Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

It's times like this that I wonder what Tom "the Killer" Kowlaski would say about the draft. He always had an interesting take on the team especially with breaking down individual picks. I hope he's looking down on the team from high above and smiling at the progress that's been made.

I raise a frosty beverage skyward to you Tom. You made being a Lions fan a helluva lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    It's times like this that I wonder what Tom "the Killer" Kowlaski would say about the draft. He always had an interesting take on the team especially with breaking down individual picks. I hope he's looking down on the team from high above and smiling at the progress that's been made.

I raise a frosty beverage skyward to you Tom. You made being a Lions fan a helluva lot of fun.
    Thats a nice thought and I will drink to Tom.
    I think he would be a little critical of our 2nd pick, but he always was trying to stir things up a bit.
    What sucks is we just started getting good and he isnt around to enjoy it. He is surely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Thats a nice thought and I will drink to Tom.
    I think he would be a little critical of our 2nd pick, but he always was trying to stir things up a bit.
    What sucks is we just started getting good and he isnt around to enjoy it. He is surely missed.
    Yep yep yep. I sure miss that voice and that knowledge that Tom brought to analyzing this team of ours.

I seriously wonder what he would've thought about Stafford's great gesture the last few days in bidding up that auction for charity. It's moments like what Matthew Stafford did that make me feel so darn good about him. Here's a guy who goes out of his way with his money to help a family. That's a real touch of class and I wish more people- not just sports figures would do the same.

Then the flip side of things with Titus Young getting sent to the doghouse for sucker punching Louis Delmas. I can only imagine Kowlaski's diatribe on this subject. He would've probably torched him in an article and made that Broyles pick seem like the Pick of the Century. Seriously, what's this guy thinking? For one, you- the rookie picks a fight with a veteran and then to do it in such a less than honorable way? We all understand that things get physical and can get heated in practice as well as play; team mates can have harsh words and even scrap. Titus Young had better tuck several tails underneath his butt and apologize not just to Delmas but to the entire team as well.

So Tom, I hope you're enjoying the man dramas we've got going with this team. I hope that your 50 years line skybox seat is comfortable and you're still cheering the team on and being critical of them when they need to be. You're sadly missed, Mister Kowalski.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    So Tom, I hope you're enjoying the man dramas we've got going with this team. I hope that your 50 years line skybox seat is comfortable and you're still cheering the team on and being critical of them when they need to be. You're sadly missed, Mister Kowalski.

Some solace for the big guy himself:
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...with_dick.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Some solace for the big guy himself:
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...with_dick.html
    Thanks for the link. Last season I always felt as though Tom was the 12th guy in the field with them. I really wish he was around to help us dissect a winning team. For too many long years Tom had to deal with following such a decrepit team. He did it with such due diligence and professionalism though. In so many ways he had it probably tougher than any beat guy in the NFL. I'm sure reporting on winning teams was a lot more fun and a lot easier to get good sound bytes from. Tom deserved a medal of honor for the time he spent in the trenches with this team. And more times than not, this team wasn't getting out of that trench either.

As much as we fans suffered, he was in the locker room with the team before and sadly after the games too. I never felt as though he had to sugar coat the news either. He was never a Ford Family slappie either. He was the witness to the team's trials and tribulations over the years. He bridged the gap for us fans; Tom brought us closer to the team we all followed. And while there are still some very capable reporters for this team, none will have the personality, fun, knowledge and wit of Tom Kowalski.

For all of those knuckleheads who've run afoul with the law recently- take a page out of your quarterback's playbook:

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/0...eback-athlete/

It was pretty sweet to hear him put Detroit on his back with his speech and heap some praise to the area. Way to represent!