Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Edit. Ok. Its Farmington trying to opt out. They want to partner up with FH, Livonia, and Novi I think. Hills voted SMART thru less than a year ago. Anyone know how long before it goes back on the table for FH?
    Wow. So because of the last round of cuts, they're talking about opting out, which will lead to more cuts, which will lead to more opt-outs, which...fucking cause and effect, how does it work?

Here's more info [[sorry about the Farmington vs Farmington Hills snaffu):

http://farmington-mi.patch.com/artic...-the-smart-bus

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...ART-bus-system

I wonder if they are talking about cutting that Grand River line that ran thru Farmington on up thru Farmington Hills...?
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I'll be screwed? Do you have a link with more info? What about Grand River, 12 mile?
    12 & Farmington there is a WSU satellite campus and OCC. Im not sure what I will do if this happens. I rely on SMART to get to school.

Edit. Ok. Its Farmington trying to opt out. They want to partner up with FH, Livonia, and Novi I think. Hills voted SMART thru less than a year ago. Anyone know how long before it goes back on the table for FH?
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-04-12 at 01:59 AM.

Sounds like there may be some truth to the drastic lost of SMART bus riders. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't ever remember getting a solicitation from SMART to ride their bus.

Just received this e-mail today:

Join the thousands of commuters who find SMART buses not only convenient, but a more economical and safer way to travel.

Every New Year we make resolutions to be healthier, save money or to be more environmentally aware. Why not achieve all three goals by riding SMART? You'll save money on gas, you'll free yourself from the headache of driving and you'll contribute to fewer polluting emissions in the air.

Be ready for this New Year by planning your routes ahead of time. Use the SMART Trip Planner to map out your route so you're ready to ride. If you don't live near a bus stop, don't worry, try one of our many park and ride lots! Keep your resolution going strong and purchase a SMART bus pass for added convenience and commitment to riding SMART.

SMART offers first-rate and convenient commuter service into the city of Detroit during peak morning and afternoon rush hours. Nearly 70% of SMART riders' destinations are work or school and more than 50% of riders choose the bus over their own vehicle.

See our convenient Rider Guide for easy, comprehensive help on scheduling and planning your route. For more information, talk with an operator to guide you through your trip planning process at [[866) 962-5515.

Make a New Years Resolution you CAN keep! Be Healthier, Go Green,
    Save Green
    ...Take SMART!

SMART has been broken since Nov. 2006. The problem is this opt-in/opt-out system.
    Steve Schwartz tried to get the Macomb Model in OC on the ballot in 2009. Imagine if Detroit and Wayne county were the last pieces of the puzzle now, it would be great.

Looks like their Google Maps bus stops were frozen on pre-December 12, for example, click on the bus icon at Biddle & Northline [[Ford) in Wyandotte and route 135 is still on there even though it is now discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by jhartmich View Post
    Sounds like there may be some truth to the drastic lost of SMART bus riders. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't ever remember getting a solicitation from SMART to ride their bus.

Just received this e-mail today:

Join the thousands of commuters who find SMART buses not only convenient, but a more economical and safer way to travel.

Every New Year we make resolutions to be healthier, save money or to be more environmentally aware. Why not achieve all three goals by riding SMART? You'll save money on gas, you'll free yourself from the headache of driving and you'll contribute to fewer polluting emissions in the air.

Be ready for this New Year by planning your routes ahead of time. Use the SMART Trip Planner to map out your route so you're ready to ride. If you don't live near a bus stop, don't worry, try one of our many park and ride lots! Keep your resolution going strong and purchase a SMART bus pass for added convenience and commitment to riding SMART.

SMART offers first-rate and convenient commuter service into the city of Detroit during peak morning and afternoon rush hours. Nearly 70% of SMART riders' destinations are work or school and more than 50% of riders choose the bus over their own vehicle.

See our convenient Rider Guide for easy, comprehensive help on scheduling and planning your route. For more information, talk with an operator to guide you through your trip planning process at [[866) 962-5515.

Make a New Years Resolution you CAN keep! Be Healthier, Go Green,
    Save Green
    ...Take SMART!
    When was the last time DDOT had advertised it's bus system such as SMART had done? What is the 60's or 70s? DDot was not serious about promoting bus riding for a very long time.

That Great Guy Guest

I'm hoping this tax gets raised from 0.59 to 1.0 mil next August. But, I think 1.8 mil which is what the Transportation Riders United wants is better. This is because we should have evening and weekend service and a bus every 15 minutes along routes like Michigan Ave that serve downtown Detroit.

I live and work along Michigan Ave and am willing to support a higher property tax for SMART, if we can get better service.

I'm also opposed to expanding freeways without safe and affordable public bus service.

I don't know yet if this tax will get raised but if so, I think SMART should try and restore service and get more riders, in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2