Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Just announced. Sears Lakeside & Fairlane on the chopping block:

https://searsholdings.com/docs/05311...osing-list.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Just announced. Sears Lakeside & Fairlane on the chopping block:

https://searsholdings.com/docs/05311...osing-list.pdf
    At least Westland is staying put. Had that closed, that would've dealt at least a big blow to that mall.

Wow, there is a Sears at Fairlane isn't there? I honestly cannot recall if I have ever set foot inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    At least Westland is staying put. Had that closed, that would've dealt at least a big blow to that mall.
    How is Westland faring since the Macy's closure? That signaled the death knell for Northland & Eastland. The Westland area is not nearly as distressed as the Detroit neighborhoods that were adjacent to the other two.

Still, the retail landscape is so fragile it wouldn't surprise me if business has dropped off at Westland substantially just in the last year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Wow, there is a Sears at Fairlane isn't there? I honestly cannot recall if I have ever set foot inside it.
    I was there at least once, to pick up a Land's End shirt in a hurry - white shirt, big coffee, bad cup, big meeting.

Looks like Sears Oakland has been added to the closures:

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._see_list.html

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Looks like Sears Oakland has been added to the closures:

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._see_list.html
    Not surprising.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, like the Macomb Mall store, they've already begun transitioning it to an At Home storr.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not surprising.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, like the Macomb Mall store, they've already begun transitioning it to an At Home storr.
    Very true, but the Oakland property differs in that it was originally supposed to be a boilerplate for one [[of many) Sears' "formula to survive". The concept is to lease/sell a chunk of the original footprint to another specialty retailer [[in this case, At Home), then use the proceeds to upgrade the remaining space into a more limited merchandise Sears [[mostly appliance & hard goods).

The closing indicates another failed idea.

Another surefire winner they are testing in Brooklyn is to offer a limited-merchandise Kmart on one floor of an existing Sears. In other words, two stones tying themselves together in an effort to float.
    Last edited by Onthe405; June-29-18 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not surprising.

But what if At Home decides eventually to close both of those stores as well?

But what if At Home decides eventually to close both of those stores as well?
    Unlikelt, at least in the near future.

At Home's been one of the few stores undergoing a massive expansion. They've been the main ones taking over vacant Sears stores

Bumping.

Sears is officially bankrupt. Lake Orion Kmart and Briarwood and Lincoln Park Sears are on the shutdown list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1645971002/

Sears is officially bankrupt.
    I'm shocked it has taken this long. It's a chapter 11, so they're going to try to reorganize things and continue operating.

It's just odd how things that were giant pillars of commerce when I was growing up in the 90's are now just so... irrelevant.

^^ Remember the Spiegel Catalog? Didn't they sponsor shows like 'Let's Make a Deal?'

Bumping.

Sears is officially bankrupt. Lake Orion Kmart and Briarwood and Lincoln Park Sears are on the shutdown list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1645971002/
    Thank God Briarwood is closing. That store has been useless for a long time. I am hoping for Nordstrom or Saks to take the space and am tired of trekking to 12 Oaks or Somerset for good shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ Remember the Spiegel Catalog? Didn't they sponsor shows like 'Let's Make a Deal?'

In volume, probably a smaller company than they were back in the '60s/'70s, but, amazingly, Spiegel did survive the online revolution. On Buzzr, you can still view Carol Merrill's extended arm and hear Jay Stewart's voice "It's from Spiegel . .Chicago, IL 60609":

https://www.spiegel.com/history-of-spiegel/

Aside from the bankruptcy, I'm almost certain Lake Orion Kmart was already slated for closure once the lease expired. Hollywood Market, the other major tenant in the center, closed quite some time ago. I believe the entire shopping center was sold and redevelopment is planned for that parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by smallferret View Post
    Thank God Briarwood is closing. That store has been useless for a long time. I am hoping for Nordstrom or Saks to take the space and am tired of trekking to 12 Oaks or Somerset for good shopping.

Possibly, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Nordstrom & Saks are already facing strong headwinds with most of their existing stores. Using the word "cautious" is an understatement when it comes to considering opening new stores--particularly within the context of a traditional, legacy-style mall like Briarwood.

Pop worked for Montgomery Wards 1942 - 1961 [[up to his death in that year). Monkey Ward's workers hated Sears with a passion. Sears laughed when Ward's shut down.

I just hope pop is really enjoying this last laugh!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6