Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    even Lansing seems to agree that the economic turnouround this state finally appears to be starting is tied to sales of automobiles, not corporate tax structure.
    And the sales of those automobiles? Those loans are being bundled into tranches by big banks and sold to investors as AAA-rated ....

Have we been here before?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    And the sales of those automobiles? Those loans are being bundled into tranches by big banks and sold to investors as AAA-rated ....

...so easily forgotten when the money starts coming back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

Do you think all collateralized debt obligations are the same? Do you have information that leads you to believe that auto-loan pools are being mis-rated? Or was this just a little free association brain burp?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Do you think all collateralized debt obligations are the same? Do you have information that leads you to believe that auto-loan pools are being mis-rated? Or was this just a little free association brain burp?
    Oh, no. I think that, just like last time, the self-correcting system will work. Just as when Moody's and other ratings agencies held themselves to strict standards, and Wall Street rejected obscene, short-term profits in the name of service to the public, this obviously couldn't be anything disastrous in the making.

I wonder if this was a tit for tat. The automobile companies would say "we will give you billions for a surplus if you cancel plans for the light rail

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I wonder if this was a tit for tat. The automobile companies would say "we will give you billions for a surplus if you cancel plans for the light rail
    You're aware the automakers sell their cars in places other than Detroit, right? Just checking....

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    You're aware the automakers sell their cars in places other than Detroit, right? Just checking....
    Their headquarters are here in Michigan. Michigan as to be the poster child of a totally car dependent state.

Their headquarters are here in Michigan. Michigan as to be the poster child of a totally car dependent state.
    Don't get me wrong. I am pro GM, Chrysler, and Ford, I am glad that american made cars are selling more than the imports. The big 3 should have a role in the redeveloping of this city. I just don't want some backroom deal made to make this city more car dependent and shutting out anyone who would rather use mass transit as their means of transportation. Many people who move here from the east coast would rather travel that way.

bartock Guest

This is the best conspiracy theory ever. Ever.