Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What does artery clogging food have to do with a persons nationality?
    Why you know, its the chaldeans and albanians that make this stuff. You should know its better to eat carb-laden fatty breads/mac and cheese from panera, and wash it down with a $4 cafine charged coffee drink!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    No, its not showing. If you want to continue to eat that deep fried artery clogging shit where you get served behind a bullet proof window, go ahead. The anti-corportate people on this thread are the reason why Detroit is so ass backwards. Bring more locally owned bullet proof coneys!!!
    Panera is one of the unhealthiest chains out there. On an apples-to-apples basis, it usually ranks as bad or worse than fast-food burger joints. You might as well eat a Big Mac and Large Fries.

It's also pretty medicore, IMO. Ok in a pinch when you're doing a road trip or something, but hardly a desirable choice.

And this thread is a pretty good example of why I think many folks on DYes don't actually get how cities are revitalized. They most certainly aren't revitalzed by more generic out-of-state mall chains like Panera or Cheesecake Factory.

You want to keep the money in the region, not have it sucked out to some exurban hinterland in Missouri.

Ya know what... it gets tiresome listening to all the "local stores keep money in the region" mantra that is a common thread that runs thru DYES... Detroit is often lucky to get ANY stores, and yet so many here thumb their noses at out of town stores and restaurants. Funny that.

Let's take a look at Chicago's Magnificent Mile.... about half of all the businesses are national or international chains... we should be so lucky to ever have even a fraction of what Michigan Ave. in Chicago has...
    http://www.themagnificentmile.com/shopping/

It takes a German chain such as Aldi's to make a go of it in Detroit [[where other retailers fear to tread)... and yet we quibble about our desire for "local" retailers.... and then also complain why Detroit has been bypassed by chains such as the ESPN Zone or the friggin' Cheesecake Factory...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ya know what... it gets tiresome listening to all the "local stores keep money in the region" mantra that is a common thread that runs thru DYES... Detroit is often lucky to get ANY stores, and yet so many here thumb their noses at out of town stores and restaurants. Funny that.

Let's take a look at Chicago's Magnificent Mile.... about half of all the businesses are national or international chains... we should be so lucky to ever have even a fraction of what Michigan Ave. in Chicago has...

It takes a German chain such as Aldi's to make a go of it in Detroit [[where other retailers fear to tread)... and yet we quibble about our desire for "local" retailers.... and then also complain why Detroit has been bypassed by chains such as the ESPN Zone or the friggin' Cheesecake Factory...
    Thread over

"we need a healthy soup/sandwich place
    http://www.mudgiesdeli.com/

http://www.russellstreetdeli.com/

As rents go up so do the number of national chains. It's like this in practically every major city in the US. Typically independent businesses end up on the downtown periphery or in the neighborhoods. Any non-chain type of retailer or restaurant that moves into a downtown or shopping destination corridor is usually high-end or fine dining respectively.

I agree, beggars can't be choosers. A panera would be great downtown. Problem is, I don't think there are enough people working and living [[downtown*) to support it.
    Last edited by wolverine; January-02-12 at 03:04 PM.

SteveJ Guest

Thank you.

Downtown [[walking distance). And I was really commenting on how sad it is we have to resort to begging for a place to spend our money. Wish Eph's was still open.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Hello,

This most likely will appear as a low-priority on residents 'Detroit's Needs' list, but I have taken it upon myself to attempt at luring a Panera Bread to the City of Detroit, by showing interest on the Facebook group site. I believe that having a Panera Bread in the city will showcase that the city can handle the businesses of today. Also, it will help to increase foot traffic if it gets built and add yet another restaurant option to Detroit.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-...85190128246212
    i feel like you bring up the question between corporate or local. panera to avalon. starbucks to astro. i commend your efforts but id rather go with the people who came without being asked to.

I appear to be in the minority here with my plebian tastes, but I like Panera bread. I can get a "You pick two" for $6.50 or so and it's good and, [[for fast food), healthy --

"This bakery-cafe-based eatery wowed our judges with a comprehensive menu of healthy choices for every meal." http://www.health.com/health/article...411588,00.html

But then again, I'll probably be eating at Panera the day I leave Whole Foods after my shopping trip.

It seems as though people are siding with one or the other here with having a national chain like Panera show up here in Detroit. Why can't we have an environment where there is both a national chain and a local merchant on the same block? Each has its own unique niche doesn't it? For the ones that want Panera, they can go there. For the people that want a little more down home, go to the Mudgie's or Russell Streets.

I'm for better dining downtown regardless if it's a national chain or not. It's about the food and the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'm for better dining downtown regardless if it's a national chain or not. It's about the food and the experience.
    I think most of us would agree with this. Chains should be welcome downtown.

But the thread singled out a petition for a national fast-food chain in favor of local independents. I think that's the point of disagreement. Why should we favor national chains over the homegrown choices?

Ravine Guest

Goddamit, if someone says we need more locally-based businesses to thrive, around here, some of you will leap up and say, "Sure, but what we really need is a Whole Foods!! A Cheesecake Factory!! We need these places that are up & running in other cities to come here, too!!"
    Then, when someone says that they would like a Panera Bread to open in Detroit, oh, now we get all passionate about wanting locally-based places with local folks working in them, local local local, and the discussion even slumps into race-based bickering before jumping over into whether or not Panera's menu is suitably healthy enough, which I suppose may be a significant issue, because when you drive everywhere, even to the corner store, and are too fucking lazy to even walk from the far end of a parking lot [[oh no!! just what we need, and simultaneously abhor!! more parking lots!!,) counting calories and steering clear of fatty foods is important, lest we drop dead en route from our desk-top computers to the fridge or while leaning forward to grab the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Goddamit, if someone says we need more locally-based businesses to thrive, around here, some of you will leap up and say, "Sure, but what we really need is a Whole Foods!! A Cheesecake Factory!! We need these places that are up & running in other cities to come here, too!!"
    Then, when someone says that they would like a Panera Bread to open in Detroit, oh, now we get all passionate about wanting locally-based places with local folks working in them, local local local, and the discussion even slumps into race-based bickering before jumping over into whether or not Panera's menu is suitably healthy enough, which I suppose may be a significant issue, because when you drive everywhere, even to the corner store, and are too fucking lazy to even walk from the far end of a parking lot [[oh no!! just what we need, and simultaneously abhor!! more parking lots!!,) counting calories and steering clear of fatty foods is important, lest we drop dead en route from our desk-top computers to the fridge or while leaning forward to grab the remote.
    Ummm, you mad?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    No, its not showing. If you want to continue to eat that deep fried artery clogging shit where you get served behind a bullet proof window, go ahead. The anti-corportate people on this thread are the reason why Detroit is so ass backwards. Bring more locally owned bullet proof coneys!!!

Thats funny....the Coney Island I am eating at right now has no bullet proof glass between me and the workers. In fact they actually *gaps* come and serve me at an actual table where I am on a wireless network. Not bad for a Coney Island in the D that is owned by Albanians. They actually have healthy alternatives on the menu as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think most of us would agree with this. Chains should be welcome downtown.

But the thread singled out a petition for a national fast-food chain in favor of local independents. I think that's the point of disagreement. Why should we favor national chains over the homegrown choices?
    Agreed. It's not that I'm against chains I welcome any business that wants to open in the city. I just don't understand these we need a Cheesecake Factory, ESPNZone, etc threads and why we put these places on pedestal

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Ummm, you mad?
    No, actually, I'm not.

What, you've never seen "Ravine, Mad?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    No, actually, I'm not.

What, you've never seen "Ravine, Mad?"
    Nah, I don't watch movies very often...

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Why can't we have an environment where there is both a national chain and a local merchant on the same block?
    Look at you, making sense and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    I appear to be in the minority here with my plebian tastes, but I like Panera bread. I can get a "You pick two" for $6.50 or so and it's good and, [[for fast food), healthy --

"This bakery-cafe-based eatery wowed our judges with a comprehensive menu of healthy choices for every meal." http://www.health.com/health/article...411588,00.html

But then again, I'll probably be eating at Panera the day I leave Whole Foods after my shopping trip.
    Me too, Roq. But I very much have a "when in Rome" mentality when it comes to food. I do Panera and Whole Foods while visiting my family in the 'burbs, but in Detroit, Avalon and Harbortown Market are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why you know, its the chaldeans and albanians that make this stuff. You should know its better to eat carb-laden fatty breads/mac and cheese from panera, and wash it down with a $4 cafine charged coffee drink!
    I caught that, too. Man, it's hard for those of us who didn't win the ethnic birth lottery... now, it's the Chaldeans and Albanians' fault for Detroit not having any healthy food options? I say we invite more people from Eastern Europe and the Middle East to come here, and treat them well. I like the fact that I can get great Polish, Lebanese, and all kinds of other cuisines in my metro area.

Having said that, Panera would do well on WSU's campus if they wanted to come. There's a few vacant spaces on Cass and Anthony Wayne, and I see Timmy Ho's is opening across from Old Main. So you never know.

Default Finance it, and they will come...

Finance it, and they will come...

Qualification Criteria

Applicants must meet these criteria to gain consideration for a Panera Bread franchise:
    • Experience as a multi-unit restaurant operator
    • Recognition as a top restaurant operator
    • Net worth of $7.5 million
    • Liquid assets of $3 million
    • Infrastructure and resources to meet our development schedule
    • Real estate experience in the market to be developed
    • Total commitment to the development of the Panera Bread brand
    • Cultural fit and a passion for fresh bread

Cultural Fit? AKA Neighborhoods with lots of people with disposable income, preferably white.

What I'm enjoying is reading this thread where almost everyone is bitching about someone thinking a chain restaurant would be desirable in Detroit, while on another thread people are complaining about the newest local restaurant that just opened yesterday.

Healthy regions have local and national businesses. We should welcome all, though certainly we need a healthy share of local businesses. There is nothing wrong with the occasional 'you pick 2' however.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast