Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tear that schitt down.
    Oh wait, I forgot, salvageable landmarks like the Lafayette are far more important to raze. I hope some wealthy Grosse Pointer sues over the toxic fumes.

I completely agree. The city is using money to tear down buildings that do not pose an immediate issue, while spending $1.4 million to tear down the Lafayette Building.

While it is unfortunate that the situation has come to this, most of the Packard Plant absolutely has to be torn down. Not only is the structure a safety hazard, but it is also sits on a huge environmental brownfield that will need to be addressed, too.

The Packard Plant needs to go for sure, but I read somewhere that it would cost way too much for the demo and clean up with all the chemicals and trash. The Packard Plant catches fire about once every month so hopefully it burns itself down!

Attachment 4860

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I completely agree. The city is using money to tear down buildings that do not pose an immediate issue, while spending $1.4 million to tear down the Lafayette Building.

While it is unfortunate that the situation has come to this, most of the Packard Plant absolutely has to be torn down. Not only is the structure a safety hazard, but it is also sits on a huge environmental brownfield that will need to be addressed, too.
    You have to prioritize. And no matter what people think about the demolition of the Lafayette, the obvious graffitti filled windows had nothing to do with the choice to demo? Think about it. What kind of image did that building represent? And in the CBD, where efforts are being made, albiet small and insignificant, to actually fix things.

And the location of the Packard on the east side is exactly why nothing will be done there. Ever. Lots of talk here in the past about ruin parks and stuff like that; there's the spot for it.

MichMatters Guest

You know, when I here these stories, as morbid as it may sound, I wish for the thing to just burn down. But, it's far to solid and huge for that to ever happen from just one fire.

Stosh is right. Because of its location, it won't ever see any kind of attention paid to it. Really, the indifference is worst than either the idea of wanting to tear this down or attempt to refurbish it in phases. Does anyone know what kind of zoning appears on these parcels in the city's masterplan? I'd be very interested to see if there is any change in zoning, if any at all.

Thank you Dennis Archer.

Eye sore at its finest. The poor east side gets little attention for revitalization efforts

Attachment 4861

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    You have to prioritize. And no matter what people think about the demolition of the Lafayette, the obvious graffitti filled windows had nothing to do with the choice to demo? Think about it. What kind of image did that building represent? And in the CBD, where efforts are being made, albiet small and insignificant, to actually fix things.

And the location of the Packard on the east side is exactly why nothing will be done there. Ever. Lots of talk here in the past about ruin parks and stuff like that; there's the spot for it.
    Stosh, I do agree that the city needs to prioritize. To me, it is clear that the Lafayette demolition was precipitated by the Book-Cadillac renovation. The developers sunk a huge amount of money into what many would consider a very risky investment, and the DEGC probably responded to pressure from the developer to bring the building down. So the DEGC is taking down the building to make the developers/owners of the Westin happy.

I understand that Packard plant is not in a great location, and I agree that the city should prioritize the CBD. However, I do think that the city needs to consider the environmental impact that the Packard site is having on the entire city and in some cases, the whole metro region. For example, the news article posted above indicated that Grosse Pointe residents had been told to keep indoors for some time because of possibly toxins in the air from the fire. Undoubtedly, any toxins would have an even far greater impact on the people living in the city.

Moreover, if cleared and remediated, the Packard plant site would provide the city with an enormous blank slate of property to eventually develop. Right now, the site only presents a safety hazard and produces no revenue for the city [[I doubt the one remaining concern in the plant pays much, if any rent, and I doubt the owner pays any taxes, given that the ownership has not even been clear at many times). This is a major problem for the city that it must eventually address.

Stosh Guest

Stosh, I do agree that the city needs to prioritize. To me, it is clear that the Lafayette demolition was precipitated by the Book-Cadillac renovation. The developers sunk a huge amount of money into what many would consider a very risky investment, and the DEGC probably responded to pressure from the developer to bring the building down. So the DEGC is taking down the building to make the developers/owners of the Westin happy.

I understand that Packard plant is not in a great location, and I agree that the city should prioritize the CBD. However, I do think that the city needs to consider the environmental impact that the Packard site is having on the entire city and in some cases, the whole metro region. For example, the news article posted above indicated that Grosse Pointe residents had been told to keep indoors for some time because of possibly toxins in the air from the fire. Undoubtedly, any toxins would have an even far greater impact on the people living in the city.

Moreover, if cleared and remediated, the Packard plant site would provide the city with an enormous blank slate of property to eventually develop. Right now, the site only presents a safety hazard and produces no revenue for the city [[I doubt the one remaining concern in the plant pays much, if any rent, and I doubt the owner pays any taxes, given that the ownership has not even been clear at many times). This is a major problem for the city that it must eventually address.
    The east side has been "ground non grata" as it were for at least 30 years. Starting with the demo of Dodge Main and Poletown, installing and running the incinerator, Jefferson North land clearance, etc.

I can feel sorry for the Grosse Pointe residents up to a point. If they had some influence over the past 30+ years concerning the aforementioned disinvestment politically, they should have done so. Perhaps it wouldn't have gotten to this point? Maybe the neighborhood wouldn't have gone to hell? Maybe there would have still have been businesses there? Maybe Archer wouldnt have shut it down, who knows....

It's all like setting dominoes on end then knocking them down. Grosse Pointe is just another domino in the chain of unintended [[or intended?) consequences foisted upon the region by the criminal leadership of the area.

They should start demo on a small scale. Nobody says that it needs to all be done at once. Maybe if they selectively demo the worst of the worst and come up with some plan for the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Eye sore at its finest. The poor east side gets little attention for revitalization efforts

Attachment 4861
    Kudos to the one who manages to set that part on fire. A feat in itself.

Haikoont Guest

To me, it is clear that the Lafayette demolition was precipitated by the Book-Cadillac renovation. The developers sunk a huge amount of money into what many would consider a very risky investment, and the DEGC probably responded to pressure from the developer to bring the building down. So the DEGC is taking down the building to make the developers/owners of the Westin happy.
    I don't buy your theory. You're saying the Westin folks have more influence with the DEGC than the owners of this hotel/motel concern?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Kudos to the one who manages to set that part on fire. A feat in itself.
    Two words...flaming arrows.

Were the Detroiter's living between the plant and Gross Point told to shut their windows as well?

Mauser,Thompson burned about a month ago.I went past it and the gates where open.The next day it was burnt

Zacha341, I had the same thought when I read that article. I also wondered if residents in Highland Park and Hamtramck, much closer than the Pointes, felt left out.

I don't understand why they do not demolish this site. It's just a hazard.

Probably because, I hate to say it, the City of Detroit doesn't give a sh*t about it's residents. And part of it is our own fault, Detroit residents I mean. If we demanded more accountability regarding the decision making process for tearing this stuff down, we might actually see a complex like the Packard become priority as opposed to the Lafayette. The population surrounding the Packard isn't high density, so it would be up to the rest of us to give those resident's the support they would need to get the city's attention.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PeterhuntPrincess View Post
    Zacha341, I had the same thought when I read that article. I also wondered if residents in Highland Park and Hamtramck, much closer than the Pointes, felt left out.
    The wind wasn't blowing to the direction of Hamtown and HP at that moment. To the Pointes is a different direction completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    The east side has been "ground non grata" as it were for at least 30 years. Starting with the demo of Dodge Main and Poletown, installing and running the incinerator, Jefferson North land clearance, etc.

I can feel sorry for the Grosse Pointe residents up to a point. If they had some influence over the past 30+ years concerning the aforementioned disinvestment politically, they should have done so. Perhaps it wouldn't have gotten to this point? Maybe the neighborhood wouldn't have gone to hell? Maybe there would have still have been businesses there? Maybe Archer wouldnt have shut it down, who knows....

It's all like setting dominoes on end then knocking them down. Grosse Pointe is just another domino in the chain of unintended [[or intended?) consequences foisted upon the region by the criminal leadership of the area.

They should start demo on a small scale. Nobody says that it needs to all be done at once. Maybe if they selectively demo the worst of the worst and come up with some plan for the rest?
    Stosh, I think our views on this are fairly similar. Parts of the east side have certainly not been treated well by politicians during the past 30-40 years. I also agree that many in the establishment over the years contributed to this problem. Had a different approach been taking for the east side, perhaps things would have been different.

I agree with your proposal to start demolition slowly. I think that is the most realistic approach. Given the enormity of the project, it will never get done in one shot unless the city were able to obtain a federal grant for the demolition. [[I had though that, when mayor, Ken Cockrel had submitted a request for money to demolish the plant along with a list of other requests for the stimulus bill, but I guess the money was never allocated.). Given the fiscal constraints on the city, I think they should take things a little bit of a time. They could even come up with a 10-15 year project for the demolition and beginning of remediation. While that seems like a long time for a project, the alternative will probably be 10-15 years of the plant catching on fire and decaying.

If it's contaminated, let the EPA deal with it.

Stosh Guest

Stosh, I think our views on this are fairly similar. Parts of the east side have certainly not been treated well by politicians during the past 30-40 years. I also agree that many in the establishment over the years contributed to this problem. Had a different approach been taking for the east side, perhaps things would have been different.

I agree with your proposal to start demolition slowly. I think that is the most realistic approach. Given the enormity of the project, it will never get done in one shot unless the city were able to obtain a federal grant for the demolition. [[I had though that, when mayor, Ken Cockrel had submitted a request for money to demolish the plant along with a list of other requests for the stimulus bill, but I guess the money was never allocated.). Given the fiscal constraints on the city, I think they should take things a little bit of a time. They could even come up with a 10-15 year project for the demolition and beginning of remediation. While that seems like a long time for a project, the alternative will probably be 10-15 years of the plant catching on fire and decaying.
    I agree completely. Start the process and get brownfield funding from the EPA to do it. A cohesive plan for demo could be a catalyst for the right buyer to take control and develop into a new industrial site. Considering the investment GM is making with the Poletown plant in relation to the Volt, seems that maybe it could be a great site to piggyback on that for components related to it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by detroitbob66

Attachment 4861

The scrappers out there slowly dismantling this building, I'm sure, in a rather unofficial capacity.

"If it's contaminated, let the EPA deal with it"

We see how well that's worked out with the Uniroyal/Stoveworks sight.

MichMatters Guest

Well, at least the Uniroyal plant is gone. You can work with that kind of process. The city won't even begin to think about planning for the site's future until the building is gone; that's just the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    The scrappers out there slowly dismantling this building, I'm sure, in a rather unofficial capacity.

"If it's contaminated, let the EPA deal with it"

We see how well that's worked out with the Uniroyal/Stoveworks sight.
    The pollution is there in the ground already. If you tear the building down, the pollution won't change. Why not tear the building down and bulldoze the site? You can then have your discussion about who will remediate fifty plus years of pouring industrial waste onto the ground.

The city can't afford the demolition. The owners are missing in action. The state can't be bothered.

Hand it over to the Feds. Let the stimulus package fund the demolition to begin with and let the EPA deal with what's left as a superfund site. You'd think some of these implosion companies would like to take on a challenge like this, maybe even using it as a training site to teach local contractors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast