Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    I'm inclined to view this as mostly a political move. I don't see a lot of "expertise" in the list that's going to come up with alternatives beyond what's going to be proposed.
    Note: this panel's job is NOT to draw up a list of solutions to Detroit's budget, but to finalize the preliminary report to the governor on Detroit's finances. They will recommend/ not recommend he appoint an EM. The EM is charged with fixing things.

Ummmmm.

The final report from this "commission" will not recommend an EM; rather a EFM.

EMs in the past have been charged with "fixing things" and I'm sure that there is some sort of example where this model has been completely successful and returned a City to fiscal heath in the State of Michigan.

Right? Right?

ummmmmmm.

"Note: this panel's job is NOT to draw up a list of solutions to Detroit's budget, but to finalize the preliminary report to the governor on Detroit's finances. They will recommend/ not recommend he appoint an EM. The EM is charged with fixing things."

If you read my earlier post, the key thing that the panel can do is to create a consent agreement. Otherwise, it's just a group to rubberstamp a recommendation.

My opinion:

Detroit is at Def Con 2. We all know that decades of escaping population, government mismanagement, industries relocating and many more reasons have brought Detroit to where we are at today. Snyder's rubber stamp group of Detroiters is just that, a rubber stamp to authorize Governor Snyder to appoint his viceroy to Detroit and the funny thing about this is that Snyder needs no group to do this. This is window dressing because there is a racial component in play here and Snyder does not want to look like Massa returning home kicking the freed slaves out of the main house.

What we as Detroiters should demand is bold ideas not only to free Detroit from its money problems but what direction it can go. Some time ago, Rep Hansen Clarke stated that he introduced a bill that would mandate that the federal government withhold Detroiters fed. income tax for five years and then use that money for Detroit debt issues. Granted we know that the bill will never see the light of day but it was a bold idea. I want to hear "out of the box" ideas because the old line about cut this, cut that can save you a dollar today but what about next week?

Back to the review team......I know that Detroit is in a different class from the other cities that have had EM appointed to run those cities but were those cities afforded the opportunity of having a review team of their citizens to view the books before the state dropped the hammer and inserted the EM? I would imagine that the answer would be no but Detroit being Detroit gets a review team to "gloss" over the number before Snyder announces the new EM for Detroit. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    My opinion:

Detroit is at Def Con 2. We all know that decades of escaping population, government mismanagement, industries relocating and many more reasons have brought Detroit to where we are at today. Snyder's rubber stamp group of Detroiters is just that, a rubber stamp to authorize Governor Snyder to appoint his viceroy to Detroit and the funny thing about this is that Snyder needs no group to do this. This is window dressing because there is a racial component in play here and Snyder does not want to look like Massa returning home kicking the freed slaves out of the main house.

What we as Detroiters should demand is bold ideas not only to free Detroit from its money problems but what direction it can go. Some time ago, Rep Hansen Clarke stated that he introduced a bill that would mandate that the federal government withhold Detroiters fed. income tax for five years and then use that money for Detroit debt issues. Granted we know that the bill will never see the light of day but it was a bold idea. I want to hear "out of the box" ideas because the old line about cut this, cut that can save you a dollar today but what about next week?

Back to the review team......I know that Detroit is in a different class from the other cities that have had EM appointed to run those cities but were those cities afforded the opportunity of having a review team of their citizens to view the books before the state dropped the hammer and inserted the EM? I would imagine that the answer would be no but Detroit being Detroit gets a review team to "gloss" over the number before Snyder announces the new EM for Detroit. I wonder why?
    I agree with everything you say except for one thing...I think we're at DEFCON 1.

The time for bold ideas was 3-5 years ago, when McKinsey, BB&K, and so many others were sounding the alarms about decreasing revenues and increasing structural costs. The tragedy is that it would've take someone with the political authority of an EFM to execute the necessary changes. But unfortunately, an EFM couldn't be appointed until long past the time where the changes would've had any positive effect.

That's the Catch-22. You needed a dictator to cut through the bureaucracy. But you can't put in a dictator until you're at a point that's pretty much irreparable.

I hope I'm wrong, and I really would love to see the city come through with bold solutions to avoid an EFM.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I agree with everything you say except for one thing...I think we're at DEFCON 1.

The time for bold ideas was 3-5 years ago, when McKinsey, BB&K, and so many others were sounding the alarms about decreasing revenues and increasing structural costs. The tragedy is that it would've take someone with the political authority of an EFM to execute the necessary changes. But unfortunately, an EFM couldn't be appointed until long past the time where the changes would've had any positive effect.

That's the Catch-22. You needed a dictator to cut through the bureaucracy. But you can't put in a dictator until you're at a point that's pretty much irreparable.

I hope I'm wrong, and I really would love to see the city come through with bold solutions to avoid an EFM.
    Def Con 1 for finances. Def Con 2 for on the verge of losing control.

I'm not even mad about a EM coming in because Detroit is nearing tipping over the edge and there is no miracle coming from the skies.

I am mad that TPTB is attempting to sell the EM as the savior when we all know that Detroit has no other recourse but to file for bankruptcy. The future EM will try to sell Detroit property, laid off workers and cut benefits but in the end, he or she will go down in flames because Detroit's debt is generational and the media keeps reporting $12 billion. Sadly, there will not be enough cuts to reduce that debt.

I wonder how will these reviewers will be received.. will they be doing any press? have any specific job assignments been mentioned yet?
    ...not liking the prospect of EM, but I want the full truth of the city's finances to be exposed, embarrassment be darned.. Pugh's comment about not wanting to "alarm" the public was wrong.
    I wonder what all departments or services will get recommended for privatizing.. and how that will affect such services..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2