Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Here it is- the 2012 NFL Draft and as God as my witness I have absolutely no idea who the Lions are going to pick. It's not as easy as it was when we were picking within the top five. We're down at 23 now and there have even been rumors of us trading up or down. We have needs as does every team; cornerback, running back, offensive line and best available seem to be consensus as to our early choices.

Whomever the Lions pick, I will admit to liking Mayhew's managerial style so far. He hasn't said much; nothing's been leaked to the press or to other teams. He has yet to show his hand [[with the re-assurance that our first pick will not be a QB) and will remain nimble as the draft board opens up to him. I also have faith that he has worked with the scouts and will select based upon a collective discussion. I don't foresee him ignoring his scouts like his predecessor. I think Mayhew knows that this team is on the precipice of being great. He knows they're good but the next step to being a serious contender is not as easy as it seems [[anyone want to recall the old Jim Kelly Buffalo Bills?).

Let's see what happens tonight as our team prepares to pick what we all will hope is a starter and an impact player for years to come.

I think [[hope) we lucked out with the Iowa tackle. He dropped into our lap quite nicely. Hopefully he can learn to play left tackle but if not he will be a good player for us.
    For the 2nd round I would love to see the north ala CB drop to our pick, probably not but I would pick him. The center from Wis would be a good pick or any other O-lineman. I would love to see a OLB or a safety picked as well.
    We shall see, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I think [[hope) we lucked out with the Iowa tackle. He dropped into our lap quite nicely. Hopefully he can learn to play left tackle but if not he will be a good player for us.
    For the 2nd round I would love to see the north ala CB drop to our pick, probably not but I would pick him. The center from Wis would be a good pick or any other O-lineman. I would love to see a OLB or a safety picked as well.
    We shall see, so far so good.
    I'll say it for Lions Nation... WHAT THE HECK DID WE JUST DRAFT in the second round? A wide receiver??

Huh WHAT?

I've trusted Mayhew for the longest time and still have faith in him but damn, if this doesn't get me scratching my melon now. I was alright with the Riley Reiff ink the first round. It wasn't sexy at all but it showed commitment to keeping Stafford vertical. I get it.

But Ryan Broyles? Now I don't profess to have watch enough college ball to know this guy inside and out. I'm not a member of Sooner Nation, but just based upon the positional need of this team I was shocked to see our team go for a WR at this stage. And for a guy coming off of an ACL tear no less. The Lions medical team had better have cleared this guy but good.

I also get it that Jenkins was off the board but why not snatch up the next best CB in Casey Hayward or Whitney Mercilus who I thought worked out well for the Lions awhile back.

I'm at a loss for words right now. Let's wait and see who they snatch up in the 3rd round. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that why get some defensive help. The issues this team has aren't going to be solved easily in free agency IMO.

Okay the BP has flamed down to a mild simmer with the selection of CB Dwight Bentley. I'm hoping that this throw round pick pans out well because... Lawdy- we sure need to capture lightning in a bottle with this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Okay the BP has flamed down to a mild simmer with the selection of CB Dwight Bentley. I'm hoping that this throw round pick pans out well because... Lawdy- we sure need to capture lightning in a bottle with this position.
    Bleacherreport.com gave the Lions a very generous B for their first three picks.

I would strongly suggest possibly taking a breath and doing a little more research on Broyles though. If it wasn't for his injury [[and from all indications, he's fine) he would've been a first round pick. He very well could be a sleeper find for the slot position but more than likely I can see him being used as a PR/KR for starters. I do agree that using a second round pick for an immediate special teamer seems odd. I'm wondering if the Lions see him replacing a Burleson or Titus Young at some point. A friend of mine even questioned if he's supposed to dispel the Calvin Johnson/ Madden video game soon-to-be curse.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Bleacherreport.com gave the Lions a very generous B for their first three picks.

I would strongly suggest possibly taking a breath and doing a little more research on Broyles though. If it wasn't for his injury [[and from all indications, he's fine) he would've been a first round pick. He very well could be a sleeper find for the slot position but more than likely I can see him being used as a PR/KR for starters. I do agree that using a second round pick for an immediate special teamer seems odd. I'm wondering if the Lions see him replacing a Burleson or Titus Young at some point. A friend of mine even questioned if he's supposed to dispel the Calvin Johnson/ Madden video game soon-to-be curse.
    I get it. Broyles is what they would call a value pick. He's the best player on the board. Sure, I'll give it up to Mayhew for having a plan and sticking with it; he doesn't pull off any offbeat, crazy ass Draft Day surprises like Millen- but I'm still going to be gun shy any time the Lions draft a wide receiver early on in the Draft.

As a replacement for any of the current receivers? I hope not. I've always thought that a second round pick shouldn't be a luxury pick for depth. Second rounders should be able to step in immediately and start. With as many quality receivers as we have on this team already he's either going to be hard pressed to see time on the field or be the kick off & punt guy for awhile- and then he's still got to supplant Stefan Logan. And with the new kick off rules- most return guys have been stymied already so I'm not sure where Broyles is going to get the turf time to impress us.

And yeah, we've tasted a bit of the good life by having a much improved team now. We saw what it was like to be in a post season game. So now we want some immediacy. I'm still going to be scratching my head about this pick and my faith in Mayhew is going to be tested.

Damn. What's the world coming to when Drew Sharp and I are thinking the same thing?

http://www.freep.com/article/2012042...-available-WR-

It's surely one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

I was enraged on Friday, but now I like this draft. Broyles has the potential to be a star playing next to Calvin. And the trio of Megatron, Titus and Broyle could be the best in the league in two years.

Besides, no other CB that was on the board stood out as an instant starter. I personally wanted them to trade up 15 spots in the 2nd to get J. Jenkins, but they cost might have been too high [[2nd & 3rd minimum).

Of course no one will know anything until training camp, preseason and ultimately when the real games start.

I really like our draft. Broyles really has all pro potential and in a pass happy league with a elite QB its a good chioce for us. Of course the knee was an issue but I am sure we did our homework on that.
    With the salary cap, getting a first rounder in the 2nd round is helpfull, lets hope he comes in 100%
    The center from Wisc or the tackle from OSU could have been nice picks at #2 as well.
    Stacking CB's and OLBs with the rest of the picks was good, hopefully a couple of those guy have great careers.
    At this point a solid saftey would be nice

What I heard today is that Broyles will most likely be replacing Burleson after this year. Burleson re-structured his contract thru this season but after this year he is due a lot of money which the Lions aren't going to want to pay, and they figure to stick Broyles in there. By that time he should really be healed. Plus he can return punts.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I was enraged on Friday, but now I like this draft. Broyles has the potential to be a star playing next to Calvin. And the trio of Megatron, Titus and Broyle could be the best in the league in two years.

Besides, no other CB that was on the board stood out as an instant starter. I personally wanted them to trade up 15 spots in the 2nd to get J. Jenkins, but they cost might have been too high [[2nd & 3rd minimum).

Of course no one will know anything until training camp, preseason and ultimately when the real games start.
    I'm not going to say I'm miffed at this year's draft but I heard one disconcerting thing on the radio that could very well be true- and that NONE of this class will be a starter this year.

Sure, I guess that's a sign that this team is good but wouldn't you think that there would at least be one of these new players that could contribute immediately?

I think Reiff will start at right tackle by mid season. The rest who knows.
    They all will contribute with the CB's possibly more then we think.

I'm not going to say I'm miffed at this year's draft but I heard one disconcerting thing on the radio that could very well be true- and that NONE of this class will be a starter this year.

Sure, I guess that's a sign that this team is good but wouldn't you think that there would at least be one of these new players that could contribute immediately?
    I've read that Bentley could be a starter.

It's times like this that I wonder what Tom "the Killer" Kowlaski would say about the draft. He always had an interesting take on the team especially with breaking down individual picks. I hope he's looking down on the team from high above and smiling at the progress that's been made.

I raise a frosty beverage skyward to you Tom. You made being a Lions fan a helluva lot of fun.

It's times like this that I wonder what Tom "the Killer" Kowlaski would say about the draft. He always had an interesting take on the team especially with breaking down individual picks. I hope he's looking down on the team from high above and smiling at the progress that's been made.

I raise a frosty beverage skyward to you Tom. You made being a Lions fan a helluva lot of fun.
    Thats a nice thought and I will drink to Tom.
    I think he would be a little critical of our 2nd pick, but he always was trying to stir things up a bit.
    What sucks is we just started getting good and he isnt around to enjoy it. He is surely missed.

Thats a nice thought and I will drink to Tom.
    I think he would be a little critical of our 2nd pick, but he always was trying to stir things up a bit.
    What sucks is we just started getting good and he isnt around to enjoy it. He is surely missed.
    Yep yep yep. I sure miss that voice and that knowledge that Tom brought to analyzing this team of ours.

I seriously wonder what he would've thought about Stafford's great gesture the last few days in bidding up that auction for charity. It's moments like what Matthew Stafford did that make me feel so darn good about him. Here's a guy who goes out of his way with his money to help a family. That's a real touch of class and I wish more people- not just sports figures would do the same.

Then the flip side of things with Titus Young getting sent to the doghouse for sucker punching Louis Delmas. I can only imagine Kowlaski's diatribe on this subject. He would've probably torched him in an article and made that Broyles pick seem like the Pick of the Century. Seriously, what's this guy thinking? For one, you- the rookie picks a fight with a veteran and then to do it in such a less than honorable way? We all understand that things get physical and can get heated in practice as well as play; team mates can have harsh words and even scrap. Titus Young had better tuck several tails underneath his butt and apologize not just to Delmas but to the entire team as well.

So Tom, I hope you're enjoying the man dramas we've got going with this team. I hope that your 50 years line skybox seat is comfortable and you're still cheering the team on and being critical of them when they need to be. You're sadly missed, Mister Kowalski.

I agree Smogboy, I just heard about the fight at lunch. I dont even know the details but I immediately thought about Titus Young being a bit punkish last year. He is a heck of a talent but needs to grow up.
    Regarding Tom, last year in April I found out my major heart artery [[widow maker) was 90% blocked. Being 49 at the time it was a bit of a shock. Not that long after I had my stent is when Tom died. I assumed he had the same problem and didnt know it.
    Please, to all you middle aged people who dont go to doctors, get one and have a physical. I got lucky, poor Tom didnt.

I dunno about anyone else here and maybe it's my age but what the hell is going on with these young men [[and maybe it's also a societal thing too)? Fairley getting busted again? C'mon- are you that ignorant? Are you that stupid? Are you that ignorant to the fact that your team is under the microscope for bad behavior already? You'd think that between now and the beginning of training camp you'd keep your sh!t straight- but NOoOOOOo [[my best John Belushi imitation), you had to go drive 100 MPH eluding the cops in your home state.

I can only imagine what Martin Mayhew thought when he got the message. I can only imagine Jim Schwartz' BP going through the roof when that phone call came in. I honestly feel for the Detroit Lions' brass when it comes to this stuff. They try to do everything on the up & up, teach these young men how to behave on and off the field and yet somehow it fails to register with them. The possibility that LeShoure & now Fairley might miss a few games because of off field stupidity is for real now.

As a fan, if these guys and their absence can cost this team a victory seriously pisses me off. So these guys get a couple of bucks yanked from their already fattened wallets for missing these games, but as a long suffering fan who actually has some raised expectations and some measure of hope that this team's dark days are finally behind them- I'm pissed off that because of their actions it might cost us a game or two.

I'm hoping that the players themselves will root this issue out. I'm sure that Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz [[and maybe Bill Ford Jr.) will address it to some degree but I'm hoping the leaders of the team will take it amongst themselves to rally everyone together. Call it an intervention if you want but a simple back alley ass kicking with some of these selfish players needs to happen. Their actions impact not just the team but also affects us loyal fans too.

Fairly is a problem that needs to be addressed. Now we know why he was drafted lower then expected. If I could get a 2nd round pick for him I would trade him and cut our loses. I'm sure he was going to be suspended before the DUI, now its for how many games.
    The problem is that all of our top young players are turning out to be idiots.

I saw this quote in the Freep from Martin Mayhew this morning:

“I’ve said from the very beginning: Our goal is to have a long-term deal done with Cliff Avril,” Mayhew said. “That’s what our goal is, and we’ve been working toward that the entire time. I don’t think the ball’s in anybody’s court. I think the ball’s in everybody’s court. We’re trying to get a long-term deal done.”
    I like Mayhew's moxie. He doesn't come out and blame Avril by saying the ball is in his court nor does he say that the Lions have the full responsibility to have a contract signed. He puts the shoulder of responsibility of both parties to get it done. It's a subtle thing but he at least comes across as civil, smart and seems to take charge. I'm sure Cliff Avril will want more money and more security- whether he does or not in the span of the negotiations his camp has got to at least respect the Lions for willing to talk things through in a responsible way.

Hats off to Martin Mayhew for being savvy here.

The problem is that all of our top young players are turning out to be idiots.
    The silver lining to all of this is that at least it's just our youngsters. It beats the hell out of having our veterans be total flaming jerks. By no means am I excusing them for their bone headed moves but at least the veterans on the team have seemed to have made an effort to corral these individuals and give them that mature talk that I think more young people need to heed. The veteran players have at least tried to impart some wisdom as opposed to having the front office come down and smack them around; it's got to be better coming from a peer as opposed to The Man.

We can only hope that these youngsters understand the long term implications of their actions, how it impacts this team, their fans and their long term careers [[earning potential).

Hats off to Martin Mayhew for being savvy here.
    I'm about as optimistic about the Lions and their plans as it gets but let's also be realistic in the sense that Martin Mayhew's next steps will be his toughest challenge. Yes, he's proven that he's not Matt Millen's shadow. Yes, he's proven that he can take an 0-16 team and get them to a playoff game. Yes, he's proven he can draft some quality players in the early rounds [[I think the jury is still out on some of his third round and later picks). And while the press corps might grumble a little bit because of the lack of information being "leaked", most of us fans respect that he's not going to manage via the press. Mayhew seems to have a very direct line to the players and isn't afraid to talk to them.

But what he has to do now is to take this team up another level for this upcoming year. Can he produce a team that can win a playoff game and maybe even threaten to make it to the Super Bowl? A lot of talented teams rise, challenge but end up slinking away because of salary cap issues, free agency, and just league parity.

Now if Mayhew can overcome this huge hurdle and somehow deliver us a championship, he'll be regaled as the Silver Savior. He'll definitely be bigger than Dumars, Dombrowski, and Holland. This town is so hungry for a Lions championship. We've placed a lot of hope into Mayhew and his brain trust. He's done a lot of things right and he's been forgiven for some of the lesser grievances, but let's not relax our expectations of the ultimate goal- a Super Bowl championship for this team of ours.

Its one thing to build a team that is awful. You have high draft picks, free agency potential and no salary cap problems. The real challange is divvy up the money with a bunch of good players and a salary cap. Every financial decision is critical and paying big bucks to guys like Avril are challenging. You also have to get max performance from the guys you have. When you have big contracts to players like LeShoure and Fairly and they dont contribute it is frustrating and causes big problems.
    We are going to find out if this team is a flash in the pan or a long time winner. It all depends on the front office.

I'm gettin' a bad feeling about this year, don't know if it a hangover from the Tigers and their Prince Fielder trade that held such promise or if it is the potheads/hotheads and their suspensions ... but whatever it is, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I'm gettin' a bad feeling about this year, don't know if it a hangover from the Tigers and their Prince Fielder trade that held such promise or if it is the potheads/hotheads and their suspensions ... but whatever it is, it is.
    Gnome your having that feeling becuase we are Lions fans, its the only feeling we know.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast