receiving by Leshoure.

8, We come home on a short week and screw the goose by looking pass Seattle.

9, Jags will catch the wrath of a frustrated Lion team. Another viscous bloodletting. Manslaughter charges against Fairley after a screen pass results in a head rolling on the turf. Smogboy throws up, then throws a flag.

10, Vikings go down like a prom date. Lions are all relaxed and just want to cuddle.

11, The Pack, Cuddle hangover in front the Home crowd. De-pantsed by a superior force.

12, Texans catch a limping lions squad embarrassed from their previous week.

13, Indy. Luck's luck has run out, his early season flashes of wizardry have been figured out by the grown-ups. Lions by double digits.

14, Pack in Laimboo. The curse lives on. The Lions are found in a snowbank with 53 vibrating butt-plugs rudely inserted in the cold while Rogers hones his ring toss skills.

15, Ford Field provides the balm needed for the Leos' fiery bungholes. Phoenix figures out they hate themselves in an end-of-year mutiny; Lions in a race with the Bears for the Wild-Card seeding issue not-quite-a-thumping.

16, Showdown in Motown. December 30th our Leos nail a Bear pelt to the goalposts.

Enjoyable read Gnome, insightfull, funny and entertaining.
    Dont agree with our dominance but it was well thought out, in a cheeky kind of way.
    Balm for our fiery bungholes was spot on.

Well here’s what I’ve got for the predictions so far:

The Professionals:
    Dave Birkett [[Freep): 10-6
    Carlos Monarrez [[Freep): 11-5
    Jeff Seidel [[Freep): 10-6
    Drew Sharp [[Freep): 8-8
    Anwar Richardson [[MLive): 10-6
    Justin Rogers [[MLive): 10-6
    JOSH KATZENSTEIN [[Detroit News) : 10-6
    BUCKY BROOKS [[NFL.com): 8-8
    DANIEL JEREMIAH [[NFL.com): 9-7
    ADAM SCHEIN [[NFL.com): 8-8
    STAVE WYCHE [[NFL.com): 9-7
    DAVE DYE [[FoxSportsDetroit.com): 11-5
    DEAN HOLDEN [[BleacherReport.com): 11-5

The DYes cast of characters and part time psychics:
    Gnome: 12-4 [[and a bold prediction I’ll toss cookies during the Jags game.)
    Kenp: 10-6
    Thruster315: 9-7
    GUSHI: 11-5
    Big dog: 8-8
    GOAT: 7-9

...and my prediction of 10-6.

My choice is based upon what I perceive as the team getting better offensively. They've had another year to come together and I see some slight upgrades in talent. A year of maturity for this bunch will make them scarier to defend. My hope is that Stafford and Johnson become the new gold standard in the NFL for a QB and wide receiver. Any sort of semi- potent run game whether it be from Leshoure, Smith, or a constant rotation is a bonus.

I would've gone to the Kool-Aid and given them an 11-5 but I also see the defense taking a step backwards with the lack of any depth and true talent in the defensive back field. While the offense might be able to put up some fantastic numbers offensively I can also see other teams, even the weaker ones putting up some garish numbers against us as well. I'm not a huge fan of shootouts just because one never knows who is going to come out on top. If our defense backfield instilled a little bit more raw ability to take the ball away, I would've made the gnome-esque optimistic leap of faith.

If there are any others out there that would like to toss in their mighty Lions predictions, please feel free to do so and I'll set these in the slow setting cement by Sunday. It should be an exciting year and it's good to have some credence in the League again. Gone are the days of weekly ineptitude and constant shame. This team is no longer the butt end of Jay Leno jokes [[not that they were that funny to begin with) and has some pretty potent and talented players. Let's GO Lions!!!
    Last edited by smogboy; September-06-12 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    1, St. Louis sucks. Period. We should beat them like rented mules.
    Yes, we should, BUT if Steven Jackson gets on track somehow, we could be in for one of those scary shootouts that smogboy alluded to. Bradford's not exactly a chump at QB but the poor guy's got no one to throw to. I can see him doing a day's worth of sinks & dunks to Jackson or TE Mulligan if there's no one down field. We need the front four to chase the hell out of Bradford and not give him a second to catch their breath. Bradford cannot have as so much a second to have third and fourth looks down the field.

Let's just bury them, get out of Game One injury free and come home with a victory.

Sorry for getting in on this so late but I had to check some long range weather forecasts for outdoor games. 11-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Sorry for getting in on this so late but I had to check some long range weather forecasts for outdoor games. 11-5.
    No difficulties at all, Downriviera. We completely respect the notion that you need to check with your bunion and wooly bear caterpillars. It might not be as sophisticated as turbans, crystal balls or the Chuck Gaidica Doppler 4- but if it works for you, far be it for us to kvetch. Consider your confident 11-5 prediction logged in and good for all to see.

Looks like Wendling at safety this week. He is not a quality safety at all, props for his special team play but not a good thing on D.
    I agree with smogboys above post, our D is what is holding us back from being elite. D-line is deep and talented, but after that is b leauge stuff.

Looks like I'll be in Chicago through the weekend. Anyone know of a Lions bar here?

Looks like I'll be in Chicago through the weekend. Anyone know of a Lions bar here?
    http://www.thetinlizzie.com/main.asp
    Also big for spartoons.
    There are a lot of lions fans in Chicago

Thank ken, I'll check it out.

On another point, and one the The Commissioner Smogboy would need to authorize, is the idea of a game day get together. A DYLWC, or Detroit Yes Lions Watchers Club, could happen at a locally appropriate watering hole.

Depending on what The Commissioner rules, I would be interested in hearing suggestions from others. In the City I would think the Town Pump, the Anchor Bar, or even Cub's community center at the Georgia Street garden.

Thoughts?

I would be in as would my buddy who is a huge Lions fan as well. Great idea gnome!

Love to hear where you found your tailgating spot. I heard the Michigan theater is closed for tailing due to damage done by some fools last yr.

---

I can't talk right now. Not because I'm upset, it is just because my throat gave out after the last drive and singing the anthem with a bunch of Lions fans in a Chicago bar. Bro-hugs and high-fives, backslaps and yoohooing and now I sound like Tom Waits.

In all, a surprising game. I thought this would be a bloodletting with our Boyz tearing the Rams a new orifice, but Stafford's seeming field blindness resulted in 3 picks, one which went for 7 Ramsian points, and effectively threw into doubt a doubtless contest. A surprise.

Two picks cost us at least 10 points, if not 14, and I'm afraid I'm afraid of what the rest of the season portends.

Defensively we have holes in the backfield that just got deeper with the concussion of our rookie Mr. Bentley. Not good. Maybe a C.

Dline play was solid with suh pulling down Jackson is one arm with holding off a 320 pound lineman with his other arm. Impressive. VB is still speedy and looked in good form. Hill Avril, eT al did themselves proud and allowed Durrant to Hoover-up 12 tackles.

Game One of the real season has begun and I can almost assuredly guarantee everyone here that it’s not the way Jim Schwartz diagramed it, nor the way Matt Stafford wanted to play. While Stafford did redeem himself in the second half, I’m sure that other teams are going to be reviewing this tape thoroughly to see how the lowly Rams nearly came away with it in the first half alone. The Rams turned all three of the picks into points and if the Lions were playing a much more skilled offensive team, it very well could’ve been 21 points as opposed to 13 points.

Detroit seemed to control the tempo of the game but could just never shake the pesky Rams off. And even against this young of an opponent, while confident, I wasn’t sure of which way it was going to tilt. Having never seen Stafford implode like that or [[if you want to look at it from a Rams’ point of view) the Rams’ great defensive scheme- one couldn’t assuredly tell which way it was going to lean.

The offensive clicked with the exception of the early Stafford picks and the Brandon Pettigrew drops [[at key times again). The offensive line kept Stafford upright for most of the game [[one sack) and seemed to play pretty disciplined. One fact that might get overlooked in today’s game is the steep decline in Detroit penalties which is one of the few reassuring stats of the game. I did like the spreading of the ball; early one I believe Stafford went to six different receivers and had Kevin Smith looking dangerous.

Defensively the one tell tale stat that I had alluded to in an earlier post was keeping powerhouse RB Steven Jackson in check and the front four controlled him pretty well. It was also nice to see the linebackers and corners support the run too. Keeping it to 21 rushes for a mere 53 yards for a guy with that sort of power and speed was pretty good for Detroit’s defense. There was one particular play I loved where Jackson was coming up the middle and Suh shed his blocker slightly and just grabbed him with one hand until the rest of the line could come shut down Jackson; that was an impressive display of Suh strength!

I’m not going to panic just yet. Stafford looked impossible to stop in the pre-season and he looked more like Chuck Long [[or was it Chuck E. Cheese?) today in the first half. He seemed to regain his swagger and composure in the second half, but one could tell he still wasn’t as quick & confident as he ordinarily is. For this team to thrive we’ve all agreed that his health is paramount, but I think that he also needs to have his gunslinger mentality at its apex too. Linehan is going to have to take him into the film room this week, break things down for him and continue his education. I’m sure Fisher brought his young defense up to snuff on some of Detroit’s tendencies. It wasn’t that Stafford’s picks weren’t accurate- they were, but the other team knew where to be and when to double down.

We’ll breathe a sigh of relief this week for the victory. We’ll also defibrillate anyone that was panicked by today’s course of events. But also know that this is also just one game and hopefully Detroit can grow from it. Beating a lowly St. Louis team should be routine, but to nearly lose to them this early should be unacceptable. Next week’s San Francisco game we’ll need to be a lot sharper if we want to stay on the winning ledger side of things.

Thank ken, I'll check it out.

On another point, and one the The Commissioner Smogboy would need to authorize, is the idea of a game day get together. A DYLWC, or Detroit Yes Lions Watchers Club, could happen at a locally appropriate watering hole.

Depending on what The Commissioner rules, I would be interested in hearing suggestions from others. In the City I would think the Town Pump, the Anchor Bar, or even Cub's community center at the Georgia Street garden.

Thoughts?
    Thanks for the appointment [[I never knew I was even in the running!). I'm all in favor of any and all DYEs folks getting together at a local watering hole to watch the games. Unfortunately on some Sundays I can't make it due to work obligations. Fortunately I still have a decent sized screen to watch the game but watching the game shouldn't be my priority. DVRs help in my life and I can always go back and re-watch games. So I guess I'm commissioner-in-abstentia, but far be it for me to keep kind good hearted Lions minded folks from getting together.

The announcers said that the Rams pre-snap pass coverage looks confused Stafford. They said the Rams had one look at the pre-snap then went to another look at the snap. Looks like Stafford figured out what they were doing in the second half.

Around the league on the first week it looked like QB's were throwing a lot of interceptions in general.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    The announcers said that the Rams pre-snap pass coverage looks confused Stafford. They said the Rams had one look at the pre-snap then went to another look at the snap. Looks like Stafford figured out what they were doing in the second half.

Around the league on the first week it looked like QB's were throwing a lot of interceptions in general.
    I had heard that too. I guess they have a pre-snap look and then they break into some other sort of post-snap coverage. Damn that Jeff Fisher for being a bright cookie against us.

While I'm happy we won, can someone go slap the snot out of Titus Young for making another stupid ass penalty. Schwartz had warned the team that guys like Jenkins and that punk kid from Ohio State, Laurinaitas were going to be chatty and muck it up. And wouldn't ya know it, they baited Young [[so aptly named for his lack of maturity) into it.

And okay, Stafford's confidence got shook the first half but why wasn't there even one long ball to Calvin the entire game? We've got THE premier wide receiver in the league and one of the strongest guns out there- so why not use it from time to time?

And we need Delmas and Houston back by next week if we stand any chance against Handshake Harbaugh's Niners.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    The offensive clicked with the exception of the early Stafford picks and the Brandon Pettigrew drops [[at key times again).
    Sigh. Pettigrew. If this guy can hang onto the ball with some sense of consistency I think he'd easily be a Pro Bowler. I know he's the feature TE but it still seems like Scheffler and Heller have the better hands.

The look on Matt Stafford's face said it all with that one dropped pass. Totally untouched and it was an easy TD.

Bring back the Stick 'Um!!!

Anybody know the scoop of the new "sweat stains" on our boys in Honolulu Blue? I saw that the Washington Redskins had the same odd "stains" too. Was this evident on other teams with dark jerseys too???

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Sigh. Pettigrew. If this guy can hang onto the ball with some sense of consistency I think he'd easily be a Pro Bowler. I know he's the feature TE but it still seems like Scheffler and Heller have the better hands.

The look on Matt Stafford's face said it all with that one dropped pass. Totally untouched and it was an easy TD.

Bring back the Stick 'Um!!!

I still am not buying into Pettigrew. Physically he could be one of the best in the league he just drops too many passes

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast