Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kercheval bike lanes

I think I like the Kercheval contraflow bike lanes that run from Mt. Elliot to St. Jean and I wonder if this is not a better design than the separated ones on East Jefferson. It would seem that these would be easier to maintain and make cyclists more visible to automobile traffic.

The lanes on Jefferson are on blind spots to motorists making right turns unto side streets from Jefferson especially at night.

Indeed they are better. Kercheval and Livernois between Clarita and 8 Mile are the two best streets we have in the whole city. Every major thoroughfare should be modeled after them, only including some additional dedicated transit lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Indeed they are better. Kercheval and Livernois between Clarita and 8 Mile are the two best streets we have in the whole city. Every major thoroughfare should be modeled after them, only including some additional dedicated transit lanes.
    This x1000. Grade separated bike lanes are vastly superior to the paint and plastic poles on most of the "bike lanes" in the rest of the metro area

The Kercheval bike lanes are for sure a model. Jefferson is utterly unbikeable. I've given up on trying to bike on that street after several narrow misses. mdot's framework for Jefferson doesn't fix any of it either..

Is there a plan to keep these clean? Just rode on the new East Warren bike lane - the construction barrels at still up and already it has broken bottles in it.

I have heard that the E. Jefferson bike lanes are not for biking but a tool used by the city to slow down traffic on E. Jefferson. That would make sense because its about the last place anyone would want to bike. The lanes by West Village are great!

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    The Kercheval bike lanes are for sure a model. Jefferson is utterly unbikeable. I've given up on trying to bike on that street after several narrow misses. mdot's framework for Jefferson doesn't fix any of it either..
    Jefferson between downtown and Belle Isle is essentially a suburban stroad. It's so wide though you could implement literally every urbanists dream there. Grade separated bike lanes, roundabouts, dedicated transit lanes, crossing medians. Just think what it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Jefferson between downtown and Belle Isle is essentially a suburban stroad. It's so wide though you could implement literally every urbanists dream there. Grade separated bike lanes, roundabouts, dedicated transit lanes, crossing medians. Just think what it could be.
    I agree a separated two way bike lane on only one side of Jefferson would make for greater safety and easier maintenance. I often clock cars on the eastbound commute going 50 mph. Hopefully the current bike lanes were just a temporary way of introducing traffic calming and not the final design.

The downfall of the newly constructed streetscape on Kercheval is that there alis no passing lanes for motorist especially if there is a bus that is constantly stopping or a slow moving truck that motorists can legally pass around the left or right side of. Motorist traveling on Mack have this same problem traveling between Gratiot and St Jean. Someone came up with an crazy not thought of idea to put a yellow median lane in the middle of already borrower's streets.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The downfall of the newly constructed streetscape on Kercheval is that there alis no passing lanes for motorist especially if there is a bus that is constantly stopping or a slow moving truck that motorists can legally pass around the left or right side of. Motorist traveling on Mack have this same problem traveling between Gratiot and St Jean. Someone came up with an crazy not thought of idea to put a yellow median lane in the middle of already borrower's streets.
    Busses should be *mostly* out of the travel lane when stopping. They have designated areas to stop. And the speed limit is only 30mph though there. Are there trucks on the road that can't do 30?

It's been my experience that cars only slow down PERHAPS when they see a cyclist! Yet they best pump them brakes when they get to Alter, entering the Pointes. Where when their speed signs say 30 they MEAN 29 MPH!

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    I often clock cars on the eastbound commute going 50 mph. Hopefully the current bike lanes were just a temporary way of introducing traffic calming and not the final design.