Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Cultural Fit? AKA Neighborhoods with lots of people with disposable income, preferably white.
    Don't pull an abdominal muscle while wrenching out your own inferences.

bartock Guest

Cultural Fit? AKA Neighborhoods with lots of people with disposable income, preferably white.

That was taken from the application to be a franchisee, I think. So the "cultural fit" refers to the individual or company putting up the franchise money. "Cultural fit" is the corporate culture of Panera. As with any franchise, you need the $$ just to apply to be a franchise owner.

Who gives a shit what it is? Just fill up one of hundreds of fucking vacant store fronts. Fuck people!

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Who gives a shit what it is? Just fill up one of hundreds of fucking vacant store fronts. Fuck people!
    Now tell us how you really feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Don't pull an abdominal muscle while wrenching out your own inferences.
    I'm just sayin' that you don't see these things everywhere. Its usually in areas with high income. The only one I've seen in an area thats racially integrated is the one on Greenfield in Southfield/Oak Park area.

Regarding the local vs chain debate, I'd think the first question you need to ask is "Will this business be successful?" Naturally I'd love it if these were all locally owned, but realistically the trand for the last 25-30 years has been consolidation and sameness.

Incidentally there is a new book out by a local planner who looks at these issues:
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/prin...l+robert+gibbs
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-04-12 at 01:40 PM.

I'm just sayin' that you don't see these things everywhere. Its usually in areas with high income. The only one I've seen in an area thats racially integrated is the one on Greenfield in Southfield/Oak Park area.
    I believe there's two Paneras in Southern Southfield; one on Greenfield & 9-10 Mile, and one on Southfield and 11 Mile.

I wouldn't even call these areas particularly integrated or diverse. They're African American neighborhoods, and primarily serve an African American consumer [[though the weekday traffic is probably more diverse, due to commuter traffic and some office sites). So I doubt race plays a major role in Panera's site selection process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I believe there's two Paneras in Southern Southfield; one on Greenfield & 9-10 Mile, and one on Southfield and 11 Mile.

I wouldn't even call these areas particularly integrated or diverse. They're African American neighborhoods, and primarily serve an African American consumer [[though the weekday traffic is probably more diverse, due to commuter traffic and some office sites). So I doubt race plays a major role in Panera's site selection process.

There is also the "Panera Cares" location in Dearborn:

http://www.dearbornfreepress.com/201...ommunity-cafe/

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Now tell us how you really feel.
    Sounds more like someone who needs to start monitoring their blood pressure...

Regarding the local vs chain debate, I'd think the first question you need to ask is "Will this business be successful?" Naturally I'd love it if these were all locally owned, but realistically the trand for the last 25-30 years has been consolidation and sameness.

Incidentally there is a new book out by a local planner who looks at these issues:
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/prin...l+robert+gibbs
    The local restaurants usually have staying power. National chains dont in this city.Fishbones, Marios Elias Brothers, Zefs, had lasted for years while Bennegans, Red Lobster, and others don't. I was in support of national chain stores and restaurant opening in the city. I am now for good, decent independently owned restaurants and stores opening up in the city with a sprinkle of national name brands and chains here and there

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    What about the fact that most small business owners offer no benefits, low wages, and the owner reaps all the rewards. People can hype up small business' all they want but they royally screw their employees. I always tell people if you get a job, find a big corporation or the government, small business will pay you dirt wages while the owner pockets everything and lives in a 4k sq ft house in Troy.
    This is a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sounds more like someone who needs to start monitoring their blood pressure...
    I would rather have a local biz down here. But if it's a corporate place, I really don't GAF.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    This is a joke, right?
    One of many DY Rules Of Thumb:

If it seems like the writer surely was joking, the writer was probably entirely serious; if the writer advertised their post [[or the contents of an attached link) as being hilarious, it will not be even remotely half-amusing.

And, while I'm here, Thumbs-Up to Planner3357 on that last remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I would rather have a local biz down here. But if it's a corporate place, I really don't GAF.
    Well with that I can agree...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3