Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My parents' favorite store was Sears. We shopped at the Grand River/Oakman store until that closed, then on to the Lincoln Park location, until Sears opened at Fairlane. I continued the tradition only for major appliances, lawn mowers, snow blowers, and tools. Needed a new fridge to replace my 23-year-old Frigidaire in mid-August, so I went to the Sears at Livonia Mall to make my purchase. Walked in, and there was LITERALLY nobody in the mens department. I encountered one elderly couple on the way to major appliances, where I saw one sales associate waiting on another elderly couple. Checked out the fridges, made my selection, and seeked out another sales associate. Not only was there no one else around, I walked back to menswear, then over to tools, and STILL couldn't find anyone to help me. Went back to appliances and waited for the lone associate to finish waiting on the other couple. And waited. And waited. No acknowledgement, no "I'll be with you in a minute"--nothing. After about 15 minutes, I left, went straight for Best Buy where I bought another Frigidaire in no time flat. Needless to say, I have visited my last Sears EVER.

Sears Macomb to close. Most of us saw this one coming a long time ago, and it has been discussed on several retail threads. Could potentially be either a major setback--or an opportunity---regarding the recent effort to "revive" the center. It certainly leaves a large parcel of land to be filled.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears...-stores-2017-6

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Sears Macomb to close. Most of us saw this one coming a long time ago, and it has been discussed on several retail threads. Could potentially be either a major setback--or an opportunity---regarding the recent effort to "revive" the center. It certainly leaves a large parcel of land to be filled.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears...-stores-2017-6
    Sears Canada on life support:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...ImpjEVtODJBB6w

All of the stores, both in the U.S. and Canada, are on their way out. They are separate companies now [[though entangled), but there is no really conceivable endgame for either except for bankruptcy - Sears Canada is there now - and eventual liquidation. I haven't been in a Sears in Canada in years, but the U.S. stores have been pathetic for a very long time.

Shelby/Utica [[23 Mile & Van Dyke) is in the liquidation process. Big Lots [[co-tenant in the center) will close as well. The parcel is already designated for multi-unit housing.

St Clair Shores [[9 Mile & Harper) just announced. Not certain, but I believe this was this was the 3rd store to open [[after Garden City & Pontiac). For decades, this was one of the most profitable locations.

Kroger will demolish the existing structure and re-build. I'm guessing this will leave the fate of the existing Kroger stores at 9 Mile & Mack and Jefferson & Marter rather dicey.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...r-kroger-store

^^^^And also the Kroger on 9 mile across from the McDonalds. Too many in close proximity.

^^^^And also the Kroger on 9 mile across from the McDonalds

. . .Kroger will demolish the existing structure and re-build. I'm guessing this will leave the fate of the existing Kroger stores at 9 Mile & Mack and Jefferson & Marter rather dicey.

^^^^And also the Kroger on 9 mile across from the McDonalds
    oops. Meant to say there's also the one right on mack ave. where the bowling alley used to be. I believe near Parcell's School.
    Last edited by Maof; September-15-17 at 02:27 PM.

I think that the Jefferson & Marter Road Kroger will stay in place, due to its' proximity to the Pointes. The 9 Mile & Greater Mack Kroger store will be relocated to the much larger Harper & 9 Mile site of the [[soon to be) former Kmart.

That Kmart site is a very large parcel, nearly twice the size of other nearby Kroger stores. They could easily fit a Best Buy or other big box [[non-drug store) into that site, in addition to the Kroger.

The 9 Mile/Greater Mack Kroger that will be torn down is in the SCS "Town Center" area... and could see some interesting developments.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-15-17 at 04:34 PM.

To add to Gistok's post about the Marter Road Kroger, they recently poured a ton of money into that location a few years ago to make it into a "Super Store."

It's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That Kmart site is a very large parcel, nearly twice the size of other nearby Kroger stores. They could easily fit a Best Buy or other big box [[non-drug store) into that site.
    The 9 Mile and Harper Kroger will be identical to the 13 Mile / Little Mack Kroger [[which is also on the site of a former Big Kmart).

Kroger's planning the same thing at the old Big Kmart on 13 Mile and Schoenherr.

So with that being known, there won't be any room left for other retailers.

I'm glad to see that KMart on Harper at 9 Mile going away. I haven't been in that store in over twenty years but I remember it being a disgusting schlock house.

A nice new Kroger store will be much better for the residents of that neighborhood.

I stopped going to Kroger years back when they started the card crap and literally doubled their prices overnight.

Sears Canada is expected to get final court approval tomorrow to liquidate all 130 remaining stores, putting about 12000 out of work and probably without their pensions. The store in our area just completed a total renovation. That leaves Canada with just Walmart and Hudson's Bay as lower to mid-level dept. stores and HB is basically just clothes and mattresses these days. It would be nice for JC Penney or Macy's to move in but they are in full retrench mode as well. Expect a lot more cross border shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To add to Gistok's post about the Marter Road Kroger, they recently poured a ton of money into that location a few years ago to make it into a "Super Store."
    It's not going anywhere.
    Ditto the one on Mack. They didn't pour a ton of money into it, but they did a pretty substantial remodel a few years ago. My mom shops there and says it's pretty busy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Ditto the one on Mack. They didn't pour a ton of money into it, but they did a pretty substantial remodel a few years ago. My mom shops there and says it's pretty busy all the time.
    The one on Mack used to be a Farmer Jack way back when. It's like a Baby Kroger, but yes, it gets very good business.

Kroger will demolish the existing structure and re-build. I'm guessing this will leave the fate of the existing Kroger stores at 9 Mile & Mack and Jefferson & Marter rather dicey.
    From going on other sources, I doubt this will end up being a Marketplace location. Earlier this year Kroger cancelled plans for all Marketplace stores other than the ones that already started construction [[including the new Southgate location, incidentally in a former Kmart building).

It sort of fell off under the radar, but I noticed last week that the Oakland Mall Sears, at least a portion of it, is also being converted to an At Home store.

In addition to that, I noticed the Sears at Macomb Mall has officially closed.

The Sears in Windsor at Devonshire Mall will close [[along with all Sears stores in Canada) at some point in the coming 10-14 weeks. I believe the plan is to start the liquidation next week [[October 19). The Devonshire Sears is 205,000 square feet and opened with the Mall in 1970. While they may get creative and reconfigure the space, it's likely a tear-down with some sort of redevelopment on that site. I suppose a relocation of the existing Hudson's Bay is also possible - given that the lower level of that store was damaged by flooding this past summer.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    The Sears in Windsor at Devonshire Mall will close [[along with all Sears stores in Canada) at some point in the coming 10-14 weeks. I believe the plan is to start the liquidation next week [[October 19). The Devonshire Sears is 205,000 square feet and opened with the Mall in 1970. While they may get creative and reconfigure the space, it's likely a tear-down with some sort of redevelopment on that site. I suppose a relocation of the existing Hudson's Bay is also possible - given that the lower level of that store was damaged by flooding this past summer.
    Yes, the heartbeat is fading...
    Attachment 34361

I remember when they would always have 4 or 5 registers open and there would be several people in each line. Didn't really matter the time or day.

Now, when I go into our only store, they almost never have more than one register open and rarely is there more than 3 or 4 people waiting. Usually I go right to checkout with no one in front of me.

As previously discussed Harper/9 Mile is also closing to make way for a large Kroger store. The STORE CLOSING sale at Harper/9 Mile is already underway. If you're in the area check out the "Store Closing" sign on the front of the building - complete with the 1970s/80s Kmart logo...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    As previously discussed Harper/9 Mile is also closing to make way for a large Kroger store. The STORE CLOSING sale at Harper/9 Mile is already underway. If you're in the area check out the "Store Closing" sign on the front of the building - complete with the 1970s/80s Kmart logo...
    I'll add some notes to this one...

1. From what I believe, this Kroger store will not be a Marketplace. A while ago Kroger halted all plans for Marketplace stores nationwide with the exceptions of those that were already under construction [[including Fort Street, itself in a former Kmart).
    2. From personal observations that is actually...believe it or not...the Australian Kmart logo, which kinda looks like the original 1962 logo.

The end is nigh for the once mighty retail chains Sears & Kmart. At current pace, all stores would be closed in about 3-4 years. But I think the pace is only accelerating. Major suppliers- for fear of incurring losses- are now also shortening terms for being paid for their products. This is what led Sears to "drop" Whirlpool a few weeks ago. By "drop" they meant that Whirlpool wanted more money upfront to fill out their appliance sections. Sears/Kmart clearly has no additional money, so they can't carry the famous Whirlpool appliances anymore. And as I have noted before: fewer stores means greater cost of management per store, less and weaker buying power, and no hope of renovations or improvements to make them competitive with stores of the 1990's. They have also effectively ceased national advertising and sponsorships. My prediction is complete liquidation and closure of Kmart by Oct 1, 2018 & Sears by June 1, 2019. Certainly things, like rebranded Sears Auto Centers [[Diehard Auto Centers will be the name for the ones that remain) will be spun off; Kenmore and a few other Sears-specific brands will be sold off to other retailers. And the rapid sale of real estate owned by Sears Holdings Co, including real estate with still-open stores, will continue to accelerate. Oddly, a lot of their real estate [[and they own a lot, much more than most retailers who rent spaces) will be worth more when the Sears and Kmart stores close.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast