Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default 2012 Detroit Lions

It was exactly one year ago today that I started the 2011 Detroit Lions thread. I'm not saying that we somehow had a great influence on the team and their string of recent successes but why not start up the new thread on the same day as last?

The 2011 edition of the Lions met or at least exceeded many of our expectations. As the off season looms, there are many issues for the front office to tackle- from re-signing our own crop of free agents to seeing who's available from other teams to pick up. Before long the 2012 Draft will be upon us and while we won't be getting a top ten pick any more- we always hold out hope we can get some young stud who can contribute immediately in the first few rounds. Every now and then we find a diamond in the rough with the later rounds; we can only hope that Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz and their scouting staffs can unearth a few for us.

These are just some of the topics to be discussed as we segue into the new year with our city's football team. I have high hopes that we will have continued intelligent discussions, well thought out view points and some fun along the way. If this team can perform just a touch better than we did last season then this thread should be just as lively, civil, informative and insightful.

So bring on the talk, discussions, predictions, observations, opinions, and suggestions for our favorite team in Honolulu Blue & Silver.

A fine Opening Post, SB.

Collectively we built a fine record with last year's thread; I hold out hope that we'll be able to maintain the same high standards of intelligent and thoughful discussion for this year as well.

For a very early prediction I'd like everyone to consider what January 2013 will look like when we could be hosting a home playoff game and the Autoshow on the same weekend.

The news reports will show network RVs filling up Grand Circus Park, the David Whitney completed, the David Broderick renting out unfinished units, and the residents of Trolley Plaza sub-letting their units for $10,000 for the weekend.

Book your rooms now, kids...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    For a very early prediction I'd like everyone to consider what January 2013 will look like when we could be hosting a home playoff game and the Autoshow on the same weekend.

The news reports will show network RVs filling up Grand Circus Park, the David Whitney completed, the David Broderick renting out unfinished units, and the residents of Trolley Plaza sub-letting their units for $10,000 for the weekend.

Book your rooms now, kids...
    If your Miss Cleo turban has a few more good predictions left in it, I hope this one's dead-on. It's a ballsy prediction without looking at a schedule or seeing what sort of free agents come or go. No one can fault you for not taking a blind shot in the dark!

And maybe like the 2011 Lions, they'll surprise all of us again and exceed our expectations and predictions. Fingers crossed.

Well Thruster, I should not have used the word "prediction". Maybe "have you ever considered", or "if dreams come true" or "monkeys were flying out of my butt and I thought" ... the point is that we could be facing something never before considered: conflicts between the Auto Show and January. Foptball

Pardon me for grabbing the wheel of this thread and veering it off the straight & narrow for a bit to talk about the rest of the NFL that's still playing [[I'd like to think that next year around this time, it'll still hopefully be Lions' talk too).

The San Francisco vs. New Orleans game I walked in on during the last quarter and what a knock-down, drag-out, boob-slap sort of match. Back and forth between two pretty good offensive teams! Honestly one of the better games I've seen so far where both sides went at it. Seeing the emotion that Vernon Davis had on the sidelines was touching too. Here's a warhorse of a player who some might argue is one of the better tight ends in the game still feeling choked up about a play that propelled his team onto the next round of playoffs. No crazy celebrating- just a swelling of emotions.

As much as I loathe Jim Harbaugh, the Niners are getting it done.

Second game of the day? Simply put- Tom Brady and the Pats clowned the Broncos. They just took them out to the woodshed and pulped them senseless. Five touchdowns in the first half to four separate receivers shows you just how explosive the Patriots are. At the half, Brady had more TDs than the Denver QB [[as a courtesy to all concerned no names of the overly hyped will be mentioned) had completions. And just to keep things interesting and other teams on edge, Brady even got in a 48 yard punt that pinned back the Broncos- it wasn't booming nor pretty but it completely caught the sleeping Broncos off guard.

This game was more embarrassing to watch than any of the 0-16 Lions games for me. That Lions team I knew was bad. These were supposed to be two playoff teams in the second round. Somebody clicked off the competition button and it was the men taking on the JV team.

But watching these two games without any true rooting interest made me think of why the 2011 Lions were so entertaining [[attempting to get the thread back on track now)- they were simply competitive. The Niners/ Saints game was competitive; I had no idea who was going to win. The outcome was not determined by the second half. The Patriots/ Broncos game was a lark- much like some of the horrid Lions teams of the past. It was arena based masochism today if you were a Broncos fan.

We like our entertainment. We like our twists & turns. We like the surprise outcomes. And we most definitely like when the good guys [[our Lions) triumph over evil [[whomever we play on any given Sunday).

Whaddaya know? Green Bay- last year's Super Bowl winner won't be going to the big dance and have any hopes of repeating. The G-Men of New York have sent them to the links. And the staunch Ravens have booted the Texans.

It'll be an interesting few weeks leading up to the Super Bowl after all.

True shocker for those fans in Green Bay. I'm very surprised and quite pleased as well. GB is going to lose a few key coaches to other teams and I'll be willing to bet a few players as well.

They seemed a team of destiny, especially when Flynn killed us, but the mighty have fallen, hard. They didn't just lose, they were destroyed. Out played, out coached, out and out embarrassed.

The implications are huge for the NFC north, and everything we knew is in for readjustment.

Looking at the final batch of teams still in the hunt, New York Giants, San Francisco Forty Niners, New England Patriots and the Baltimore Ravens... I would honestly have to say that our Lions team could play very well against any one of them [[we only played the Niners last year and barely lost).

I'd be safe to say that early on, the odds on faves would've been the Saints, Green Bay or the Patriots- and outside of the Patriots team making it in, I'm kind of amazed at the field that did make it in. Anyone want to take a stab at making an educated guess to the final two teams, much less the eventual winner of the Super Bowl?

I would say the Lions would be competitive against all four but would not beat any of them. Remember the Lions did not defeat a team with a winning record all year. Denver finished the regular season 8-8.

I'm going to go with the New England Brady's vs the amazing Alex Smith's 49ers with the winner being the New England Brady's bunch.

In my pre-season picks, I had us beating a hapless SF team and helping them realize an 0 and 16 record. So, I apparently can't be trusted to pick my nose, let alone a football outcome; however, that won't stop me from spouting off ala Millen-style in my 2012 post-season prognostications.

Brady, Brady, Brady ... Which means it will be the Harbaugh Boyz throwing down in Indy Town. Heard it here first. SF v Ravens.

Nevermore. Nevermore.

I like the Ravens over the Pats and I think the Giants/49er game is going to be a great game. Both teams peaking at the right time, I am going with the underdog and picking the Giants.

Note to Smogboy, next year you should add a Playoff thread and a new Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I would say the Lions would be competitive against all four but would not beat any of them.
    That to me is one of the nicest ways to say that our Lions have improved drastically. There's no way any of us here could've uttered those words here without ridicule in the last ten years.

Brady, Brady, Brady ... Which means it will be the Harbaugh Boyz throwing down in Indy Town. Heard it here first. SF v Ravens.
    I have to agree with the SF pick even though I'm hoping the GMen take it from San Fran. Doubtful but hey, you never know. You're one of the few who are taking the Rayvens over Brady & Co. Could be possible they won't match the intensity of the game last week but I think Brady is going to perform with his usual greatness.

SF vs. Pats

Thought you guys might enjoy this. I could be wrong.

Hitler reacts to the Giants beating the Packers - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Thought you guys might enjoy this. I could be wrong.

Hitler reacts to the Giants beating the Packers - YouTube

It might've been relevant if the Packers were in the Super Bowl.

Hey fellow Lions fans, if anyone is thinking about a Superbowl Viewing Party, I want to invite everyone to Cub's Georgia Street Community Collective. Cub puts together a nice spread of all the right food, beer and pop. He projects the game on a 10 foot screen so you'll be sure of a good viewing of all the action.

If you've never been to Cub's place, you'll be impressed with his set-up. The cost is only $12 a head.

Cubs sounds fun, maybe all the dyes'rs came come and debate.

Ok now we can get back to the Lions.
    What are the weaknesses on the team?
    1. Cant run the ball
    2. Cant stop the run

I think our running game will improve with a healthy LeShoure, the guys has such great potential.
    We need to think about O-lineman as a priority. Drafting were we are could be a nice spot for picking up a good tackle. The rest of our offense is solid.

On the other side of the ball the D-line is solid, hopefully we resign Avril.
    We are weak at outside linebacker and hopefully re-sign Tulloch at midlle linebacker. Either position needs an upgrade. A good linebacker at #21 would be great.
    Another corner would be nice though I think we are in Ok shape there as long as they are healthy.
    One big need I see is another talented safety, after Delmas we are very weak.
    I look forward to free agency and the draft.

Well, Megatron's locked up for the small king's ransom that we knew he was going to get. The presser's later on this afternoon.

So here's to hoping he stays healthy and super productive for the length of his contract. I expect to hear "Stafford to Johnson" quite a bit for the extended future now.

Eric Wright took off to the Bucs. And let's see what other magic that Mayhew can pull off now in the free agent signing period. As long as he doesn't pull off an insane swap like what the Redskins have done recently- I think he should be okay with the amount of cap money relief he's been able to secure. And before we forget, props to the likes of Stafford, Suh & Burleson for re-structuring their contracts to help the team out. It's those subtle nuances that go relatively un-noticed that can build a winning team.

I've seen the news reports on the Megatron deal, but don't know enough about the details to judge for myself. Dapper Dan says it'll free up 9 mil on this year's cap space, but I don't know about next yr let alone what the pact will be in five or seven.

Don't want to sound like a Negative Nancy, but I just don't know enough to have an informed opinion; of course, it is fantastic to have CJ around until 2020 and can't wait until we can look back on the four Lombardi trophies and wipe away a tear.

Mayhew and Lewand deserve our trust until they fuck things up. With that on mind I can't be too upset about Eric Wright. Even letting Tulloch shop hisself around doesn't bother me. The Cliff issue is not good.

I've seen the news reports on the Megatron deal, but don't know enough about the details to judge for myself.
    I don't either but that's not stopping me from being overjoyed we've signed him...heh

The Cliff issue is not good.
    Agreed, though I really hope they get Tulloch signed soon.

While I’m pleasantly happy with the off-season for the Lions, I’m still reserving some judgment here with the brain trust of Mayhew & Lewand.

While it wasn’t totally unforeseen, sadly we had to franchise Cliff Avril. I seriously doubt if anything will get done during the off-season but I have high hopes that something will get nailed down during the season so he doesn’t totally take a hike from us without any sort of compensation. I like Avril’s youth and energy; to play him next to Suh, he’s been the beneficiary of those double teams.

The big splash that I will admit that I adore has been the Calvin Johnson signing. Not only did we lock up the biggest offensive threat in the NFL for what I think will be his full career, the signing was also cap friendly. It gave the Lions some serious flexibility to go out and snare some more free agents. I’ll freely admit to being a Calvin fan too. He’s not some prima donna nor has he been like so many other psycho wide receivers in the league that demand all of the attention either. He’s seriously produced over the last year and I foresee him and Matthew Stafford becoming a force for many years to come.

Now the other off-season re-signings such as Jeff Backus, Shaun Hill, Erik Coleman, and FB James Bryant- I’m less enamored with for now but it’s a solid start for the team in free agency signings. The signing of Backus was a must. He has had more critics than I care to shake a stick at but considering who he faces week after week, he and his fellow O line men have done a pretty solid job in protecting Matthew Stafford last year. Can he and his cohorts run block? Not effectively but then the days of the NFL having big game changers in the backfield seems to have gone the way of the dodo. Shaun Hill was also the other must-have in my opinion. He’s solid, dependable, more than capable, and seems to have the right sort of mentality to be a great back-up QB. Losing Stanton the days prior did make his signing that much more important too. The third string QB isn’t as important yet but I’ll assume the Lions will address that some time soon too.

Erik Coleman? We hardly knew ya from last year. And adding a CFL player in James Bryant is just some insurance for the team. Whether he even makes the 80 man roster remains to be seen.

Unsigned is still Stephen Tulloch. He supposedly wants $6 million a year and something a little longer term. It seems as though a lot of teams aren’t making MLB a priority and his value might be too high. Ex-Seattle free agent David Hawthorne might be a better deal financially but we shall see; he has had an injury wracked career. I did like Tulloch’s involvement with the community for the short time he was here though. He seemed to play with an edge and has an instinct for the ball.

I know the Lions have also entertained a few free agent O linemen Geoff Schwartz and Marcus McNeil and the likes of Ted Ginn, Jr. [[supposedly at the behest of Calvin Johnson too). We lost Eric Wright to the Bucs but give that man a jail sentence for that fleecing. He had the Bucs coughing up $7 million a year- a figure there’s no way we could or would want to match.

But what I’d like to see is the Lions do more than just re-assemble the band from last year. I want to see some upgrades at key positions especially the corners and maybe get some depth for the offense. What we had for a team last year was fun to see but it still wasn’t enough to crack the elite. Going from Millen poor to good isn’t that tough but to take it to that next level [[Super Bowl contender) is going to be a LOT tougher. Let’s see what Mayhew & Lewand can swindle in the upcoming Draft on April 26th. I can foresee some trades if they make sense. Who knows? It might very well be a Corey Williams or even a Sammie Lee Hill getting swapped for some help elsewhere; these two guys have some solid value and we do have some depth there.

Needless to say the off-season has been interesting albeit a little quieter and much safer & cautious than I expected from the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    But what I’d like to see is the Lions do more than just re-assemble the band from last year. I want to see some upgrades at key positions especially the corners and maybe get some depth for the offense. What we had for a team last year was fun to see but it still wasn’t enough to crack the elite.
    It became clear to me last month that the Lions are now at the next level. We cant just go out and get new free agents to fix our weaknesses like we have been doing. We have to fight the thing called The Salary Cap. Its a differant game now, good players want more money and some have to go else were. Who do you keep, who do you sign, its a tough deal.
    You cant call the Lions cheap with the Avril situation. Is Avril taking advantage of double teams on other lineman. Is he really a big time star? I dont know. We have other needs and d-line isnt one of them. It may be in our best interest for him to sign else were and get the draft picks.
    Bottom line is it isnt easy to just go out and grab players anymore.

Glad they got Tulloch signed -- does anyone know the exact terms yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Glad they got Tulloch signed -- does anyone know the exact terms yet?
    Hot damn! It seems as though the only guy we lost from last year is Wright then. I'd still would love some sort of all around upgrade at the CB position. I'll assume that's going to be a draft thing if all things pan out.

And depth is going to be the key to next season.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast